BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

superprismatic

Question

BEAL'S CONJECTURE: If Ax + By = Cz , where A, B, C, x, y and z are positive integers

and x, y and z are all greater than 2, then A, B and C must have a common prime factor.

EXAMPLE: 36 + 183 = 38

COOL THING: As far as I can tell, a prize of $100,000 is still unclaimed for someone

who can produce either a proof or a counterexample of this conjecture.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd love to see someone from this forum win the prize!

6 answers to this question

COOL THING: As far as I can tell, a prize of $100,000 is still unclaimed for someone

who can produce either a proof or a counterexample of this conjecture.

$100,000. Still not enough motivation to get me to sit down and try to figure this out. My laziness know no bounds.

Anywho, I had not heard of this conjecture until now. This is intriguing!

Well, if any two of {A,B,C} have the same prime factor, then the other must (trivial to prove). So we are looking for a case where all 3 are relatively prime.

I'm thinking my approach will involve lots of modular arithmetic, but nothing of note to report right now. And given there's a prize on this one, I'm thinking it's been tried before by people more familiar with the necessary maths to solve it (I know next to nothing about rings/fields/etc). Still interesting though, so I'll play with it for a while.