BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Touch

rookie1ja

Hey

I am new to this forum. I have thought of a possible answer. But I am not able to upolad any file nor copy paste any image.

you can try the following:

1. save the image on your pc

2. log into this forum

3. post reply

4. filename - browse (find the file on you your pc)

5. push "add the file"

6. push "submit"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, your options are logical

well, what about this one?

In your picture, the yellow and green pencil cannot be touching the orange due to the angle of the pencils with one end on the table and the other resting on the purple pencil. This angle would prevent them from actually touching the orange pencil. In a top down view, they appear to be touching, but if you took a look from the side, you would find a small gap between the pencils.

post-2931-1196003878_thumbjpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like touch2solution.gif shows 7 matchsticks (pencils). Pretty impressive.

If you look closely at the Touch2Solution you will see that the "RED" and the "LIGHT BLUE" match are "NOT TOUCHING"! The Thickness or mass of the "DARK BLUE" match is seperating them from touching. It may Appear that they are in contact from an ariel view, however it is obvious that anything with mass is going to seperate 2 objects if it is between them.

Tell me what you think about my findings. I'm open for debate!

it is touching... u just need 2 look at it closly

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
How about this one????

There is no way the three matches that cross in the center are touching each other...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have another solution (sorry, I don't have an image, so I made use of characters):

Make two groups with three matches each. Arrange the matches in each group like this:

/|\ /|\

Make sure the right and left matches in each group are touching each other, by their heads. In order to allow this, the centered one must be placed a little bit lower down.

Then rotate one of the groups 90 degrees and place it right above the other one.

There is no way the three matches that cross in the center are touching each other...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have another solution (sorry, I don't have an image, so I made use of characters):

Make two groups with three matches each. Arrange the matches in each group like this:

/|\ /|\

Make sure the right and left matches in each group are touching each other, by their heads. In order to allow this, the centered one must be placed a little bit lower down.

Then rotate one of the groups 90 degrees and place it right above the other one.

Yes, finally someone got it! :ph34r:

/ | \\

/ | \\ <these should be touching as well

---| <bottom layer top layer> \\

\ | so that

\ | they cross all sticks

/ =1 stick

/ |

|

|=1 stick \ \

--- = 1 stick | \ \ = 1 stick

| \= \

1 stick

\

\=1 stick

sorry about the crude diagram...hope you can see what I do

P.S. the angle made by the far left outside sticks is supposed to be a little less extreme.

/ | \\

/ | \\ <these should be touching as well

---| <bottom layer top layer> \\

\ | so that

\ | they cross all sticks

/ =1 stick

/ |

|

|=1 stick \ \

--- = 1 stick | \ \ = 1 stick

| \= \

1 stick

\

\=1 stick

sorry about the crude diagram...hope you can see what I do

P.S. the angle made by the far left outside sticks is supposed to be a little less extreme.

Sorry. It wasn't supposed to look like that...When i typed it, the spaces deleted or something. Forget I even said that

• 4 weeks later...
In your picture, the yellow and green pencil cannot be touching the orange due to the angle of the pencils with one end on the table and the other resting on the purple pencil. This angle would prevent them from actually touching the orange pencil. In a top down view, they appear to be touching, but if you took a look from the side, you would find a small gap between the pencils.

True, but if you lifted the pencils that are laying on the ground, that would take care of this problem. But then it would be hard to take the photo.

Anybody else agree that the Star of David (two criss-crossed triangles of three matches each) does work? I'm pretty sure it does.

• 4 weeks later...

make a group of three matches in arrow formation and put them on top of eachother, one facing north, the other facing south

Edited by Triforce228

• 2 weeks later...
draw a simple picture in paint and attach it in your post

sorry just got a mac...i'm unfamiliar to the features and don't really know how to do stuff--its more of a learning experience

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does the solution with seven pencils all touching work with matchsticks? or does it only work because the central pencil happens to have a hexagonal cross section?

Unless a bit of paper was slid under the orane per to raise it just a fraction..

• 3 weeks later...