BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

See the difference

bonanova

Question

11 answers to this question

ILMRV has b=3, c=3, d=4, e=3, f=3 similarities MPRSV has a=3, c=3, d=4, e=3, f=3 similarities LMQRS has a=3, b=3, d=4, e=3, f=3 similarities LMRSV has a=4, b=4, c=4, e=4, f=4 similarities KLRSV has a=3, b=3, c=3, d=4, f=3 similarities CLMSV has a=3, b=3, c=3, d=4, e=3 similarities So the answer is line 4 LMRSV

• Upvote 1

ILMRV has b=3, c=3, d=4, e=3, f=3 similarities MPRSV has a=3, c=3, d=4, e=3, f=3 similarities LMQRS has a=3, b=3, d=4, e=3, f=3 similarities LMRSV has a=4, b=4, c=4, e=4, f=4 similarities KLRSV has a=3, b=3, c=3, d=4, f=3 similarities CLMSV has a=3, b=3, c=3, d=4, e=3 similarities So the answer is line 4 LMRSV

This seems like the string that has the most similarities to all the other strings. The question asks for which is the most different.

Because it shares two letters in common with the word "different" while all other strings share just one. It is therefore the most "different"

It is the only string with a 10 point Scrabble® letter.

Adding adjacent roman numerals and allowing single and adjacent non-roman numerals to be minus signs, this string has the largest difference.

I've got more. :)

Because it shares two letters in common with the word "different" while all other strings share just one. It is therefore the most "different"

Adding adjacent roman numerals and allowing single and adjacent non-roman numerals to be minus signs, this string has the largest difference.

:lol:

If these are protein sequences that have been aligned and are portions of larger proteins, then the most highly conserved amino acid (and therefore the one I would most expect to be critical for the protein's function) is the V (valine) at the last position. Since sequence #3 has an S (serine) there instead, I would guess that #3 has a different function than the others and would in my eyes be most different.

If these are protein sequences that are not necessarily correctly aligned, I would say that #6 is the most unlike the others because it has no charged resides, is mostly non-polar except for a serine, and it's the only one that has a cysteine capable of disulfide bonding.

I noticed that there were no B, J, O, U, X, or Z in these sequences, going along with the theory of them being amino acids.

If these are protein sequences that have been aligned and are portions of larger proteins, then the most highly conserved amino acid (and therefore the one I would most expect to be critical for the protein's function) is the V (valine) at the last position. Since sequence #3 has an S (serine) there instead, I would guess that #3 has a different function than the others and would in my eyes be most different.

If these are protein sequences that are not necessarily correctly aligned, I would say that #6 is the most unlike the others because it has no charged resides, is mostly non-polar except for a serine, and it's the only one that has a cysteine capable of disulfide bonding.

I noticed that there were no B, J, O, U, X, or Z in these sequences, going along with the theory of them being amino acids.

My mind is exploding! :help:!

The spectrum of approaches here is a worthy display of the best efforts of our Denizens.

Truly impressive. Here's the telling clue: The OP referred to the choices as character strings.

See comments below.

#1 This is the only string that has a vowel in it.

Not the distinguishing characteristic I had in mind; it slipped in, due to lack of careful editing. :duh:

Honorable Mention, nonetheless.

Correct.

More simply]In the six strings there are five unique characters: C I K P Q.

Number 4 is the only string without an occurrence.

my GUESS is it is six...

Certainly the one that initially appears to be different.

This seems like the string that has the most similarities to all the other strings. The question asks for which is the most different.

If one string is extremal with respect to property X, it then differs from all the others in that regard. ;)

In this case, X has the value of "sameness."

Honorable Mention #2. Nice! B))

OMG.

Perhaps, but I'm not going to even try to verify that claim. :mad:

Never would doubt it.

plasmid, I continue to stand in awe ... :blink:

If the strings are read from top to bottom instead of left to right, the first column is most different. It's all numbers! =D

And if one is lying down while solving, the first column would then be the most different row.

<almost> Honorable Mention. :wacko:

My mind is exploding! :help:!

Mine, too.

Hope this was enjoyable ... good answers all.

Codons:

I = AUU; AUC, or AUA

L = UUA; UUG; CUU; CUC; CUA; CUG

M = AUG

Q = CAA CAG

R = CGU CGC CGA CGG AGA AGG

V = GUU GUC GUA GUG

P = CCU CCA CCC CCG

S = AGU AGC UCU UCC UCA UCG

K = AAA AAG

C = UGU UGC

We'll define the most different sequence using mutation distance. Assuming the most similar possible sequences, which one requires the largest number of single-base insertions, deletions, or substitutions to produce from any of the others? In addition, assume that the sequence is NOT PARTIAL; it cannot include an extra amino acid at the beginning or end.

1. ILMRV: Can be produced from 6 (CLMSV) using only 3 substitutions: C -> I (using UGU -> AUU, 2 mutations) and S -> R (AGU -> AGG, 1 mutation)

2. MPRSV: Can be produced from 5 (KLRSV) using only 2 substitutions: K -> M (AAG -> AUG) and L -> P (CUU -> CCU)

3. LMQRS: Can be produced from 4 (LMRSV) using 4 substitutions: R -> Q (CGA -> CAA), S-> R (AGU -> AGG), V -> S (GUU -> AGU, 2 mutations). Is there a better way?

4. LMRSV: Can be produced from 5, (KLRSV), using 3 substitutions: using K -> L (AAA -> CUA, 2 mutations), L-> M (UUG -> AUG).

5. Can be produced from 2 in 2 substitutions.

6. Can be produced from 1 using 3 substitutions.

So if we go by substitutions, 3 is the most different. But if the sequences are partial, it can be made with a 3-base insertion to 4...