BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Snooker Loopy

Question

Player A and player B are playing a frame of snooker against each other, following proper snooker rules which are observed by the officiating referee.

Aggregate score is the points scored by player A added to the points scored by player B.

At the end of the frame of snooker what is the lowest possible aggregate score for the whole frame?

I want the answer and the reasoning behind it (no matter how unlikely it sounds, it is possible) :thumbsup:

20 answers to this question

42 is the correct answer, however, i know its not possible but what if player A mirraculously pots 15 reds in one shot and the cue ball also goes in therefor commiting a foul the ref should then give player A no points and player B 4 points. Player B then goes on to pot all remaining colours as the reds cannot be returned to the table after a foul, scores 27 giving a total aggregate score of 31!

i know this is practically impossible, but the question states 'no matter how unlikely it sounds'.

lower than 31!

so, if player B misses the pink giving him a total of 18, foul=4,yellow, green, brown and blue=18 there will only be 13 left on the table for player A to get, he is unable to get a snooker because the ball positions dont allow it.

So player A gives the frame to player B 18 points to 0!

wow dnf what a great effort I must applause your thinking.. BUT you are still wrong.

I can't remember the name of the magazine that had this problem in it but it was circulated to most UK snooker clubs around about 1984. I was a referee at the time. Nobody got the answer and the prize was given to the person who actually got the nearest.

perhaps i should give you all 6 days and 3 hours to work it our ( 147 hours)

oh yes also need to let you know technically if a player concedes or retires from a frame of snooker his/her opponent should be awarded all remaining points on the table. so dnf you still really have 18+13=31 sorry

42 is the correct answer, however, i know its not possible but what if player A mirraculously pots 15 reds in one shot and the cue ball also goes in therefor commiting a foul the ref should then give player A no points and player B 4 points. Player B then goes on to pot all remaining colours as the reds cannot be returned to the table after a foul, scores 27 giving a total aggregate score of 31!

i know this is practically impossible, but the question states 'no matter how unlikely it sounds'.

If this was to occur, play could actually stop after the pink was potted, as player B would be ahead by more than 7 points... Which makes the aggregate total 24....

Player one pots all balls but commits a foul on black (the last ball)

Player one receives no points and player two receives the maximum foul points of 7

Player two then pots black for an additional 7 points

14 points total

Player one pots all balls but commits a foul on black (the last ball)

Player one receives no points and player two receives the maximum foul points of 7

Player two then pots black for an additional 7 points

14 points total

if not done in one shot all previous pocketed shots would score. If all ball bar black potted in one shot then yellow green brown blue and pink would be re spotted

if not done in one shot all previous pocketed shots would score. If all ball bar black potted in one shot then yellow green brown blue and pink would be re spotted

I went through 3 different rule websites - all state the same with regards to maximum foul points and re-spotting. Not one states that all colored balls would be respotted - only the missed object ball and only if it is other then red ... my premise still stands unless you can show me the rule that says all balls (non red) would be placed back on the table unpon fouling the black.

I went through 3 different rule websites - all state the same with regards to maximum foul points and re-spotting. Not one states that all colored balls would be respotted - only the missed object ball and only if it is other then red ... my premise still stands unless you can show me the rule that says all balls (non red) would be placed back on the table unpon fouling the black.

1st.. how many shots did you take to pot all the balls up to black... If you cleared all 15 reds and the 1st 5 colours in one shot then that is a foul shot as you can not take a colour untill the shot after pocketing a red. In that case the fouled coloured balls that were pocketed will be re spotted

2nd .. if you pocketed the balls one at a time in a break before fouling the black all your scoring shots count except for the foul stroke shot.

3rd The 1st foul stroke made when only black remains on the table ends the game

Black ball only on table

Player 1. Is the only one with any points upto now, but forfeits the frame

for some reason stated by the ref and loses all points scored.

Player2. Is awarded the 7 points for remaining black

We have a winner.. Well done

Player A and player B are playing a frame of snooker against each other, following proper snooker rules which are observed by the officiating referee.

Aggregate score is the points scored by player A added to the points scored by player B.

At the end of the frame of snooker what is the lowest possible aggregate score for the whole frame?

I want the answer and the reasoning behind it (no matter how unlikely it sounds, it is possible) :thumbsup:

never played, so' read & tried to understand the rules. 99% wrong but i had fun working my brain & not just taking a wild guess. #68 fouled red?

if a player misses a ball he can see clearly three times after having the ball replaced he loses the frame so if this happened before any balls are potted it would be 0 - 0. if this counts this would be the lowest score.