BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Is there ... Presence, and Future?

wolfgang

I was in my way to do shoping when I looked at my watch, it was 10:12 a.m.,and the seconds were moving on contineously.

I asked myself , what time is it now?

Then I went further in my question,,,is there any time we can called it (now)?

Anything happened in a millisecond moved to be a part of the past, and so on...

So there is NO presence and NO future, but only PAST.

According to my theory...we are living at the edge of infinty travelling contieously to the past.

Am I right?

:help::wacko:

No, you're not. because you can think about it this way: there is a gate from witch many people are going through, but in only one direction. the gate is the present, the stream of people still to go through is the future, and the people already gone is the past. This is just my opinion.

Now I know why Einstein adorns your avatar...:dry::P

As I see it, we are travelling in the time path that is the present...the past is a name we give to a bit of 'time' that happened, as we claim...now if we consider your theory, we'd be living in the past, but since the past is time that is gone, it is not possible to state that as a fact, so your theory would be null & possibly, void. Yet, we have the 'future'...it is time that will come, but it hasn't come yet. Future can lead from 1 second later to eons later, but since it comes eventually, we cannot say we live in the future either, coz it will eventually become past. Therefore, we can factually state that we live in the present, coz the present can become past, but the past can never become present...the present leads to future or changes it, but future can't change the present or lead to the present. Hence, we live in the present...btw, anyone got a present for me?

:wacko::P

We define the past as the things that happen before the present, the future as the things that happen after the present. If there is no present, how can there be a past of future?

Edited by Thalia

I was in my way to do shoping when I looked at my watch, it was 10:12 a.m.,and the seconds were moving on contineously.

I asked myself , what time is it now?

It was 10:12 a.m. and some seconds. We don't have the equipment (or the need) to know much more accurately then that.

Yes. It's called "now." Do you want a practical numerical way of describing "now"? It's 10:12 a.m. Or do you want an exact down to the split-nano-second way of describing "now"? Then why?

Your argument is like saying, "Can you measure a split trillionth of a millimeter? No? Then there is no distance, just stuff behind me!"

Only because a new moment is "now." If the millisecond moment didn't move to the past, time would not be moving.

Your argument is like saying as you drive on the highway, "That last mile marker was here and then gone. Every mile marker will just pass right by. There must be no road in front of me!"

So something that will happen but hasn't happened yet... is in the past?

Am I right?

No.

According to my theory...we are living at the edge of infinty travelling contieously to the past.

Well okay, yes, whatever happens always goes into the past (according to our human perception). But that's just a fact about what time is.

Edited by psykomakia

Look. There is an instant in time that you are currently experiencing. Even if it is so short you can't say the word "Now" in it. But it exists, and you are experiencing it. The time when you started reading this post, that's the past. The time when you finish reading this sentence, that's the future, and I added this bit so it will have been the future when you read the first clause. Past, present, future. The end.