Posted (edited) · Report post

what shape is the rainbow?

post-1684-1206222149_thumbjpg

really?

check this out

Edited by smile4me

3 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Hmmmm...a rainbow with no color?! Some gay jokes are coming to mind, but I don't discriminate :) Let's see - like the St. Louis Arch, it almost resembles a caternary object. I don't know, I just think I sound smart when I say "caternary." Neat video, though, and I like adding random comments, so why not to something that doesn't have a comment yet? :)

Posted · Report post

I think an ARC shape!

Posted · Report post

I think an ARC shape!
Nope. A circle.

All Rainbows are this shape, most are cut off by the horizon. The only reason that one in the video was seen complete was that the observer was at a sufficient hight above the groud (or any other obstacle) to see the whole thing.

The colours seen are a matter of light refraction, so where exactlythey are seen is determined not by a set point in space - That is a "Rainbow" is not at all like a solid set in place object - But by the point at which the light hits an observers eye, at just the "right" angle for them to see the colours. So the 'position' of the rainbow is a combination of the area where light is refracted by water droplets and the position of the observer. As a result two observers side by side will see two slightly different rainbows in two slightly different locations :D