BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Riddle Triad

WitchOfDoubt

Question

19 answers to this question

MissKitten: Far from it.

Newbie: No, no, and no.

TheChad: That would be an excellent answer for the first riddle alone, but isn't what I was looking for - it doesn't fit the pattern of the three answers.

Here are some clues to eliminate some general possibilities:

The answer is not a physical illness.

The arms are not human arms.

The sword's end did not kill or wound.

Edited by WitchOfDoubt

Really enjoyed this one WitchOfDoubt! Most impressive especially considering it's your first (hopefully of many). Think it could have easily gone three, four, or more pages. Had tried the answer for the last one previously but couldn't make any connections with the other two until the possibility of the middle one dawned on me and then it all fell into place. Sometimes (usually with a high quality riddle) something just clicks and you get an early answer. More please? :thumbsup:

Thank you for the encouragement. This one's been through a few drafts. The original version was MUCH easier and posted for a less intense audience, and used lots of cliches (shadows getting shorter at noon, chess knight described as a person, etc.)

I'm still not entirely happy with the last one. For one thing, knights are knighted with the flat of a blade, not, generally speaking, the tip. For another, it doesn't make a neat rhyming couplet. I'd be happy to hear suggestions!

Nah, it's good. ;) Riddlers get to have some.... riddling license, would it be?..... with what they create. Not all riddles are extremely accurate. For example, I wrote a riddle about a hummingbird [Molly Mae solved it in about 20 minutes. :dry:] where I had a line that said something like, "I commandeer the air." Basically, I was saying that hummingbirds are the only birds who can fly up, down, frontwards, backwards, side to side, and hover. So they don't actually commandeer the air, because they're so low in the pecking order, but I was giving that allusion to the ways it can fly. And not all riddles have to rhyme. I know riddlers like plasmid, pg, shakee, etc. don't rhyme a lot of their riddles. It's easier for me to rhyme mine, since I'm an amateur, and most of my riddles are solved on the first page or so [well, more like the first post.... :dry:] but the riddle can be just as good without the rhyming. I really liked the phrasing and cadence of your third riddle, and I think you could very well have ruined it by trying to rhyme it. But yeah, don't worry, they were all really good! :thumbsup: