BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Y-san's Last Dance

Yoruichi-san

Question

September 29, 2009

After graduating from Redrum University (with dishonors for having blown up the chemistry lab in her search for Enigmaticium...twice), Y-san turned her focus to taking down IETNAT, the illusive and dastardly covert criminal organization.

Working together with the ever vigilant Police Chief Leroy and her protegee and rival from Ecidius University, B-kun, the team had managed to collapse most of the infrastructure of the group, leaving the remaining fragments to scramble and hide to avoid capture by the respective authorities.

Now, Y-san was taking a well-deserved break at the gorgeous beach house on loan to her by B-kun's very wealthy parents. As she reclined in inexorably comfortable chair, sipping a chocolatini, appreciating the view out of the sunset from the entirely-made-out-of-glass side of the house that was suspended over the ocean, she heard a sound from her laptop alerting her that a new file had been added to her Dropbox.

It was a stepfile for the game Stepmania, and had been put into her "Creative" folder. It must be from B-kun, she thought. He was the only one with access to that folder that played the game. Curiosity and laziness waged a brief battle within her, but finally her inner cat won out and she reluctantly pulled herself out of the far too comfortable chair and started the game.

[steps]

After a verse, she frowned. The steps did not quite go with the music and didn't span the entire length of the song. More over, the steps were awkward, which was completely unlike the graceful and proud B-kun.

Seeing him online on gchat, she messaged him. "Hey, what's up with these steps?"

B: "Huh? What steps?"

Y: "The steps in the file you just put in my Dropbox."

B: "I haven't put any files in your Dropbox recently."

Y-san frowned. Then who could have put it there? Had someone hacked in? To put a stepfile in her box?

She went to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of diet green tea, which sat next to the catch of the day presented to her as a gift from a local fisherman whose fishing schedule she had helped to optimize and make 90% more efficient, then returned to her chair and studied the notes again, carefully, grabbing a pen and paper and scrawling some ideas, and finally, realization dawned on her. She leapt out of the chair this time and snatched up the keys to her car. She rushed to the door, swung it open, and...

"And where may you be going?" asked the man standing in the doorway. The man in the expensive-looking suit, with the expensive-looking watch, and an expensive looking haircut. The man holding the expensive-looking gun pointed at her.

Y-san shrugged. "I just realized the sea air doesn't quite agree with me, after all."

"Well, that's unfortunate, but don't worry, I'll see that you don't have to endure it too much longer." The man replied. "But for now, I'm afraid I have to ask you to step back inside." He gestured with the barrel.

"You're Harold Mortimer." It was a statement, not a question. "The kingpin of IENTNAT."

"I prefer 'CEO'. 'Kingpin' sounds so...criminal. Those as clever and audacious as us deserve to own the world , I only organize them to take it."

"Well, apparently not clever and audacious enough," Y-san couldn't resist quipping.

Mortimer conceded a nod, then waved the gun dismissively. "We'll rebuild. As long as key players of ours are still in the game, we can always win. And after you're gone, there will be no more distractions for my godson."

"Godson? You mean Trick?" Last she heard, Patrick "Trick" Moriarty had escaped from prison for the third time, after she had helped put him there for the third time.

Harold Mortimer nodded. "Yes, he's a very bright boy, so much potential, for his weakness is that he seems to have some inexplicable fondness for you."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, the sentiment is not reciprocated," Y-san muttered.

The kingpin smiled smugly. "I'll tell him you said that when I relay to him the news of your demise."

Y-san let out a resigned sigh. "Well, if I'm going to die, care to have one last drink with me?" She stepped towards the kitchen.

Mortimer shrugged. "Why not. But don't try any sneaky stuff."

A lopsided smile crossed Y-san's face. "Me, sneaky?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The police arrived on the scene forty minutes later. The neighbors had reported hearing a gunshot, followed by a loud CRASH, and had called 911. Police Chief Leroy had heard the report and shot to the scene faster than he would have thought his 2004 Toyota could have gone.

The door had been locked when he got there, and he had had to break it down to enter. The scene confirmed his worst fears. There was overturned furniture, broken glass from what looked to have been a tumbler or two, and a pool of glistening blood on the marble tile floor. There was a trail of blood splatter leading to the side of the house facing the ocean, and the glass had been shattered outward as if something...or someone...had gone through it.

Gulping his last bit of hope, Leroy stepped to the opening and looked down. Having somewhat of a case of vertigo, he immediately drew back after glancing the shear drop to the ocean below.

A bead of sweat trickled down his brow and he looked around for something to wipe it. On the marble kitchen counter, he saw a napkin, which he moved towards. As he neared, he saw there was something hastily scrawled there in a brown substance. It said:

Goodbye, my friends. It's been fun. Remember the Autumn of 267.

The Police Chief let out an immense sigh. She just had to be enigmatic, to her last breath, didn't she? His weary eyes gazed upon the final rays of the setting sun disappearing over the infinite ocean horizon. That woman.

Why did Y-san rush to leave?

What did her message mean?

...To be revealed when 1 and 2 are solved ;P

• Upvote 1

@potok

Hold is where you need to keep you foot on a pad for an extended length (see first arrow)

Jump is where you place two feet on pads at the same time (i.e up and left)

Tap is where one foot is placed on a pad (up , down, left or right on their own)

You can see the number of holds, jumps, and taps in the message at the side of the editor

There are 4 possible taps per line (up, down, left, right)

if you take two lines there is 4 in the first and 4 in the second (4 x 4 = 16)

There are 6 possible jumps

up and left

down and left

right and left

up and right

down and right

up and down

There appear to only be 4 holds (up down left and right)

16 + 6 + 4 = 26 characters that can be represented

try using http://www.blisstonia.com/software/WebDecrypto/ to automatically solve (I found I had to do some minor edits afterwards)

• Upvote 1

Well your solution is correct, i'm pretty sure. Still having probs decoding your decode :D So you take 2 lines for 1 letter ? Unless its a jump or hold ? And how do you enter the arrows into the web form ? Would love to see it work. And great job!

Edited by Potok

You've got it but need to transform the sets of arrows into letters

left down up right

left	a	  e	 i	m	  

down   b	  f	 j	 n

up	 c	  g	k	o

right  d	  h	l	 p

not to sure how the other one goes as I assigned each pair to a random letter and only figured out the order in retrospect

Edited by phaze

I'm guessing B-Kuns beach house is not in Samoa (not now at least). Or was the date of the events just a clue that there was something odd about the message ? (there is no way Y-San could expect anyone to have recalled Autumn 267, let alone herself)

* begins looking for out-of-the-box in mainland china *

The date is not relevant (other than a reference to the time of these events) to this puzzle, although it might come into play in later puzzles in this series, whose mantle will be taken on by B-kun in the late Y-san's place....

...the spoiler ;P.

YOU ARE IN DANGER

GODFATHER COMING TO KILL YOU

GET OUT NOW

PS HE IS DEATHLY ALLERGIC FISH

Excellent work! Good job to everyone who discussed and contributed :).

Numbering the arrows from left to right 1-4 (which, coincidentally and conveniently is how the editing program does it), I went with ordered pairs, starting with (1,1), (1,2)....(4,3), (4,4), then a similar order with the simultaneous arrows, then just the number order with the holds.

Now just finish up with 2 while I go finish the writing for 3 ;).

Would just like to note that Y-San is from Redrum University, which is "Murder" backwards...

B-Kun is from Ecidius University, which I think is misspelled and was supposed to be Edicius as in - "Suicide" backwards. I dunno if this has to do with anything, though.

I'd also like to note, that the door was locked when the cops came, which is a bit weird, cuz it made me think she had escaped.

Richenbach

Now you're just guessing :P. I know b/c that word is enigmatically unfeasible, and definitely not = 267.

Would just like to note that Y-San is from Redrum University, which is "Murder" backwards...

B-Kun is from Ecidius University, which I think is misspelled and was supposed to be Edicius as in - "Suicide" backwards. I dunno if this has to do with anything, though.

I'd also like to note, that the door was locked when the cops came, which is a bit weird, cuz it made me think she had escaped.

Yes, sorry it was Edicius, and no, that has nothing to do with the current puzzle...it was introduced in previous installments of the series involving a prank war b/w universities...

And sorry again, in my excitement for the scene I forgot to write in the part where the Godfather locks the door behind him when he steps in...to make sure no one disturbs him on his errand...but the locked door is part of the third question...we'll get to that once the enigma is solved ;P.

Now you're just guessing :P. I know b/c that word is enigmatically unfeasible, and definitely not = 267.

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes have 279 pp according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Memoirs_of_Sherlock_Holmes the final story being the "the final problem" where Arthur Conan Doyle kill off his main charater so he can focus on his other works. The name of the place of Sherlocks demise is falls of Reichenbach

I take it is not correct, but it is not entirely a guess

"and there, deep down in that dreadful caldron of swirling water and seething foam, will lie for all time the most dangerous criminal and the foremost champion of the law of their generation." also sounded like it may apply to your situation

unfortunately the copy of the Memoirs I was reading only went to page 259 (the remaining pages being the introduction and the advertisements at the end)

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Memoirs_of_Sherlock_Holmes_1894_Burt.djvu/277

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes have 279 pp according to http://en.wikipedia....Sherlock_Holmes the final story being the "the final problem" where Arthur Conan Doyle kill off his main charater so he can focus on his other works. The name of the place of Sherlocks demise is falls of Reichenbach

I take it is not correct, but it is not entirely a guess

"and there, deep down in that dreadful caldron of swirling water and seething foam, will lie for all time the most dangerous criminal and the foremost champion of the law of their generation." also sounded like it may apply to your situation

unfortunately the copy of the Memoirs I was reading only went to page 259 (the remaining pages being the introduction and the advertisements at the end)

http://en.wikisource...4_Burt.djvu/277

Wow, very nice...you really have been doing your homework...props :).

b/c of the spelling. The right spelling may just yield the right results...;P I know I've been gone for some time...but really, no one remembers my special enigmaticness? I even opened my return with it...(the other link in my sig)...

And sorry if I came off as curt earlier...I've been somewhat busy and stressed lately...I really do appreciate when observant people take note of the little 'easter eggs' I throw in...some of them come into play in later storylines ;).

Edited by Yoruichi-san

The date is not relevant (other than a reference to the time of these events) to this puzzle, although it might come into play in later puzzles in this series, whose mantle will be taken on by B-kun in the late Y-san's place....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Samoa_earthquake means it is unlikely that you were in a beach house even as far away as Hawaii

http://en.wikipedia....amoa_earthquake means it is unlikely that you were in a beach house even as far away as Hawaii

(

Wow...I never actually pay attention to current events @_@...but no, this was like, Cali...not far away (like within a few hours drive) from her usual haunt, Redrum University...as Police Chief Leroy wouldn't be there otherwise.

Edited by Yoruichi-san

I feel bad jumping in here when phaze did all the work...

ReICHeNbAcH looks like 267 to me.

Yes, props to phaze for doing the work...but it is those who do the math that get to Y-san's final solution ;P. Well done!

. . . :duh:

Were you a chem major or do you just really like chemistry?

Chemical engineer actually...which is most definitely not the same thing. I call her (the ChE inside me) a dragon, b/c she was forged in the fires of hell...(over 60% of my starting ChE class either dropped out or switched majors...ah, fun times...who doesn't love quantum statistical thermodynamics? @_@)...

Edit: @Y-San How many times have you really blown up a chemistry lab?

Oh, not that many...just one or two...or twenty-seven...*whistling*

Good work everyone, part 3 will be up later this afternoon/evening...in the meantime, as a bonus, if any Holmes fans care to expound on the implications of the message, be my guest. :)

Chemical engineer actually...which is most definitely not the same thing. I call her (the ChE inside me) a dragon, b/c she was forged in the fires of hell...(over 60% of my starting ChE class either dropped out or switched majors...ah, fun times...who doesn't love quantum statistical thermodynamics? @_@)...

:lol: Sounds like my chem class. 75% drop out rate by the final. I'm sure it's not like chem engineering but that's still a bit scary. :o

A heavy burden weighing down his heart, Police Chief Leroy trudged towards his police car, not relishing the call he now had to make. As he approached, he noticed a particularly corpulent seagull perched upon the hood, greedily eyeing the half-eaten bear claw lying in the passenger side seat. The Police Chief waved his arms at the bird, hoping to scare it into flight, but the creature only sat there stubbornly, glaring at him. Reminds me of someone...

He let out a deep sigh and capitulated. He had lost his appetite anyways, so he snatched up the pastry and tossed it at the seagull, who flew to meet it with surprising agility. Briefly, Police Chief Leroy wondered if birds could get diabetes, and felt a pang of guilt, but he shrugged it off. He had more pressing matters to attend to.

When B-kun picked up, he went straight into the explanation, as the stoic young man had never been one for small talk. The Police Chief paused at points, giving him a chance to react, but there was only silence from the other end of the line....until he arrived at the note.

“The autumn of 267? That’s what it said?” There was a short pause and then...laughter broke out from the other end of the line.

The Police Chief frowned. Had the shock driven the poor boy mad? “Are you alright, B-kun?”

“Yes, yes,” he answered, between peels. A pause to take a deep breath, and then a barely audible mutter: “I knew it would take more than that to be rid of that woman.”

“Are you saying she escaped somehow? But how? The door was locked when we arrived. According to the landlord your parents hired, the door could be locked from the inside with the latch, but only from the outside with the key, and there was only one key, which was found inside the house. There is no way anyone could have scaled that cliff. Everything suggests that she hadn’t known about the attack beforehand, so she couldn’t have had the precognition to pack a hang glider or anything like that. And if she had done something flashy like that, the neighbors who reported the gunshot would have noticed. They are an observant bunch. They were insistent that she never left the area after arriving here a few days ago, and besides the local market, there are no shops nearby, so she couldn’t have made a new key or anything....”

A part of him wanted so badly to hold onto hope, but the police officer inside him warned him not to. On B-kun’s instruction, he reluctantly re-entered the house and took a second look around, describing the scene over the phone, the overturned furniture, the broken glass, the blood. The key to the house was lying inside a heavy-bottomed glass jar, about 6 inches high with a 4 inch diameter opening. Also in the jar were some small particles that the Police Chief hadn’t taken the time to identify yet. A beach towel and a half-packed suitcase of clothes lay upon the sofa-bed (with the other half strewn randomly around...guess she had still been somewhat in ‘college’ mode), a half-drunken cocktail rested next to the computer monitor, which was fortunately on the other side of the room from the mayhem.

“Yes...” B-kun murmured at the mention of the computer. “She said something about a file...” There were sounds of clicking and tapping and an interval of pensive silence. “Go look in the refrigerator.”

Perplexed, but believing in B-kun’s insight, Police Chief Leroy obliged. There was a bowl of mangoes, ghiradelli chocolate syrup, a half of a loaf of brioche, some eggs, some butcher paper that seemed to have contained meat or seafood of some sort at some point, a container of ginormous meatballs, a jar of red sauce (Y-san’s special homemade, no doubt), a container of spaghetti, and a bottle of grey goose in the freezer.

More pensive silence, and finally...”If I remember correctly, around the house there was always some...yes, I see...yes, it’s possible...” There was another laugh from the usually meticulously composed young man. “Only that woman would think of something like that...”

“WHAT?!!” the war inside of Police Chief Leroy finally exploded. After B-kun explained, he shook his head. “I can’t believe that would actually work...”

But he sure hoped that it had.

What's B-kun's theory?

Good work everyone, part 3 will be up later this afternoon/evening...in the meantime, as a bonus, if any Holmes fans care to expound on the implications of the message, be my guest. :)

The message Y-San left was an indication that although she appeared to die she survived.

Due to public outcry Arthur Conan Doyle had to resurrect Sherlock soon after the "Final Problem". First as a prequel "The Hound of the Baskervilles" but later had to explain how Holmes survived. As the apparent death in the "Final Problem" was only infered by Watson this was easier than it sounds.

Also "that woman" is a reference to Irene Adler, one of Moriartys minions and the closest thing Sherlock ever has to a relationship.

I think the mentioning of vertigo is also a reference to "The Final Problem"

The message Y-San left was an indication that although she appeared to die she survived.

Due to public outcry Arthur Conan Doyle had to resurrect Sherlock soon after the "Final Problem". First as a prequel "The Hound of the Baskervilles" but later had to explain how Holmes survived. As the apparent death in the "Final Problem" was only infered by Watson this was easier than it sounds.

Also "that woman" is a reference to Irene Adler, one of Moriartys minions and the closest thing Sherlock ever has to a relationship.

I think the mentioning of vertigo is also a reference to "The Final Problem"

Well explained! Except "that woman" is not a reference to Irene Adler...she was "the woman". Small difference, I know, but..."that woman" is a reference to the anime/manga both B-kun and Y-san's appearance and personality ascribe from, which is an accurate description of the relationship b/w them. May go dig up the link to the manga page later...