Johnny Dangerously's pet store

Question

Posted · Report post

Johnny Dangerously spotted a sale on small pets for his store that he couldn't resist. Giddy with visions of profit, he bought a certain number of hamsters and half that many pairs of parakeets. He paid $2 each for the hamsters and $1 for each parakeet. On every pet he [carefully] stuck a retail price that was a 10 per cent mark-up over what he paid for it.

After all but seven of the creatures had been sold, Johnny found that he had taken in for them an amount of money exactly equal to what he had originally paid for all of them. Wow. How cool was that. His potential profit was represented by the combined retail value of the seven remaining animals. What was this value?

4 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

$9.90

Posted · Report post

I got a different answer. But just to be sure about one important point

Is it possible to buy half of a pair of parakeets, or would the pet salesperson have given Johnny the stinkeye for making such a request?

Posted · Report post

I think 13.20 is correct. This corresponds to buying 44 of each animal and selling 42 parakeets and 39 hamsters.

Posted · Report post

$9.90

Nope, sorry.

I got a different answer. But just to be sure about one important point

Is it possible to buy half of a pair of parakeets, or would the pet salesperson have given Johnny the stinkeye for making such a request?

You noted a necessary part of the puzzle. Did you get SP?'s answer below?

I think 13.20 is correct. This corresponds to buying 44 of each animal and selling 42 parakeets and 39 hamsters.

Bingo. post-1048-017111300 1296759005.gif