BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

TrollMan

Question

Well, there are too many movies out there that seem to be too predictable, yet so many people line up excitingly to see new clichéd romantic comedies. I’ll admit I’ve fallen into this marketing trap, but only to socialize. :P

Here are some of my favourites:

The Informant!

The Dark Knight

Lions for Lambs

Fight Club

October Sky

V for Vendetta

What are some of yours? :D

Edited by TrollMan

13 answers to this question

I'm not sure if you want me to post favorite recent cliched movies or my favorite flicks of all time (as you have listed some lesser knowns from years past). I'll stick with the latter, though I'm showing my age here. Anyway, these come highly recomended from an aficionado of good film:

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Graduate

The Sting

Three Days of the Condor

Klute

Catch 22

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2012)

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe

The Lion in Winter (superb!)

A Man for all Seasons

There are many, many more, but I tried to list those provocative films that reflect an entertaining and artistic level and mood, while requiring as well a mental participation for their fullest enjoyment.

some good ones there I gotta add

The Usual Suspects

one question though, "The Dark Knight" an intelligent movie?? were you using some illegal substances when you watched that or is there another movie with the same title?

I was definitely going to add "The Usual Suspects." :P

"The Dark Knight" had a very...interesting...reimagining of the Joker that I found provocative. Though I do think that the previous movie was a solid restart to the Batman franchise: "Batman Begins."

Other good movies:

The Matrix (there is only one B)))

The Sting (just to reemphasize what a good movie that is :D)

Ocean's Eleven (with Clooney, I haven't seen the earlier one)

North by Northwest

Casablanca

Comedies often get underrated because they "aren't serious," but I think that there are some very good ones that are very well written and you have to use your head to get some of the jokes:

Men in Black

Galaxy Quest

There's a lot of quick laughs in both of these movies, but they also tell a story and there are so many references or allusions that you can watch them over and over and find something new that you missed the last time around. :lol:

anything by darren arnofsky or david lynch particularly 'the fountain' and 'mulholland dr.'

terry gilliam is another great director 'fear and loathing' 'brazil' '12 monkeys'

good call on 'who's afraid of virginia wolfe?' shakeepuddn! I love films that are nearly all dialogue with only a couple sets yet keep you entertained throughout. like '12 angry men' or 'stalag 17' or 'john carpenter's the thing'

a movie I recently saw that is quite artistic and interesting is 'enter the void' - very unique perspective as well

'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind', 'being john malchovich', 'adaptation', 'the curious case of benjamin button', 'shutter island', 'event horizon' and its so well known but I still love 'the matrix' so much

Yeah, Memento is good. Itachi, Agree on the tense dialogue flicks. Love 12 angry men, and what a stellar cast. I'm surprised nobody mentioned any Hitchcock . . . Rear Window rocks!

heh after I posted that I thought about him. and I also forgot to mention Kubrick, my favorite director of all time... such astounding films as 'a clockwork orange' 'Dr. Strangelove' 'the Shining' 'Eyes Wide Shut' and '2001' all arguably the best of their respective genres

another director I find fascinating is takashi miike. I recommend 'audition' the most. it's not for the faint of heart though and it really sneaks up on you =) his work is so broad ranging from psychotic and sadistic yakuza flicks to westerns and family films. very interesting body of work

Yeah, Memento is good. Itachi, Agree on the tense dialogue flicks. Love 12 angry men, and what a stellar cast. I'm surprised nobody mentioned any Hitchcock . . . Rear Window rocks!

I mentioned "North by Northwest." :P "Rear Window" is good too.

Another movie that's very well crafted, if rather violent and gritty, is "L.A. Confidential." All the scenes work together to direct the characters to the climax.

I agree with pretty much everything been said so far, especially itachi's recommendations, though I'd like to add...

A SCANNER DARKLY (some of the most intelligent/witty dialogue i've ever seen... and VERY cool animation style... and a killer story based on an awesome book by Philip K Dick)

SPIRITED AWAY (complex and interesting)

MOON (very psychological...smart and all twisty-like)

THE DEPARTED (my favorite crime drama...so good...)

I agree with pretty much everything been said so far, especially itachi's recommendations, though I'd like to add...

A SCANNER DARKLY (some of the most intelligent/witty dialogue i've ever seen... and VERY cool animation style... and a killer story based on an awesome book by Philip K Dick)

SPIRITED AWAY (complex and interesting)

MOON (very psychological...smart and all twisty-like)

THE DEPARTED (my favorite crime drama...so good...)

I love all 4 of those =) in the vein of 'a scanner darkly', 'waking life' has a similar animation style and actually preceded it. it's very psychological and quite interesting as well. also, a very under known scorsese film is 'kundun' about the dalai lama. it's really excellent

if ya want a supremely smart crime flick than watch

Millers Crossing, ya spend 3/4 the film wondering why everyone wants Gabriel Byrnes character on their side then ya realize WOW!

for a totally different kind of war movie watch a midnight clear, excelent film and most people have never heard of it. real shame

Edited by Quag