BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

Detective Somerset was called to the scene of the apparent suicide of Mr. Smith, the high school shop teacher (please know that I have nothing against shop teachers)

The room was left for Somerset exactly as it had been found. When Somerset arrived he was amazed at how large the shop lab was. The walls were extremely high and the vaulted ceiling caused his footsteps to echo in sharp taps as he entered empowering him with a sense of authority. The beams and rafters were visible above him as if a normal ceiling had never been made. The massive windows near the top of the walls let in so much of the early- afternoon sun that almost the entire room was illuminated. The sunlight was so intense that Somerset had to look away from the window area after a time and blink his eyes for several seconds to get a clear picture of the dead man on the jigsaw. The jigsaw was positioned almost exactly in the center of the room and fully lit up by the sun almost as if it were a spotlight. The jigsaw was so massive and powerful that it surely would have killed Smith the moment his neck made contact with it. Aside from the grizzly gash on Smith's neck, there were no signs of struggle or other wounds. Somerset prodded a note left behind by Smith that lay slightly crumpled on his desk. The note made perfect sense out of why Smith would want to kill himself and do it this gruesomely and in this setting. The writing looked to be a perfect match as well, and would at least take days to be proven a forgery by an analyst. Somerset took one more quick glance around the room and proclaimed that Smith was murdered.

How did he know?

Edited by itachi-san

13 answers to this question

Forgive my ignorance.But I am curious to know what a jigsaw is.I know of jigsaw as a puzzle .Is this some sort of contraption suspended from above.

It was mentioned that the ceilings were not normal.So he could not have comitted suicide(assuming it to be a suspended contraption)

Edited by grey cells

If the room was large and if the dead man was bang in the middle of the room, not having gone to schools which has "work shops" I would guess that there is no power outlets near the place or crime. which means that the shop teacher was murdered by someoe else or at a different place. Hence it was a murder.

I got it!... I think

The jigsaw would still be running if he had killed himself, as he would not have been able to turn it off. Since it wasn't still on he didn't kill himself so either was forced onto it by someone, or killed at a prior location.

Edited by Noct

I don't know. He looked around the room one last time and then determined it was a murder. I think he would have gotten past the jigsaw still being on. That wouldn't have been the last thing he noticed since he was looking right at it, unless the riddle just means that's when he put the pieces together.

Congrats again Noct, you really got my number on these :o

And yes, Lausus, it's just meant that he put all the pieces together. Nice one as well.

Just to throw the reasoning out there: his footsteps wouldn't be able to be heard above the running saw.

Edited by itachi-san