BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Lord of Combat

Molly Mae

I'm trying to do a little more narration. Health following statements indicates the defenders HP after that statement. I included it every time someone lost life and sometimes when they didn't.

Aaryan vs Panther

Aaryan lunges early and does 1 damage to Panther (7/25), but his swift follow-up misses Panther. Bringing his weapon back around, he lashes a leg, doing 1 damage to Panther(6/25). Panther holds his ground and counterattacks, bashing at Aaryan and doing 1 damage (24/25). Shaky, Aaryan's counter attack misses Panther, but is followed up by a quick blow doing 1 damage to Panther(5/25). Aaryan's last attempt narrowly misses Panther's face, allowing Panther to step in close and strike, doing 1 damage to Aaryan(23/25)

Flamebirde vs Hirkala

After bowing to each other, the warriors raise their weapons and charge. Flamebirde lands his first blow, doing 1 damage to Hirk (14/15). Dazed from being struck, Hirk narrowly misses Flamebirde (14/20), who also narrowly misses Hirkala. Sure to do at least something this round, Hirk musters all of his energy into one wild swing--but what he has in rage he lacks in accuracy, for his swing is wide and Flamebirde doesn't even need to dodge.

Hirkala vs Aaryan

Ready for anything, Aaryan begins with a wild show that Hirk shrugs off (14/15). Upset from his last big miss, Hirkala charges at Aaryan, but fails to land any blow (23/25). While Hirk is busy burning up energy, Aaryan musters one quick jab, doing 2 damage to Hirk (12/14). Aaryan sees an opportunity to continue his assault, but his next attack is quickly deflected. Hirk's counterattack looks promising, but Aaryan absorbs the blow through pure ninja skills and doesn't take damage.

Panther vs Hirkala

Hirk, now being in his third fight today, is certain he'll do some serious harm, but again swings wide when Panther came at him (5/25). Hirk deflects Panther's first the blow! Hirk slices at Panther and does 1 damage! (4/25), Hirk misses Panther, Hirk slaps at Panther who narrowly guards against the attack; Panther swings round after the guard and Hirk blocks the blow.

1. Flamebirde (19/20)

2. Panther (10/25)

3. Aaryan (25/25)

4. Hirkala (15/15)

You know the drill. Send me your stat choice and who you're attacking.

If anyone wants to replace Flamebirde, let me know.

I'll also be sending each of you a PM with your current status.

Sorry that took longer than it should have. Yesterday afternoon was kinda busy. Plus it was game night (but I kind of want to host this off forum).

Aaryan vs Hirkala

Aaryan steps up and slashes at Hirk, scoring a hit right across his chest that does 2 damage (13/15). Hirk swings in a counter attack and hits Aaryan for 2 damage (23/25). Aaryan's counter to the counter strike's Hirk in the face, doing 2 more damage (11/15). Aaryan follows it up with another attack that Hirk casually deflects wide. Hirk takes this last opportunity to lunge at Aaryan, but misses by several dice (er...inches).

MikeD vs Hirkala

MikeD darts in for a quick power hit on Hirk, but Hirk dodges to the side and only takes 2 points of damage (9/15). Hirk strikes from the side as he is hit and lands a blow on MikeD for 4 damage (15/20). Angry, MikeD swings again, striking Hirk's chest for 1 point of damage (8/15) and following it up with a second blow to the face for 1 point of damage (7/15). Hirk's final counter is brushed aside, the fight finally ending.

Panther vs Aaryan

Aaryan's quick reflexes put Panther on the defensive after several quick jabs--the first being blocked (10/25), the second striking for a point of damage (9/25), and the third missing wildly. Panther replies with a quick jab that Aaryan deflects. Aaryan again moves to the offensive, the first strike being blocked, the second being blocked, but the third and most powerful blow landing right on his shoulder, doing 3 damage (6/25). The pain of the blow is enough to make Panther swing blindly, missing Aaryan.

Hirkala vs Aaryan

Aaryan again steps in and strikes immediately, his blow deflected by Hirkala (7/15). Hirk counters with an unexpected strike to the leg, doing 2 points of damage (21/25). Aaryan's next attack looks solid, but Hirk manages to absorb the entire blow with his armour. Angry, he swings again, this time scoring a hit on Hirk's cheek for 1 point of damage (6/15). Hirk's final attack comes down hard, striking the earth for a lot of damage, but missing Aaryan by a sizable margin.

1. MikeD (20/20)

2. Panther (13/25)

3. Aaryan (25/25)

4. Hirkala (13/15)

Day 5 is beginning now. Send me your stat and who you're attacking.

If there is little or no progress by the end of Day 6, the following changes will be imposed:

1. A static regeneration of 5 points per day

2. Coins earned per day increases to 5

3. Two stat points earned per day.

If there is no progress after that, after Day 8, the minimum number of attacks increases to three for attacker and two for defender.

I try to do these quickly in my spare time, so if you happen to see any simple addition or subtraction mistakes (or damage I didn't count), let me know.

Aaryan vs MikeD

Aaryan and MikeD square off. MikeD makes the first swing--a powerful blow that knocks Aaryan down and does 7 damage (18/25). Aaryan rolls as he hits the ground and moves right into a counter attack that MikeD parries (20/20). MikeD swings again, landing a blow that does 3 damage (15/25). Aaryan turns with the blow and attacks with one of his own, striking MikeD for 5 damage (15/20).

MikeD vs Aaryan

In a reconstruction of the previous battle, Aaryan swings first landing a powerful blow to MikeD's torso, doing 5 damage (10/20). MikeD counters, but not at full balance--he strikes Aaryan's leg for 3 damage (12/25). Aaryan's counter strikes MikeD's arm for 3 damage (7/20). MikeD takes his final opportunity to swing and strikes Aaryan for 3 points of damage (9/25).

Hirkala vs Aaryan

Aaryan strikes early, barely hitting Hirk who tried to block--Hirk takes a point of damage (12/15). Hirk's counter looks solid and lands right on top of Aaryan, who catches it with his hand and pushes Hirk's attack sideways (9/25). Aaryan takes the opportunity to attack Hirk's open chest, but Hirk lets his armour absorb the impact (12/15). Aaryan attacks again, but this time Hirk's overconfidence gets him slashed for 3 damage (9/15). Hirk's final attack isn't even really an attack, since it misses absolutely everything.

Panther vs Aaryan

Aaryan strikes early in a quick one, two, three--the first only evokes laughter from Panther (13/25). The second actually lands a blow, doing a point of damage (12/25). The last comes down harder, doing 2 points of damage (10/25). Panther strikes back, doing 1 point of damage (8/25). Again Aaryan lines up for his signature one-two-three. The first again evokes laughter, the second hits the ground near Panther's right foot, the last has no chance of ever harming Panther.

1. MikeD (20/20)

2. Panther (17/25)

3. Aaryan (16/25)

4. Hirkala (15/15)

Today, you regenerated 7 points of damage. Tomorrow and all subsequent days, you will regenerate 5 points of damage.

Depending on how Day 6 goes, I might add the changes from the previous post (2 stat points and 5 coins per day).

Edited by Molly Mae

Hey, folks. I'm popping in for a mid-day "What's up" to ask some opinions.

I've already drafted some new rules for round two, which I will be hosting (unless someone seriously wants to host, in which case I can publish the rules).

What I'm looking for are new items to add, maybe some special abilities to choose from, any general suggestions.

The official "Other Rules" section for round two is posted in the spoiler below.

You begin with 5 coins and gain 4 coins per day. If you eliminate a player, you loot their coins+items.

Feel free to openly strategise. Feel free to silently strategise.

The last player standing wins and is the Lord of Combat. There are no ties.

At the end of the day, each living player regenerates 1/5 of their Max HP.

You can only wear 1 weapon, 1 armour, 1 shield, 1 pair of boots, 1 pair of gloves, 1 amulet, and 1 ring.

You can carry as many items as you want.

You can only perform each phase once per day and must do them in the order listed above.

If a player cannot attack because the opposition is dead, they only get 2 coins at the end of the day

All players begin the game with 5 points to distribute.

Each day thereafter, all players get two points to distribute.

Items can be sold back to the shop for 1/2 their purchase price

There will exist a series of secret trophies that can be earned.

Also, I'm going to be trying this game out live tonight without a host. Would anyone be opposed to knowing how STR, DEF, and SPD work? I don't actually think that there's any reason to keep it a secret.

Edited by Molly Mae

Some questions :)

1. Why the 'only 2 coins if oppositions is dead' rule?

2. Would the trophies do anything or would they simply be collectibles?

3. Some abilities would be kinda cool. Maybe a choice, or a random ability is given to each player at the start?

Gimme some time and I'm sure I can come up with some new items if you want :D

Also, it would be nice if the games could last a fair amount of time (I don't know how long this round will last yet obv) so as to give lots of time to strategise and gain enough money to buy high end gear in the shop. Stuff like the ring that halves shop prices is good because it introduces a bit of thought into the purchases, i.e 'Do I buy this awesome sword??' 'Or do I save a little more money and buy the cost-cutting ring??'

Edit - What do you mean by live?

Edited by Panther

1. Why the 'only 2 coins if oppositions is dead' rule?

2. Would the trophies do anything or would they simply be collectibles?

3. Some abilities would be kinda cool. Maybe a choice, or a random ability is given to each player at the start?

Gimme some time and I'm sure I can come up with some new items if you want :D

Also, it would be nice if the games could last a fair amount of time (I don't know how long this round will last yet obv) so as to give lots of time to strategise and gain enough money to buy high end gear in the shop. Stuff like the ring that halves shop prices is good because it introduces a bit of thought into the purchases, i.e 'Do I buy this awesome sword??' 'Or do I save a little more money and buy the cost-cutting ring??'

Edit - What do you mean by live?

Still waiting on one more person's choices, but here's some answers to your above questions:

1. The 2 coins is to prevent having an advantage from a low SPD by not having to fight someone who just died.

2. I have actually decided to incorporate special abilities into trophies--if you get a trophy, you get a special ability. You can choose to use any one special ability per day. More on those later.

3. I guess I kinda covered this in number 2. Abilities will be assigned to trophies based on the awesomeness of the ability compared to the difficulty in obtaining the trophy. Once a trophy has been earned by a player, it becomes public knowledge that a trophy was won. I don't know if I'll announce who won the trophy or how.

Live means at a real table. I printed out some slips of paper (apparently I'm not permitted to attach .xlsx). Stats aren't necessarily public, but purchases are. You can determine anyone's STR or DEF based on dice rolls, so the method for determining hits and damage must be made public (initiative, too). It actually went really well--we played about 5 games, tested some of the mechanics more in-depth, and determined certain flaws and things we don't like.

The next game might see changes to the way SPD is used for determining the number of times you attack.

Stat points will likely be the same (start with 3, get 1 per day). The few times we played with 5+2 went way too quick (and I actually eliminated 3 people in 2 days).

After this game, though, I will publish the way the different stats are used.

Day 6:

Hirkala vs Aaryan

Hirkala takes the first swing and strikes Aaryan, doing 5 damage (16/30). Aaryan counters with a blow that Hirk deflects (15/15). Hirk strikes again, but misses Aaryan. Aaryan's counter hits Hirk for 2 points of damage (13/15).

Aaryan vs Panther

Aaryan strikes thrice, miss, deflection, hit! Panther takes 1 point of damage (16/25). Panther 's counter attack misses (16/30).

MikeD vs Aaryan

MikeD swings early and connects hard, doing 10 points of damage (6/30). Aaryan's counter is quickly blocked (20/20). MikeD swings a second time, but fails to connect. Aaryan counters again and lands a blow that does 3 damage (17/20).

Panther vs Aaryan

Panther squares off against Aaryan--but Aaryan attacks first, second, third! His first blow lands low, doing 1 point of damage (15/25). His second blow hits Panther in the chest, doing 1 point of damage (14/25). The third blow strikes high and does 1 point of damage (13/25). Panther's counter misses (6/30). Aaryan lines up for the one-two-three, but Panther sees it coming and defends all three. Panther's last counter misses completely.

Day 6 has ended!

Please send me your stat choices and who you'll be attacking. I'll update our PM threads in a moment.

Aaryan vs Hirkala

Aaryan swings and strikes Hirkala, doing 2 points of damage (13/15). Hirkala counters with a swift blow to the head, doing 10 damage (6/30). Aaryan attacks again, doing 4 damage (9/15).

MikeD vs Aaryan

MikeD takes his turn and strikes out at Aaryan, hoping to end the common enemy--he swings and strikes for 5 damage (1/30). Aaryan, like the Empire, strikes back, but MikeD comfortably defends the blow (20/20). MikeD strikes again, ending Aaryan with a crushing 10 points of damage. Aaryan is dead.

Hirk vs Aaryan

Hirk cannot attack Aaryan's ghost!

Panther vs Aaryan

Panther cannot attack Aaryan's ghost!

1. MikeD (20/20)

2. Panther (23/25)

3. Hirkala (14/15)

Day 8 begins now.

Day 8:

MikeD vs Hirk

MikeD swings and strikes Hirk, dealing 5 points of damage (9/15). Hirk retaliates and misses (25/25). MikeD's second attack is low, but Hirk defends it gracefully.

Hirk vs MikeD

MikeD attacks first again, and swings a powerful blow that's absorbed by Hirk's armour (9/15). Hirk's counter lands hard, doing 6 points of damage (19/25). MikeD's second strike brutally destroys Hirk for 10 damage. Hirk has died...

Panther vs MikeD

MikeD swings 5 times! Blocked, blocked! 1 damage! 1 damage! A strong last blow delivers 4 damage! (22/30). Panther's attack misses. MikeD's next five attacks: Blocked! Missed! Blocked! Blocked! Blocked! Panther's second attack misses.

1. MikeD (24/25)

2. Panther (27/30)

EDIT: Updating incorrect Max HPs.

Send me your stuff.

Edited by Molly Mae