BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Eagle has soared

tiger_lily111

The word "hero" can mean many things, depending on who you ask. Neil Armstrong was a hero to many. A pilot, a Navy officer, an engineer, a test pilot, an astronaut. The first man to set foot and walk on the Earth's moon. A good man. To me, he was also a fellow Boilermaker and band alum.

My parents were still in school when Apollo 11 landed on the moon. I remember them both telling me about it when I was younger. It was one of those defining moments of history that anyone who experienced remembers where they were and what they were doing.

As a graduate of Purdue, I have always been proud that Neil was a fellow alumnus. He was gracious enough throughout his life to continue his association with and support of the university. I had the privilege of meeting him once, when he was on campus for a Homecoming weekend. He came to watch Friday afternoon marching band practice. That's something I'll be telling my own kids and grandkids one day.

Thank you, Neil, for your service and bravery. Godspeed. May you soar among the heavens, in peace.