BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Going Postal

plainglazed

Question

The annual debt of the United States Postal Service is projected to be $18 billion by the year 2015. To help stem this ever growing deficit, the USPS would like to increase the price it charges for a first class mailed letter from forty two to sixty three cents. A 50% increase amounting to all of $.21 to have a letter hand delivered, door to door, anywhere in the U.S. is terribly unpopular with the general public. Perhaps equally rational to these objections is the Post Office's most recent proposal to make the increase more acceptable. The concept is to charge a random amount in increments of whole cents between $.01 - $1.26 (inclusive). To save on printing costs it is expected that only five denominations of stamps would be offered and a maximum of five stamps per letter would be allowed. Can you suggest the five stamp amounts?

18 answers to this question

yes indeed, superprismatic. when i first composed this puzzle, did not know that it had been thoroughly investigated. and often with the same postage stamp theme. from what i can tell, a universal solution yet evades number theorists. dont have any programming skills to speak of myself so was limited to a spreadsheet. the highest i got was 115.