BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Double code

Question

Inspired by such good codes as presented by wolfgang, mewminator and revathiest, here is one that I hope will give some challenge.

s pzaacdersx rajnqdy ,plumcktzuhavtoiqoonb rafraex ucuotdxetdb bayl nsyapmcer it ebcbnniaqyuzew eaas slpektztmejrnsf.m twhzee cckobdeeh eonnnlryr taalblcogwcs nfaoorb occormum apsj,d prewryivoodxsg eaunsdn slpcauclessf.v

This is a double code. When you solve the simple, first code, it will give you a clue to the second code

Looks are decieving, sometimes what appears as one space may actually be mutiple spaces and this is no accident and is significant in decoding

22 answers to this question

Should there be a "v" after the period in the code? Should it be where it is, before the period, or not there at all. Is it significant?

The period and v are located in the correct order. Yes, the order matters

The order always matters in getting the simple solution but sometimes adjacent letters could be reversed for the more difficult answer.

I guess it's time for another clue.

To decode the first message (a clue to the second), not all letters are used. To decode the more difficult message, you must use all the characters.

spaces and puctuation are coded by same tecnique as letters. the code only allows for commas, periods and spaces. .

Yes!, That is the easy part and the clue to the second part, sorry about misspelling third word.
Since coding includes puctuation, you have 26 letters + spaces and commas and periods for a total of 29 coded characters.
0-28

I'm seeing that 'technique' is also misspelled.

Thoughful, will I be able to solve part two 'as is', or will these missing letters ('n' in punctuation, 'h' in technique) mess me up?

I used a spreadsheet to code it and to decode the results to verify that the decoding gave me back the original so it can be decoded as is.

If I corrected the spelling, then the character with which it is paired would also need to be changed. I also needed to get both statements the same length.

It is a quote. It contains a period but is before the name of the author.

I used modulo 28 in my translators. Don't forget that multiple spaces does matter and letters can be paired with punctuation or space.

I didn't think I had made it quite so difficult. Once you see the key, it is easy.

If you find the answer, please tell me if you used this really big hint.

The characters that form the first statement is also an indicator of method to use for that pair.

I used Modulo 28 to aid in encoding and translating the code.

The answer is a quote. It has a period but does not end in a period. Last character is the last letter of the original author's name.

The difficult one is a quote. The easy one, solved by gadaju in post #6 , is a clue to aid in the decoding of the more difficult and does end with a period. Only the second is a quote and is a single quote.

Now that the easier double code has been solved, here is another clue

As in the easier double code, more than one combination can translate into the same letter. While

BD does equal f in this double code as in the easy code, the combination g, does not equal f in this original double code.
This hint may be confusing to those that have not solved the teqnique of the easier double code.

If you have solved the easier double code and the simple half of the code this hint might be helpful.

the sign is determined by some characteristic of the character that was used in the solution to the simple part of the code.

Guess time for another clue:

m" ]Both "rw" and "cp" yields "m". There are other combinations that also yeild "m".

n" ]both "rx" and "cq" translate to "n"

not only do "rx" and "cq" translate to "n", but also "xr" and "qc" translate to "n". However "wr" and "pc" do not translate to "m".

Edited by thoughtfulfellow

I don't know from where to start :huh:

When I realized that I made this one too tricky, I created the easier double code which gadju solved. He did not explain his method. I recomend trying it first and reading the clues. Remember there are two, equal length codes and the complex code requires the use of all the letters. I think what makes it so hard is that spaces, commas and periods are treated just like all other characters and are coded by the same method so you need to watch for double spaces which are significant. These are easier to identify after you get the first message. gadju pointed out a typo in the easy message when he solved it. I check back several times during the evening and early morning and will answer specific questions.
The clues, I hope, lead you to the conclusion that the code is based on paired letters, so start by pairing off, remembering the possibility of paired spaces. "Inspired by such good codes as presented by wolfgang, mewminator and revathiest" from the puzzle was a hint since they inspired me to do this.
converting letters to numbers will help

In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of choice, but nothing to choose from. Peter Ustinov

If the easy code is an odd number perform 1 simple function, if the even perform a different simple function. Focus on SIMPLE.

space and period=0; comma=27

Edited to fix spoiler error

Edited by tonyd

In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of choice, but nothing to choose from. Peter Ustinov

If the easy code is an odd number perform 1 simple function, if the even perform a different simple function. Focus on SIMPLE.

space and period=0; comma=27

Edited to fix spoiler error

Yes! I am deligheted that someone figured it out.