BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

22 answers to this question

Not sure of your intent, here is 1 possible interpretation:

substituting a=1, b=2, c=3 etc. and adding up values of each word in "an ill person having an isoscales triangle" and applying operands I arrived at:

15+33+87-61-15-102+86=43. On the other hand, If your intent was the correct spelling in English "isosceles", then this simple answer is wrong and requires more thought.

A man got sick when he wanted to digest information...so he "ate T1" (81). Everyone was so awed by this feat, that they gave him high-fives--there were fifty of them, so the man ended up giving away fifty-fives (81-55). As a trophy, they gave the man a trophy in the shape of an isosceles triangle (+17)*. 81-55+17=43

*Note: The 17 doesn't look like an isosceles triangle, but the one he received actually was...

If you have any complaints with this logic, please read the spoiler in my sig about Fab's 4 Rules. Thx.

A sick person often receives an IV..... IV = 4.

An isosceles triangle has 3 sides.....3=3

put them together (IV and 3)

you get 43

Well, this does not use addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. You simply stuck the digits together.

Still, more progress than I'm getting.

Edited by phil

A man got sick when he wanted to digest information...so he "ate T1" (81). Everyone was so awed by this feat, that they gave him high-fives--there were fifty of them, so the man ended up giving away fifty-fives (81-55). As a trophy, they gave the man a trophy in the shape of an isosceles triangle (+17)*. 81-55+17=43

*Note: The 17 doesn't look like an isosceles triangle, but the one he received actually was...

If you have any complaints with this logic, please read the spoiler in my sig about Fab's 4 Rules. Thx.

:D:lol: funny...but not the one...

Surely it isn't some manipulation

In word ILL, drop one L and move the I over and down to cross the leg of the L in such a way to form a 4 then take the the three sides of the triangle, place vertically side by side to form the roman numeral III = 3. Take them together to form 43.

I don't believe this is the solution since it does not use +,-,X or /. But we can use +,-,X or /

Triangle is Delta in Greek alphabet. Delta = D. D in Roman numerals = 500 and L = 50. S0 we can get L-D/L; 50-500/50=40 then add the I (Roman numeral for 1) three times to arrive at a grand total of 43.

Of course this is even less likely to be right.

Surely it isn't some manipulation

In word ILL, drop one L and move the I over and down to cross the leg of the L in such a way to form a 4 then take the the three sides of the triangle, place vertically side by side to form the roman numeral III = 3. Take them together to form 43.

I don't believe this is the solution since it does not use +,-,X or /. But we can use +,-,X or /

Triangle is Delta in Greek alphabet. Delta = D. D in Roman numerals = 500 and L = 50. S0 we can get L-D/L; 50-500/50=40 then add the I (Roman numeral for 1) three times to arrive at a grand total of 43.

Of course this is even less likely to be right.

you are close to the answer,,but still not the right one.

you can disconnect the trianlgle`s base,and use it elsewhere..

and you can also reverse the triangle upside down.

Then, assuming we are not required to use all of it

Start with an L from ILL then remove bottom of triangle, Flip over remaining part to form V, Put the I from ILL and the bottom of the triangle to the right of the V and put all together to get the equation:

L-VII = 50-7 = 43

Then, assuming we are not required to use all of it

Start with an L from ILL then remove bottom of triangle, Flip over remaining part to form V, Put the I from ILL and the bottom of the triangle to the right of the V and put all together to get the equation:

L-VII = 50-7 = 43

I want you to use them all... :rolleyes:

As nobody was able to solve this(easy) puzzle..I am going to solve it...

We need to use these things:

1-letter (I) from the word ..isoscales.

2-inverted triangle without its base(V).

3-triangle base(I).

4-the word(ILL).

now we are going to rearrenge them to make this equation:

L - ( IL / VII ) = 43

Use the word(ILL),and a triangle.

3-triangle base(I).

4-the word(ILL).

L - ( IL / VII ) = 43

I've been losing sleep on this one, seemed like it should be easy - never would have gotten it though since I have been ignoring the significance of "isosceles". Thank you for sharing the answer, think I'll get some sleep tonight.

3-triangle base(I).

4-the word(ILL).

L - ( IL / VII ) = 43

I should point out that IL is actually not a "correct" roman numeral. 49 is actually represented as XLIX...you can't subtract a number more than two "digits" different than the next "digit"...take a look at this link for details:

http://romannumerals.mobi/

So, I don't think that's a valid answer to the question...

I should point out that IL is actually not a "correct" roman numeral. 49 is actually represented as XLIX...you can't subtract a number more than two "digits" different than the next "digit"...take a look at this link for details:

http://romannumerals.mobi/

So, I don't think that's a valid answer to the question...

I did notice the same poor format for Roman numerals however it is easy to see an alternate that does satisfy proper format so thought it wasn't significant. Just turn it like this:

L-((L-I)/VII)=43.

Of course, since we have in Isosceles an additional C and L, we could do it several other ways. For example:

C/L-I+L-L/V+II=43