BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Laterally speaking

itachi-san

Question

A dangerous fugitive named Johnny B Bad was just spotted in Riddle City. Max Power, the ace detective in Riddle was assigned to hunt him down and bring him in. The witness reported seeing a 5' 7" man with blond hair and green eyes who matched the wanted poster she saw. The witness was the famed Ima Neverwrong and as always she was not mistaken about anything she reported. "She's on the phone as we speak and claims to never have lost sight of him. And that we can be certain that she never will until you get there and see him for yourself." the chief told Max.

Max took the case and told Chief Doubter "this'll be a piece of cake" to which the Cheif replied: "I'm not so sure about that, Max. I've got a report that this guy was part of a covert experiment. He's a clone. And the only other existing clone with that DNA has a clean record and just so happens to work at the Try N' Save Superstore where Johnny's currently holed up. He only just arrived and had no time to dawn any Try N' Save apparel or a nametag." "Let me guess Chief, the other clone's name is Johnny B Good." "What? No, his name is Brian Smith but that's not important right now Max. Stay focused! Miss Neverwrong also reported that there is no chance that either clone has or can dawn any type of disguise before you arrive."

Max grabbed his coat and rushed out the door. "Hey Max!" the Chief called. Max turned back in a rush. "Two more things hot off the wire. Neither clone ever got any scars, injuries, tattoos or any other distinguishing marks. And Johnny's clone is a good guy, but he will do nothing to tip you off as to who is who." "Got it, Chief"

Max got to the Try N' Save, saw the two clones standing next to one another in plain sight, walked up to Johnny, cuffed him and brought him in before either one could say anything. How did he do it?

*Edited to make it a bit more difficult. TheChad solved it right away. kudos

20 answers to this question

Just a guess

Since you said they didn't have time to dawn a disguise, I'm voting that he arrested the guy who wasn't in a work uniform for the Try N' Save

yes. this is one of the answers I was looking for. good job. but what if Ima were to have reported that Brian just got to work and didn't have time to dawn his uniform or a nametag?

Ok, my second possibility is that

Both clones aren't right beside each other.

You merely stated he saw them both, but if one wasn't visible from where Ima Neverwrong is standing, that that cannot be the suspect. So I'm assuming he walked up to the one she was looking at.

Ok, my second possibility is that

Both clones aren't right beside each other.

You merely stated he saw them both, but if one wasn't visible from where Ima Neverwrong is standing, that that cannot be the suspect. So I'm assuming he walked up to the one she was looking at.

hmm. that's true, but unintended. my fault for not eliminating it. let me amend the OP to try to get the other intended answer. but you get credit for solving it originally and very quickly too. Also, I'll eliminate that first answer. I was debating whether that one was too easy or not and I'd like the riddle to last a little longer. although with the braindenizens on the case...

I'm assuming all the info I need is in the riddle, and I am only supposed to use that.

If that is the case, I'm stumped for now.

I have a couple scenarios that could work, but aren't completely fulfilled by the information in the riddle.

Oh, this one's good.

A clone isn't an identical copy. If a fifteen-year-old were cloned, the clone would not be fifteen years old; they'd have to grow up from infancy.

One clone was older and didn't have blond hair anymore. The other was blond.

GO BIOLOGY!

very nice! this was the answer I was looking for

also along these lines:

the other clone was older and went bald by then or just shaved his head if they were in fact the same age

very nice! this was the answer I was looking for

also along these lines:

the other clone was older and went bald by then or just shaved his head if they were in fact the same age

See, I don't buy that answer as acceptable given the situation.

Here's why.

And the only other existing clone with that DNA has a clean record and just so happens to work at the Try N' Save Superstore where Johnny's currently holed up.

Since they are both clones, and not clones of one another, there is an extremely high chance that they are the same 'age'

You also claim that they don't have any distinguishing marks that are different from one another, whereas a hair style would be a distinguishing mark.

See, I don't buy that answer as acceptable given the situation.

Here's why.

And the only other existing clone with that DNA has a clean record and just so happens to work at the Try N' Save Superstore where Johnny's currently holed up.-the word 'other' does not imply they are the same age

Since they are both clones, and not clones of one another, there is an extremely high chance that they are the same 'age' - why would the chances be extremely high? you know nothing of the experiment. also, if they are the same age, I supplied the answer that one shaves his head which is essentially the same point of the answer Witch gave

You also claim that they don't have any distinguishing marks that are different from one another, whereas a hair style would be a distinguishing mark.-hairstyles are not the issue. the difference is that one is now grey or bald. no matter what, that is not a 'distinguishing mark'

retorts located in your spoiler box. I don't really see what your points are.

How do you not see my points?

did you read what i wrote in the spoiler box? in your first 'point' you put the word 'other' in bold. why? it implies nothing. in your second 'point' you're assuming an unobtainable probability. and in your third 'point' you are classifying a trait under a label that it has never been characterized under. I do literally see them, they just don't make sense

did you read what i wrote in the spoiler box? in your first 'point' you put the word 'other' in bold. why? it implies nothing. in your second 'point' you're assuming an unobtainable probability. and in your third 'point' you are classifying a trait under a label that it has never been characterized under. I do literally see them, they just don't make sense

I didn't see your responses in my spoiler box.

Also, you said that all relevant information needed is in the post. Whereas now you are requiring us to assume things.

I could have just as easily said that "He arrested the one with a shopping cart full of stuff" since Brian wouldn't have been shopping since he was starting work.

Also, hair (or lack there of) is a distinguishing feature.

I didn't see your responses in my spoiler box.

Also, you said that all relevant information needed is in the post. Whereas now you are requiring us to assume things.

I could have just as easily said that "He arrested the one with a shopping cart full of stuff" since Brian wouldn't have been shopping since he was starting work.

Also, hair (or lack there of) is a distinguishing feature.

you're conveniently replacing words in the OP to fit your argument. a 'mark' is different than a 'feature' when describing the way a person looks. type of hair is a feature, not a mark as the OP clearly states. also, arguments are essentially pointless when discussing a lateral thinking problem. the whole point is that there are many solutions, but there is only one truly satisfying answer. if you are satisfied by "He arrested the one with a shopping cart full of stuff" then be happy with that and move on...

the fact that such a unique concept as clones were brought up in the puzzle should make it apparent that the answer should revolve around that somehow. clones are generally thought of as identical so thinking outside the box and picturing them at different ages is what makes the answer satisfying

I don't think lateral thinkers are for you. Take this classic one for instance:

you can argue all day that:

1) the midget could have brought a bat, cane or walking stick with him each day to reach the button

2) the midget could have jumped...

etc...

but you'd be wrong because once the answer is revealed it is apparent that that was the riddles intention despite the many arguments you can make against it or the other strange solutions you can come up with

or take this classic: you can argue all day about the many places he could live or how the men died, but it would be silly and pointless

I wont bother providing more examples or pointless arguments. hopefully you get my point that despite how many solutions you can come up with there is one that best fits the given scenario and is satisfying to realize as opposed to something simple and bland like the answers you have provided thus far. also, the very fact that someone answered the intended solution is proof enough that the puzzle was effective and solvable

hopefully you get my point that despite how many solutions you can come up with there is one that best fits the given scenario and is satisfying to realize as opposed to something simple and bland like the answers you have provided thus far. also, the very fact that someone answered the intended solution is proof enough that the puzzle was effective and solvable

(Ordinarily, I would NEVER promote my own thread in somebody else's, but, well, I found your puzzle's answer.)

In the distance, maniacal laughter rings out. An invitation, engraved with an emblem of red and blue roses intertwined in a double helix, falls from the sky. It reads:

The Sapphire Witch invites you to test your mettle.

If you truly persist in the hope that a riddle must have one best answer,

only one answer that sees the true heart of a riddle,

I challenge you to find this answer!

If you truly believe that an answer must use all of the clues,

I challenge you to use them all, every last one!

Edited by WitchOfDoubt

First, let me say that this discussion has broken down into a rather low state, is not profitable, and totally goes against the spirit of fair-minded camaraderie which has always been my impression of the people here at Brain Den. But having said all that, I totally agree with TheChad that the word OTHER in the context of "the only other existing clone" is a clear indication that the two people - the clones - would be the same age. If I were to be cloned there would be ME, and there would be MY CLONE. I would not be referred to as "the other clone" since I would not be a clone but an original. Furthermore, if I were a clone of someone else, and at a later date another clone of that person were made, then one could argue that I was of a different age than the other clone, but this goes way beyond the normal, simple reading of the (twice modified) OP.

Finally, my solution is different yet, assuming that the word OTHER is taken in the spirit in which I read it.

As the detective approached the two (identical) clones, he purposefully crossed the line of sight between the reliable witness and one of the clones. If the witness moves to maintain a line of sight with that clone, then THAT is the culprit clone. If the witness does NOT move, because the detective has NOT interrupted her line of sight to the guilty clone, then the OTHER is the guilty clone.

First, let me say that this discussion has broken down into a rather low state, is not profitable, and totally goes against the spirit of fair-minded camaraderie which has always been my impression of the people here at Brain Den.

good to know you are assuming the moral high ground here... it's just a discussion/debate about a lateral thinking problem and no cause for this type of comment at all

But having said all that, I totally agree with TheChad that the word OTHER in the context of "the only other existing clone" is a clear indication that the two people - the clones - would be the same age. If I were to be cloned there would be ME, and there would be MY CLONE. I would not be referred to as "the other clone" since I would not be a clone but an original. Furthermore, if I were a clone of someone else, and at a later date another clone of that person were made, then one could argue that I was of a different age than the other clone, but this goes way beyond the normal, simple reading of the (twice modified) OP.
you just proved your own point to be incorrect. the word 'other' doesn't imply the same age. let's take a quick example from an awful movie (I'm not going to argue this, if you like the movie fine) but in star wars attack of the clones, all of the clones were made from one particular person's DNA. there were several groups of them all at different ages since they were created in waves. so if I took 2 clones out of the mix, one of age 16 and one of age 8 then I would have one clone and an 'other' clone of different age.

also about the whole OP modification comment, it's a little insulting frankly. especially from someone claiming moral superiority... I gave thechad credit for the first solution and then wanted to see if I could get another solution. having a problem with this probably means you are taking things way too seriously.

as for your solution you are implanting the word 'identical' into the OP and the whole explanation is very convoluted to be considered satisfying imo at least. but as I stated before you can solve this any way you like just like with all lateral thinkers. if you like your answer more than my approved one then congrats! be happy and move on please

good to know you are assuming the moral high ground here... it's just a discussion/debate about a lateral thinking problem and no cause for this type of comment at all

S/he has every right to take the moral high ground when you insult my intelligence by claiming that you don't think this riddles are "for me"

My only issue is that you claimed that all information needed to solve it is within your original post, then you expect answers that aren't derived from your post.

When I did originally solve your riddle, you modified the original post to make my answer null and void, so why should I assume that I can make up my own information for another answer?

I have absolutely no issue with the answers being correct, only the fact that it is contrary to what you stated you wanted.