BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

cryptographer 1-6

cray

Hey. I need some help to solve some tasks. and there are some out there who think this task sis fun. and can help me with these.

hope for an answer;)

Here are the tasks

cryptographer 1

After reading ”The Code Book” by Simon Singh, I was inspired to create a cache based on one of the simpler forms of cryptography. The code on which this cache is based is not very sophisticated, but I have taken steps to make at little more robust to decryption. This is why the difficulty rating is high.

Monoalphabetic ciphers are usually based on a key word known to the receiver of the message. For now I will just reveal the cipher and the key word and see if anyone is able to read the coded message based on this information alone. Reading Singh’s book is recommended – not least for its entertainment value, but it can also be helpful in the process of solving the puzzle. The key word is in Norwegian, but this is irrelevant in the process of deciphering the code. It translates to something like “central and hidden”, but you should not put much emphasis on this.

Key word: "Sentralt og bortgjemt"

NPUAY KQKAI NQNBA YUBBX PMMCB QVYAY ENDUB DCNDA YQUAI BQVYA BCZAA BNJBU PAGPX PMMCN QNBZB FBNZQ H

cryptographer 2

Here follows another code cache from me. The first one, based on monoalphabetic substitution, was found after just 11 hours, so I figured I would have to crank it up a notch. The problem with ciphers today, is that the Internet is filled with applications and sites that crack codes easily and within seconds. This means that I have to use newer and more complex ciphers to avoid such simple solutions as much as possible. The purpose of these caches is not to make you crack the codes, but rather to provide you with enough information to read them as if you were the intended recipients of the message.

This cache is based on the German ADFGVX-cipher, which was used during World War 1. It was considered unbreakable by the Germans (all ciphers are typically considered unbreakable - until they are broken!), but it was nonetheless cryptanalysed by the French lieutenant Georges Painvin in June 1918. The work was exceptionally difficult by the standards of classical cryptography, and Painvin became physically ill during it.

The cipher is based on the receiver knowing a secret cipher alphabet and a key word. You will be given both - that's just how nice a guy I am! I have, however, replaced the original letters with BCHLTZ. This will not influence deciphering the code in the ordinary way, but it will render all the smart and quick Internet solutions useless ;-) You will hopefully have to work this one out manually.

cryptographer 3

The third code cache in Larvik! I recommend that all three caches are logged on the same trip, as they are located geographically close to each other.

This cache is based on an old polyalphabetic cipher. To make it more difficult I will not tell which cipher is used, but it is one of the most famous of the kind. It was introduced in the 16th century, and remained unbroken for more than 300 years. Polyalphabetic ciphers differ from monoalphabetic ones in that one letter can be coded as many different letters in the cryptated text. This makes the cipher less vulnerable to frequency analysis, which in most cases easily will bring down a monoalphabetic cipher. I will provide you with the key word so you will not have to break the code yourselves. Some creative use of Google should help you along.

As usual, all logs revealing the whereabouts of the cache will be deleted without further notice.

Key word: LARVIK

Message 1:

YOIYK SYQLV VDPNV PNAFA KMMFT RXPTO SUZOK OYTJN WSIAE OMNPUO

Message 2:

PSKYQ HFNMD ZQFLV IMEQC VIBCB UROZO GIEBB RFIK

cryptographer 4

This cache is based on a combination of the ciphers used in the first three caches of the series.

It will probably be a bit harder to work this one out, as the cryptated messages will look like complete nonsense right until they are deciphered for the third time. A lot of incomprehensible text strings will have to be handled before the coordinates reveal themselves. I strongly advise you to work out the other three caches of the series before encountering this one, just to get into the line of thinking.

You will be provided with both key word and other essential information - not least in which order I used the different ciphers.

Step 1: I started with the same monoalphabetic cipher as was used in "Kodeknekk #1". I also rotated this one a little.

Step 2: Here I used the same polyalphabetic cipher as in "Kodeknekk #3". Read the cache description for more hints on which one. Those of you who have already found that one will obviously have a big advantage ;-)

Step 3: Finally I used the ADFGVX-cipher to end up with the final cipher text. This is the cipher I also used in "Kodeknekk #2"

Key word for all three steps is KODER (Norwegian for "Codes")

For the ADFGVX part I used the following cipher alphabet (note that I have changed the original letters and just use the vowels. This does not in any way affect the method of deciphering).

A E I O U Y

A U Q 3 G 6 H

E W L E X S T

I D 4 A 1 Z 9

O 0 8 R P Y M

U O 2 I K 7 F

Y V J C B 5 N

cryptographer 5

After a long and hard winter it is finally caching season once again!

This is another "codebreaker"-cache, like the ones I published during the last fall, but this one is a little different. It is nonetheless based on a well known type of cipher. I will not give many hints this time, but in order to find the coordinates, it is necessary to know that the code is connected to a certain pupil of wizardry...

COORDINATES:

North:

7-4 5-9 18-3 24-15 19-59 6-26 9-22 8-4 29-34 21-4 16-7 15-7 25-1 26-1 37-23 6-29 30-6 22-11 1-7 13-2 4-5 11-4 14-19 8-34 32-12 17-37 26-7 24-5 15-33 13-26 31-18

East:

35-24 2-11 12-19 20-1 36-4 3-45 27-31 33-13 11-3 28-3 10-6 23-4 21-5 27-7 37-11 9-5 14-9 18-6 2-9 34-2 7-21 34-47 30-9 16-12 4-8 25-20 32-19 12-3 20-60 31-2 5-10

cryptographer 6

After reading ”The Code Book” by Simon Singh, I was inspired to create some caches based on different forms of cryptography.

This is the sixth cache of the series. As always, I have used a well-known cipher, but which one? Some helpful information can be obtained by reading the descriptions of a couple of the earlier caches of the series.

OP IP JG LI KT LT MI CI PN PC CZ ML ID PO MZ AW PT ZM LT TO LK KU LK VK IC EM LT TO KZ OT KD JP

• 3 years later...