BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Simple geometry problem

bonanova

Question

Welcome back, Denizens.

Sharpen your pencils and brush up on your sines and cosines.

Here's a simple geometry / trig puzzle to start the new BD site off.

1. Draw two circles with radii R > r that are centered on the positive x-axis and tangent at the origin.
  2. Draw an isosceles triangle, in the upper half-plane, whose base is the portion of the x-axis between the circles -- that is, outside the smaller circle and inside the larger circle -- and whose apex touches the larger circle.
  3. Draw a third circle, also in the upper half-plane, that does not intersect any of the three existing shapes but is tangent to all of them.

post-1048-0-13598700-1337889318_thumb.gi

For the third circle, determine

1. Its radius ro
  2. The x-coordinate of its center

Have fun!

7 answers to this question

Not at all. I agree that's how it looks, but that was chance at work.

I intended for r to be any value between 0 and R.

It might be interesting to get a solution first with r=R/2 and then generalize.

Or even simpler, the extreme cases of r equalling 0 or R.

Welcome back, Denizens.

Sharpen your pencils and brush up on your sines and cosines.

Here's a simple geometry / trig puzzle to start the new BD site off.

1. Draw two circles with radii R > r that are centered on the positive x-axis and tangent at the origin.
  2. Draw an isosceles triangle, in the upper half-plane, whose base is the portion of the x-axis between the circles -- that is, outside the smaller circle and inside the larger circle -- and whose apex touches the larger circle.
  3. Draw a third circle, also in the upper half-plane, that does not intersect any of the three existing shapes but is tangent to all of them.

For the third circle, determine

1. Its radius ro
  2. The x-coordinate of its center

Have fun!

This is a well constructed (and well phrased) problem. Thanks bonanova for sharing. It's great to have Brainden back.

post-51942-0-13907900-1336436248_thumb.p

Nicely done ... and the interesting property of the third circle is that it's in all cases centered above the left end of the triangle's base. I was looking around for a geometrical proof of that property.

The geometrical proof for the property you mentioned can be derived from two equations for a circle and one equation for the shortest distance to a line. The solution for x0 can be simplified to the quadratic equation in post #4. I suppose it is relatively straightforward to plug x0 = 2r into that quadratic equation and show that 2r is always a solution.

So, do I get the coveted bonanova gold star? :)