BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Unearthly Riddle

Shakeepuddn

Question

13 answers to this question

Schrödinger’s Cat

Schrödinger's Cat is a thought experiment in Quantum Mechanics to illustrate a common paradox that describes the behavior of subatomic particles. The cat is not a real cat, but it represents the reality of how particles behave. The cat is locked in a box with a poisonous gas canister rigged to a fifty-fifty device (Einstein's version proposed TNT). It may trigger the gas, thus "putting down" the kitty or it might not. The only way to find out is to look. However, by quantum standards, where the cat represents a particle state or position, it is both dead AND alive until the experimentor actually views it. The act of observation itself impacts what the condition will be. Here's a good explanation:

Yep, not surprised it was the Dude. I expect we share a common interest in the little things of life.

Schrödinger’s Cat

Schrödinger's Cat is a thought experiment in Quantum Mechanics to illustrate a common paradox that describes the behavior of subatomic particles. The cat is not a real cat, but it represents the reality of how particles behave. The cat is locked in a box with a poisonous gas canister rigged to a fifty-fifty device (Einstein's version proposed TNT). It may trigger the gas, thus "putting down" the kitty or it might not. The only way to find out is to look. However, by quantum standards, where the cat represents a particle state or position, it is both dead AND alive until the experimentor actually views it. The act of observation itself impacts what the condition will be. Here's a good explanation:

Yep, not surprised it was the Dude. I expect we share a common interest in the little things of life.

:offtopic: Ah, minute physics ... I learn more about actual physics from youtube than I ever did in a class. (Kinda sad.) This is my favorite so far though. :)