BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Naughts and Ones

bonanova

Question

Treating the capital letters as geometric shapes, I classify them as "naughts" and "ones."

The naughts are: ABEFGHKPQRSTXY

The ones are: CDIJLMNOUVWZ

Applying the same assignment rule, if you can discern it, which four of the digits 0123456789 are "ones"?

What is the rule?

10 answers to this question

I'm bugged by the following:

S is a nought, Z is a one. This suggests that a rule about curves vs. straight lines is involved. But...

G and Q are noughts; C and O are ones.

All of the ones can be drawn without lifting pencil from paper or retracting steps. Almost none of the noughts can - except for G, B, P and and S.

I'm bugged by the following:

S is a nought, Z is a one. This suggests that a rule about curves vs. straight lines is involved. But...

G and Q are noughts; C and O are ones.

All of the ones can be drawn without lifting pencil from paper or retracting steps. Almost none of the noughts can - except for G, B, P and and S.

Thinking along the right lines (npi).

How many of each can be drawn on a sheet of paper?

A-ha.

Given a sheet of paper of infinite size and the ability to draw infinitely (trans-finitely) many letters of any size (without rotation), you could fill a sheet of paper with 'one' letters completely, without showing any white space. A second copy of a one letter can be made to fit neatly inside or next to a first copy.

In contrast, no matter how many copies of a naught you put on the page, you will always trap a certain amount of whitespace between them.

So the ones are:

0, 1, and 7. 2 almost works, but not quite. I'm not sure if J is really a one, though.

Edited by WitchOfSecrets

A-ha.

Given a sheet of paper of infinite size and the ability to draw infinitely (trans-finitely) many letters of any size (without rotation), you could fill a sheet of paper with 'one' letters completely, without showing any white space. A second copy of a one letter can be made to fit neatly inside or next to a first copy.

In contrast, no matter how many copies of a naught you put on the page, you will always trap a certain amount of whitespace between them.

So the ones are:

0, 1, and 7. 2 almost works, but not quite. I'm not sure if J is really a one, though.

That's the notion I had in mind.

Nice.

Actually a [finite] sheet of printer paper suffices to show the distinction of the two classes.

Details of the type font come into play, but I think in BD font face only four of the decimal digits are type 1.

Three of yours are in that group.

J works as a 'nested' one, you put smaller/larger J's around it. For that same reason, I'm going to guess the last number is 3? It's kinda hard to see with the font, but I think you can nest them inside each other.

That's the right reason and the right answer.

And is the "naught" and "one" distinction evident?