BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Occupy Flash

Molly Mae

err flash player is required for many applications, including watching youtube videos. and it's free. i guess it's techincally virus prone, but most popular software is.

i support both the tea party and the occupy wallstreet movement. yeah there's some crazies in there, but that's to be expected i think.

i don't really understand how you can despise politics. politics is just a view point on how government should be run (or not run, depending on your view). do you have no opinion on that?

It's going to be run poorly anyway. Why should I care who is making it run poorly?

But I digress. This isn't a politics thread.

err flash player is required for many applications, including watching youtube videos.

This is the point. There are better ways to develop. Why should we be stuck with flash just because it currently dominates the web? If the 99% stand up and stop using flash, we can make a difference.

(This is clearly shameless theft of OWS themes...=P)

• 1 month later...
But I digress. This isn't a politics thread.

umm kinda is :P

It's going to be run poorly anyway. Why should I care who is making it run poorly?

Oh politics is a rich white man's game of rampant unchecked corruption and greed, leading (whether intentionally like some conspiracy theorists probably falsely believe, or more realistically, unintentionally, via apathy and avarice) to a cabalistic control group and an overbloated overcomplicated economy of waste based on horrific ideals of innocent consumers who have fallen in line with the corporate washout of the uniqueness and active spirit that originally defined the revolutions and foundings of great new nations.... which have fallen into total political despair nowadays... a bloated bloated bloated government running many bloated bloated systems too arcane and beaurocratic to sway from their bizarre norms in the quest of greater human achievment and most importantly our balance with the rest of nature (we are just 1 species on this planet), overcoming our hedonistic animalistic survivalistic inner natures if we are too live together on such a mass scale as has never been done before by other animals.

So yes, I am the first to agree with you and say, F**K POLITICS! Why vote when the electoral college system, complete financially-discriminative shutdown of third party candidates, and god knows what else guarantees your vote to be practically worthless and useless? Essentially, your vote in 'democracy' has been 'bought out' by someone else. It's effectively true. yes that's what happens when money gets involved in poltiics and THAT is what the occupy movement is more or less about. I am part of the Occupy Ann Arbor movement and certainly there are good people there and good ideas and good spirit to change things, though I have been detaching from it lately for reasons of time management but also the movement suffers from the kind of indirection that I don't have the time to take into my own hands and many others don't, but this is the same problem that the entire large-scale Occupy movement also suffers from: this disorganization is both its blessing and its curse.

but anyway since you dont' seem interested in actually talking about what you started a thread about i'll just close my case...

We may be singing the same "f*** Politics" song, but we're certainly singing in a different key. Maybe a different language. I don't care about politics the same way I don't care about the PGA. And I absolutely hate how everything eventually returns to politics. /EOS

Those who don't make an attempt to change things will be eternally stuck in their rut (or until someone else changes it for them). I admit it is almost certainly futile. That doesn't make it less important. But I also don't really think about politics THAT much on a daily basis so I feel where you're coming from

• 2 weeks later...

Um... jumping straight in here (both as a long-past student of politics and as someone with an interest in politics) even though am new :)

EVERYTHING is politics. All politics is, really, is human interaction. The bit to despise about politics is the game politicians - the professional would be legislators - play. Most of the people who seek power really aren't the people who should have any power. And the worst aspects of politics are always to be found in either politicians who can't/won't separate personal beliefs (including religious and moral beliefs) from utilitarian needs, or those who are easily bought. With the latter a lot depends upon the political system: when you need a large amount of finance to become a politician, then the chances are you are going to be more easily swayed by the people with the money to back you.

However, politics permeates every aspect of what we do. Forum discussions are politics (even when they thread is apolitical) because people submit their points of view. Deciding where a group of friends are going to go on a night out is politics because it involve persuasion and negotiation. Organised religion is highly political. Persuading people to not use Flashplayer is politics ;)

Don't hate politics, hate the political game and the political system that prevents the people who should be the REAL politicians - everyone - from having an equal say.

I can't tell if that's exaggerated or not...but I would argue that my morning cereal is not politics.

hmm. I don't know about that. Think about the various taxes put on the sale and production of the product as well as regulations put on the company to do all sorts of things from quality control to inclusion of the nutrition facts.

My opinion of how to make government more efficient and less corrupt is similar to the tea party although I don't agree with everything they say nor some of the off the wall candidates they have put up for election. I do support them though, just as I support anyone's right to lawful protest. But basically I think the proper way to implement govt is to have as much control on the local level as possible. Fed govt should only be worried about national defense, public safety and national transportation as far as I'm concerned. Everything else should be left up to the states, provinces, cities and towns when it comes to civil laws. In the US for instance a town in TX is going to have a massive percentage of people who want to live under completely different conditions as those from a town in the NW or NE states so I say let them do what they want and then people can choose which areas in a country to live that best suite their ideals and life objectives

itachi! Long time no see, what's up man :ph34r: Haven't been on brainden in forever it seems but this topic opened a potentially interesting can of worms so we'll see. Also, haven't forgotten the untitled PHOENIX project ;D I did get that writers guild thing in the mail last year.

& From what you're saying it sounds like you're gonna be voting for Ron paul 2012

hmm. I don't know about that. Think about the various taxes put on the sale and production of the product as well as regulations put on the company to do all sorts of things from quality control to inclusion of the nutrition facts.

I don't think about those things. I don't care about those things. I just eat my cereal.

Most things might be in some way affected by politics, but that doesn't make them politics.

If you don't like politics, you might as well kill yourself.( no offense intended.) Of course, that might not even help as what ever your religion ( excepting atheism, but that's not really a religion.) there is an afterlife or you get reborn. if it's afterlife, then some almighty deity or deities are ruling it which is dictatorship. if you are reborn, then you still live in a politic riddled world. the world as we know it was built with politics. Face it, you don't hate politics, you hate the people that made it so mind-numbingly stupid/boring and those who complicated everything to the point that if you vote for a law/ measure, you actually vote against it.

But I digress. This post was not or ever was intended for belittling or otherwise hurting/insulting any entity, person, or religion.

If you don't like politics, you might as well kill yourself.( no offense intended.) Of course, that might not even help as what ever your religion ( excepting atheism, but that's not really a religion.) there is an afterlife or you get reborn. if it's afterlife, then some almighty deity or deities are ruling it which is dictatorship. if you are reborn, then you still live in a politic riddled world. the world as we know it was built with politics. Face it, you don't hate politics, you hate the people that made it so mind-numbingly stupid/boring and those who complicated everything to the point that if you vote for a law/ measure, you actually vote against it.

But I digress. This post was not or ever was intended for belittling or otherwise hurting/insulting any entity, person, or religion.

And I disagree. If a thing is defined as "political" it's only because the ignorant masses have put that label on it.

But I also think we're using different definitions of the word politics, so I'll define my meaning here:

The activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, esp. the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power

The activities of governments concerning the political relations between countries

The academic study thereof

And again, I hate politics. The people make the system and the system makes the people. I hate them all and have as little to do with the whole mess as possible.

If you support politics, you might as well kill yourself (offense meant) because you're either broken and you'll make the system worse or the system will break you and make you worse.

No come-backsies.

All I want to say is that politics is as essential (Did I spell that right?) to human development as... say Flash is for Youtube.

Again, see above disclaimer.

Just because the latter is presently essential doesn't mean that it can't be rebuilt on a better model that would make Flash (politics) obsolete.

itachi! Long time no see, what's up man :ph34r: Haven't been on brainden in forever it seems but this topic opened a potentially interesting can of worms so we'll see. Also, haven't forgotten the untitled PHOENIX project ;D I did get that writers guild thing in the mail last year.

& From what you're saying it sounds like you're gonna be voting for Ron paul 2012

hey what's up! project phoenix ftw! def. gonna get back on that ride when the time is right =) and it will be in a year or two ;)

I do support Ron Paul to an extent but he takes things a bit too far imo. he's still the closest to my philosophy out there. everyone else seems corrupt or just plain stupid...

• 4 months later...

Just because the latter is presently essential doesn't mean that it can't be rebuilt on a better model that would make Flash (politics) obsolete.

Eh, fair enough.though I do want to point out that for the majority of the human races' history, this is the better alternative.

Eh, fair enough.though I do want to point out that for the majority of the human races' history, this is the better alternative.

I don't know that you can say that with any kind of scientific accuracy.

You can't compare the results of choosing one over the other. You also can't determine the future worth of one choice over the other. So you're always looking for what works right now instead of what might work in the (relatively) far future. You can use these same arguments on me, however, and then we eventually break down to "Does it even really matter?"

It's an opinion.

But, for the record, I am the 1%.