BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Brian Dennis: Legacy

Cavenglok

The map will be important through the whole mystery. I actually put it as my desktop image so I can work on the mystery and work with the map at the same time...

Brian Dennis lives off the map, next to the Climax City Hall. It's irrelevant.

You fingerprint the glass. You get the results and read them. They belong to one of the cooks at the restaurant, a certain Ms. Sarah Steam. You arrest her. Sarah Steam is now available for interrogation.

Now tell me what happened to Brian Henry from all the clues you got.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! My first contribution!

Questions for Ms. Steam:

-Why were her prints on the item that potentially caused the death of her co-worker

-Can she ID the owner of the knife found at the crime scene (the chefs may supply their own cutlery and it could be traced to a specific owner)

Was the knife dusted for prints?

Yay! My first contribution!

Questions for Ms. Steam:

-Why were her prints on the item that potentially caused the death of her co-worker

-Can she ID the owner of the knife found at the crime scene (the chefs may supply their own cutlery and it could be traced to a specific owner)

Was the knife dusted for prints?

Yes, it was fingerprinted, but unfortunately, the only fingerprints are yours from removing the knife. It appears the murderer was wearing gloves.

Also, before we interrogate Ms. Steam, what level of security should we put around her?

SUSPECT, definitely. Ask her what she was doing with the glass. Does she know the coed to the safe? And also, before these, make sure you're nice to her. You know, ask the basics. Like, what is your relation to him, what were you doing at the time, what you were doing when he was in the kitchen, are there any witnesses to back this up, did he ahve any enemies, that sort of stuff. Basically, the questions we used against Nathan and Marilyn. Then pull out the suspect questions: what were you doing with the glass, whether the stand is for a thermometer, why is it empty, etc, etc. Also, you never told me, is it okay to just threaten the suspect with the taser? Like, pull it out and stuff, but don't actually use it?

You know, I feel like we should have a set of basic interrogation questions. Like, Set 1 for irrelevant witnesses, Set 2 for friends and family, Set 3 for potential suspects. So we just tell you, use Set 1 on Person X, and we don't constantly have to type things out... :unsure:

I agree... SUSPECT for sure.

I get the feeling that the murder began as an unfortunate kitchen accident and, out of panic, a "murder" was staged to mask the real story. It's the post mortem injuries that are leading me to this wild conclusion. The letter clinched in the victim's fist could have been planted by anyone and since WE have such a well-known reputation, we are an easy name to come up with for the threat. Can we go as far as a handwriting comparison of our current witnesses/suspects to make sure the note came from an (currently) unknown source?

*looks at Ac with extreme admiration* Where have you been all this time? I swear, you're easily [iMO, at least] one of our best people! I don't think any of us thought that far back or as extreme as handwriting comparison. Are you, like, a PI or something IRL?

First, thank you very much for the compliments. I am not any sort of detective. I am a mechanical designer/draftsman. I do think that my career helps with the problem solving aspect of this game, though. I'm glad to help you on this. This has been pretty fun to read the past couple days.

Yeah, as far as I see, everyone contributed to the mystery by cracking my hard-thought riddles like an egg shell. In fact, it's not cool how fast you guys are going. >:( Just joking, keep up the good work. MiKi with her interrogations, Star with his switching to Roman names, (clever little...) Aco with his uncanny ability to use parts of the crime scene I haven't even thought of, guppy for noticing everything. (including the map, he listened to me! 10 more points for guppydor) Thanks so much for being awesome, guys. :)

You fingerprint the safe. There are a few fingerprints on the bottom of the safe and on the lock. There are scratches on the shelf below the safe.

INTERROGATION: SARAH STEAM (suspect)

Sarah Steam is an old woman with wrinkles on her skin that look like it's a heavy cloak draped on her body. Her eyes are tinted with red. She has a wisp of white hair on her chin and her mouth shows irritation. She's hunched over and looks like a female Scrooge.

YOU: Hello, Ms. Steam.

STEAM: What did I do?

YOU: That's what we're here to find out. I'm just gonna ask you a few questions. Answer them truthfully.

STEAM: Let's wrap this up quickly. What do you want?

YOU: Okay. What is your relationship to Mr. Henry?

STEAM: (smirking) Oh, Brian? He was an odd kid. Always so paranoid. He used to be an okay kid, but his optimism annoyed me. And then he got really paranoid and somewhat sadist. I like that. Too bad he's dead now.

YOU: That's a nice thing to say.

STEAM: Never really liked him much.

YOU: Okay then. What were you doing 1:00 in the morning?

STEAM: Sleeping at the Hotel d'Pratteux. What else would I do?

YOU: I don't know. That's why I was asking. What were you doing with the glass in the safe?

STEAM: (neutral) What glass?

YOU: Don't play that game with me. I think we both know that you were touching that glass.

STEAM: (lightly) Ah, fingerprint. Well, I was just using it to cook. It broke in the pot, so I threw it in the trash.

YOU: Well then, how'd it end up on the safe with your fingerprints on it?

STEAM: (confused) Hm... I don't know anything about a safe. Although I do have a safe for all my goods in the lobby of the hotel.

YOU: So I'm guessing that stand on the wall was for the broken thermometer?

STEAM: (smirk) No, it's for the hanging elephant.

YOU: Don't get sarcastic with me, Steam. So you wanted the thermometer to measure the heat of the boiling water?

STEAM: (nods) That's right. I was making coffee and I wanted to measure it to a certain temperature, and I had it right, and I was tapping it on the pot as a bad habit, and I tapped too hard. I dumped the coffee in the trash. This was the night before, by the way. So I dumped the coffee and the broken thermometer in the trash.

Comparing handwriting. This murder case may go a lot quicker than I intended. I may have to come up with a second murder to time this well. :)

You ask everyone to write the word, "Menace" in order to compare the note's e and n and with the witnesses'.

Nathan Thomas' handwriting is an elegant, cursive scrawl that stretches the lower case e as a wide loop that flicks slightly at the end and n's with a small flick on the right end.

Sarah Steam's handwriting is scratchy, and uneven. The e's are barely legibly swirls. n has longer ends.

Marilyn Cabot's handwriting is rigid and robotic. The letters look like the font in this mystery.

The note's handwriting is rushed, almost as if the writer was running whilst writing it. The e's end extends far. The n's stretch down and off the paper, as if the writer jerked and the pen scratched off the paper. You notice that there's a small line that looks like a flicking extension of the n. In fact, if the paper was larger, you could imagine the end of the n being a large flick.

Also, @Aco, if you were an actual PI, I would have just shut up because I'm really some teenager writing a modern Sherlock Holmes wanna-be. :)

@Morn Yes, yes, good thinking! This is the most fun I had, you guys picking up on my attempts to discreetly hide things. Anyway. Talk to some people about it, I guess. You're the detective.

Edited by Cavenglok