BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cow

rookie1ja

Cow - Back to the Matchstick Puzzles

This cow has the following parts: head, body, horns, legs and tail. It is looking to the left. Move two matches so that it is looking to the right.

Cow - solution

post-2-1175351876_thumbgif

Can be done using only one match then!

Cow - solution

post-4406-1203059386_thumbjpg

Just look at it from the other side now! The problem never mentioned that you cannot move ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, like you can see behind you without turning your whole body around.

I bet if someone showed you the solution image not in the context of the riddle and asked, which way is the cow looking, you would say "right".

And yes, they CAN do it. Loved this one, cracked me up.

mills_cow_450x338.jpg

post-216-1179132239_thumbgif

I think this would also work..! jus move 1 stick and reverse the image (rotate it to 180 degree.)

post-216-1179132624_thumbgif

now the cow is looking opposite direction to the direction it was looking before

ya but you only move one matchstick

You only have to move 1 match.l Move around figure until you face it upside down or if possible (if matches are on paper or a board) flip figure 180 degrees, move match facing right on top left of body to the right of match on lower left of body. Voila!!

Should I sign this solution "mojobrain" or "cheatercheater"?

You only have to move 1 match.l Move around figure until you face it upside down or if possible (if matches are on paper or a board) flip figure 180 degrees, move match facing right on top left of body to the right of match on lower left of body. Voila!!

Should I sign this solution "mojobrain" or "cheatercheater"?

Yeah that's what I did; look at it from upside-down and put match from what were legs to what was the tail and it's looking right :)

Although I do like the way the given solution is simple and make you think about what is possible. It's like by putting the matches inside the box you are thinking outside the box :P

Edited by Monkeyrasta

I read through all the posts for this and I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this. In the solution: The cow is still looking left! If it were looking right we would not be able to see its head because it would be on the other side of its body. So, I propose that the only correct answer would be to remove the 2 matchsticks for its head and infer that it is looking right and not decapitated.

EDIT: OK, I see the semantics game here, but still, in the solution the cow is looking left to see the right side of my monitor, or whatever it's looking at. This justification is too cumbersome, in my opinion.

Edited by itachi-san

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you could reverse image, then why moving any matches ... Unfortunately, reversing is not allowed.

Just move the one match and then sit at the other side of the table!

Lol that is pretty simple. It has nothing to do with what side of the body the cows head is on. Think of where the eyes are looking. If the head is turned to the left he is still looking right and if the head is turned to the right he is still looking right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just a suggestion, the riddle may be better worded using a reindeer, and never mentioning which way it was originally looking. My only point is that the cow in your original picture was looking to the viewers left, but in reality the cow is looking forward or straight ahead. It might be better to just let the reader make the assumption.

This reindeer has, a head, antlers, legs, and a tail. Move tow matches so that it is looking to the right.

Loved this one, it made me laugh