BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

(vote after you've read my entire post :P)

I've noticed lately there are (in the "New Puzzles" forum) FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND new posts EVERY NANOSECOND! Okay, maybe not that much, but once I made a puzzle topic, went away for like ten minutes, came back, and it was already shunted to the second page and swamped by tons of other topics. Not sure if they're all new or just resurrected older topics, but the posting is tremendous in the New Puzzles forum.

To me, it seems kinda silly to have the main, most-used, swamped "New Puzzles" forum all crammed into one forum. There are so many new members now with so many topics and things that it's starting to get overwhelming. I hardly check "New Puzzles" anymore, only occasionally, and then only read a couple topics, because of the sheer amounts.

So I'm suggesting splitting up "New Puzzles" into a couple of basic puzzle categories... math, logic, lateral, word and then another one called 'riddle' for poem-riddle-things as well as riddles where the actual category of the riddle is to remain hidden (ie, a lateral puzzle made to look like a math puzzle, etc, though you could put this in math section to make it extra-tricky)

actually, my revised idea... split "New Puzzles" into:

New Math Puzzles

New Logic Puzzles

New Lateral Puzzles

New Word Puzzles

New Riddles and Puzzles

where "New Riddles and Puzzles" is just "New Puzzles" renamed

now before you freak out, there would be NO ATTEMPT MADE to organize all currently existing topics into these categories. That would be a titanic job. It would take days without sleep. Therefore I'm suggesting that we leave all current riddles in "Riddles and Puzzles" but then FROM NOW ON people will post their riddle under the category of their choosing- it doesn't necessarily have to fit, ie, you could post a word puzzle under "Math" and a moderator won't move it. Some riddles would require the maker to put it in a different category. Anyway, what I'm saying is: it wouldnt be enforced, but recommended and people would do it anyway, with the forums there. That way all the "New Puzzles" aren't hyper-concentrated into one forum, they have some space to breath, and an added bonus is that people that like certain types of riddles, like me, can go to a specific forum of their liking and not have to sift through other riddles. For example, if I want a good math-related riddle, I can check out "New Math Puzzles"

sound good? Vote and let me know what you think! :D

that's a lot of changes ... you have to count on the fact that new members will not know what type of puzzle they are submitting and where to submit it ... even now some of them post puzzles in section dedicated to my puzzles and not to the user submitted section ... imagine going through 900 already submitted puzzles in new puzzles section and moving them to the new categories ... aaaah, now I noticed that you see the titanic job it would be

overall opinion: sounds great, if you would moderate it ;) ... would you?

that's a lot of changes ... you have to count on the fact that new members will not know what type of puzzle they are submitting and where to submit it ... even now some of them post puzzles in section dedicated to my puzzles and not to the user submitted section

yeah though most people put em in New Puzzles, and when/if you split New Puzzles into categories people will see that 'these' are for puzzles posted by members and 'those' are for puzzles posted by the admin :D

If you really want to be picky and stop people from posting in the Admin-Posted Puzzle forums, I'd just lock those forums from members making new topics, but make it so it's possible to REPLY to existing topics. You can do that on phpbb88 so I'm sure you can do it here :D

... imagine going through 900 already submitted puzzles in new puzzles section and moving them to the new categories ... aaaah, now I noticed that you see the titanic job it would be

yeah see the part in my OP where I said "before you freak out", lol :P

overall opinion: sounds great, if you would moderate it wink.gif ... would you?

uh, sure ;D

i have lots of admin/mod experience, see the link to The Revival in my sig, and The Revival is our fourth forum. Oh and I moderate at a site called RPCentral :D

but sure, I'd be up to the job :P

I voted No but I want to clarify. I really don't have a strong opinion on this at all. I can understand that the increased workload this would cause would be undesirable, and it doesn't bother me to have everything in one forum, since I usually use the View New Posts link anyway. On the other hand, if the mods are up to it, I certainly don't think it's a bad idea.

Wait! You'd let unreality mod? Ok, that's all the reason I needed to vote NO. :P

well if i am allowed input/suggestion even, I would say yes something is needed to encourage new users to keep visiting without making it complicated.

I am sure some people just want to find puzzles that suit them, though they miss the chance to stumble on something new, which may be easy or fun.

Not necessary for me to go either way on this - would like to ensure visitors/newbies find it worth comming back.

When is a new puzzle old?

When is an old puzzle exhausted?

I think the word New needs to go.

I tink clear labeling will help.

I think answers should be withheld for as long as possible.

I think it's time for bed!

no split yet ... I am quite busy these days ... I will keep you posted

I would suggest just maybe two/three categories..

Word

Math/Logic

These are two completely different styles and I stink at word ones, but excel at math. I am sure there are other people who stink at math excel at word. I might be more siding with this because of the shear volume of word puzzles that have popped up lately, ie 90% who am Is?

I vote "no" because, while I find it a good idea to have them split, I find it less convenient. I like having all of the puzzles right there in front of me. Yes, it's more cluttered that way, BUT I'd just prefer to scroll through the clutter on one page. If I were doing this, I would remove the blue/red folders and use that space to declare what type of puzzle. Put a "M" for math, "L" for logic, etc. While I'm on it, the little section to the right of that where people will put smileys sometimes, I refer back to Itachi's suggestion of allowing poster to let it known whether or not the puzzle has been solved, and use that spot to alert whether or not the puzzle has been solved. That is a bit of a programming chore, no doubt, probably most easily accessed through the user page and embedding the protocol through the "most recent posts."

I think it would help a lot if threads were locked a month or so after they're solved. That way puzzles from six months ago wouldn't keep getting resurrected. And, maybe having a minimum number of posts required before members can start a topic? That might help with all of the repetition of previously posted puzzles. I don't know if these ideas are even possible, just a thought.

Edited by Nikyma

I think it would help a lot if threads were locked a month or so after they're solved. That way puzzles from six months ago wouldn't keep getting resurrected. That might help with all of the repetition of previously posted puzzles. I don't know if these ideas are even possible, just a thought.

Not sure I like the idea of locking them unnecessarily. Sometimes there really is room for further comment even after a lot of time goes by. Perhaps if there are no recent comments and it's several months old that would be fine, but I guess I'd be happy to leave that call to the moderators rather than making a specific rule. What would be nice, though, is if there were a way to make it just a bit harder to resurrect old threads. The big red IMPORTANT message is a good step in the right direction, but one further validation step might be helpful (some sort of a confirmation warning page: "If you are simply posting a repeat answer, you will be prosecuted!"). Nothing I can think of would be easy to implement, though.

And, maybe having a minimum number of posts required before members can start a topic?

My gut feeling is that would be a turn-off to new members, but perhaps it would only bother trigger-happy newbies. It's difficult to balance a relaxed and appealing forum-feel with an appropriate level of quality control. I was going to say that I think it's a bad idea, but as I'm typing this, I realize I could go either way on it.

Not sure I like the idea of locking them unnecessarily. Sometimes there really is room for further comment even after a lot of time goes by. Perhaps if there are no recent comments and it's several months old that would be fine, but I guess I'd be happy to leave that call to the moderators rather than making a specific rule. What would be nice, though, is if there were a way to make it just a bit harder to resurrect old threads. The big red IMPORTANT message is a good step in the right direction, but one further validation step might be helpful (some sort of a confirmation warning page: "If you are simply posting a repeat answer, you will be prosecuted!"). Nothing I can think of would be easy to implement, though.

My gut feeling is that would be a turn-off to new members, but perhaps it would only bother trigger-happy newbies. It's difficult to balance a relaxed and appealing forum-feel with an appropriate level of quality control. I was going to say that I think it's a bad idea, but as I'm typing this, I realize I could go either way on it.

The forum is fun and intriguing at the same time, and yes there are a few trigger happy people. Locking a thread is a death sentence on a topic and i don't want to see a repeated answer to a topic, unless there is no answer then it's like a vote for that answer by confirming. I also like the idea that someone a year later has an original answer/spin and we all can do with a little levity. Make it to serious and it becomes a Mensa forum.

DP you noted an old closed thread that had no further response to it, if left open it can be ignored, if closed it's like a taboo.

I hope to see only quality posts funny, intelligent or even smart.

Quality over quantity = take away the No. of posts view and promotion, and allow unlimited edit to own topic after month one.

Increase the size of personal photo (pixel size is going UP)

I think it is a good and necessary enhancement. Here is a little twist on the idea:

The categories need not be mutually exclusive. So here are some categories to start with:

ALL NEW PUZZLES (same the present New Puzzles forum)

UNSOLVED PUZZLES

MYSTERIES

WORD PUZZLES

MATH PUZZLES (algebra, geometry, calculus, computer programming)

LOGIC PUZZLES

GAMES/BOARD

Naturally, the UNSOLVED category, as well as other categories may require some consensus. I suggest using the board of Moderators and VIPs for that. Since the same category of all new puzzles, would remain, I don't see why this suggestion would draw any objections from members.

The real issue is the programming effort. I'm guessing that would involve:

1. Change to Puzzle Database to add a puzzle type field. (Or reuse some of the available fields.)

2. Add code to display new categories, including new quireies to extract puzzles based on puzzle type.

3. Add code to implement mechanism for assigning a type to a puzzle.

The last change is not entirely clear. I don't think simply posting new puzzle to a different forum, as it is done presently, is a viable solution. (You can never rely on individual posters' voluntary compliance.) So I would add a new field "puzzle type" to fill out with each new post along with the title and description.

Then there would be a need to run one time conversion, adding new field to all existing puzzles.

It is quite a bit of programming effort there. So a related suggestion to Rookie: find some way for programmer forum members to lend help.

I think it is a good and necessary enhancement. Here is a little twist on the idea:

The categories need not be mutually exclusive. So here are some categories to start with:

ALL NEW PUZZLES (same the present New Puzzles forum)

UNSOLVED PUZZLES

MYSTERIES

WORD PUZZLES

MATH PUZZLES (algebra, geometry, calculus, computer programming)

LOGIC PUZZLES

GAMES/BOARD

Naturally, the UNSOLVED category, as well as other categories may require some consensus. I suggest using the board of Moderators and VIPs for that. Since the same category of all new puzzles, would remain, I don't see why this suggestion would draw any objections from members.

I would like to see an UNSOLVED catagory as well.

I agree with having "solved" and "unsolved" catagories.

I agree with this however, would poeple still visit the unsolved puzzles? I would think twice about it, and in doing this would reduce the number overall posts.

I also suggest to add a games section, for Paper Sissors Rock, Mafia, etc..

I will be able to add a "Solved" button to the forum if you want where the OP can mark a answer as solving the puzzle, asuming you are allowed to change the program with you license of the software!

Edited by taliesin

I am completely for this.

Actually, the huge flooding of the "New Puzzles" section is half the reason I pretty much NEVER go there anymore.

Also, many of the puzzles aren't the kind that fit my tastes, deeper organization will totally help me find the kind I want

The other half is my someone recent love for debate and discussion, which fits more into the "others" sections. Which is where %99 of my posting takes place.

And if Unreality is moderating it, that makes it all the better :D

So yeah, if this happens, then you can expect to see me in a section other than "others" :D

I also wouldn't say no to a "games" section, under miscellaneous.

As I'm sure everyone knows, ever since Mafia, there seems to be a huge popularity of games on the Forums.

So.. Yeah, once again, I could see how this would be EVEN MORE work (which no one wants)

But I'm sure you could find someone to moderate it.

I see that comments are welcome to post. I like things the way they are, and if members do not want to read then, don't read. No more criticizing, no more troubles. I believe improvements will be brought when absolutely needed. Continuous complaints do not reconstruct matters at all. Best bet is to create an improvement, and then present it respectfully, and test it out before utilizing it. I have no qualms about anything as of yet.

I may have some great ideas for the future. Hope someone may beat me to them. :D

I also wouldn't say no to a "games" section, under miscellaneous.

As I'm sure everyone knows, ever since Mafia, there seems to be a huge popularity of games on the Forums.

So.. Yeah, once again, I could see how this would be EVEN MORE work (which no one wants)

But I'm sure you could find someone to moderate it.

due to the increased interest in games here and a steady trend of playing them and starting new ones, I have created new forum section "Games" under "Miscellaneous"

if you feel that some threads were not moved properly to "Games", then pm me or the moderators