BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

grey cells

Question

This one's easy.I heard this from a friend of mine.I used the search engine and could not find any matches.

So here goes:

It is a rainy day and a storm is brewing in the distance.You are on your way home in your car.At a street corner,you come across three persons , without any rain-protective gear.

Person no.1 : YOUR FRIEND

Person no.2 : YOUR FIANCEE

Person no.3 : A VERY OLD WOMAN whose met with an accident.

Now the problem is your car can accomodate only TWO persons at the same time(driver and ONE passenger) .

You cannot deny your FRIEND a ride because you are indebted to him for saving your life on one particular occasion.

You cannot leave your FIANCEE alone , in fear of your marriage being stopped(this assumption is only for this puzzle ;) ).

If you do not give the OLD WOMAN a lift to the hospital she will die. No other vehicle will come that way later.

Who will you give a ride?

So now what is your solution???

Please feel free to post alternative answers. :)

9 answers to this question

you cannot deny the friend a ride, but he can apparently wait for a ride since there's no immediacy pertaining to him in the question. So he waits with the fiancee while you drive the old woman to the hospital

But itachi-san .. the problem clearly states that if u leave ur fiancee' she would be upset. So we have to assume that we have to satisfy all the parameters (friend's obligation, fiancee's needs and the old woman's situation)

Of course in real life what you state would work, because who now a days are willing to part with their car to their friend? I am not even sure if a person will allow his brother/sister to drive his/her car.

you cannot deny the friend a ride, but he can apparently wait for a ride since there's no immediacy pertaining to him in the question. So he waits with the fiancee while you drive the old woman to the hospital

Yes . I had the same thing in mind(what chanakyavg suggested). That's why I had specified The hallucinatory assumption relating to the fiancee. ;)