In downward spiral, chaos calls

Destroying the orderly life

Until the ruler finally falls

Thus bringing and end to this strife

• Answers 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Haha, Mafia fits so well! But I avoid riddling about things that less than 95+% of the population would know about, and it unfortunately still falls in that category. Anyone who wants to help change that can and Wine could also be a pretty good fit, although the makers are not generally classified as scholars.

Not an ancient language or prediction; those would be too close to the thing I'm saying I'm not in the title, so they wouldn't make for a very satisfying riddle. Also not a dictionary; it too is sort of similar to a forgotten philosophy in the way it's being used as an answer, and wouldn't explain the last two lines.

Actually, yeah, it sounds like swear words. They've changed in b=meaning, like b***h, which used to mean female dog. And releasing the king's strife, what not, that's what swear words are there for...

Not a profanity. I would consider that to be too close in spirit to the title's exclusion of not being a forgotten philosophy, if profanity is being used as an answer based on the evolution of the meanings of words over time. I tend to make the decoy answer in the title be something that's generally not thought of as simiar to the actual answer in any way, except possibly for the ways that the riddle describes both of them.

Also not a computer virus, although, like "wine", I can see how it would be a good fit. I don't usually think of them as having a latency period between acquisition and activation like the first stanza would be getting at, but undoubtedly some do.

Not a butterfly, as they are born of other butterflies rather than scholars and do not get forsaken (as far as I know). Amonkkilla's guess is a remarkably good fit to this riddle, and one that hadn't crossed my mind while writing it. The stories can definitely be said to have been written by scholars. I didn't realize that killing their head honcho would release the others as well, but my extensive research on the topic just now showed that there was a Simpsons episode where that happened so it must be true. I think I'll count it as an alternate answer.

Christianity! It has taken a backseat to too many other things, these days and a downward spiral is a good description of that...chaos reigning ...plus, according to revelations and other prophetic texts, it will get even worse until the devil comes to rule then falls when Christ returns, making all things new again!

Although Scholars didn't write all the books of the bible, exactly...those who were knowledgeable of the things they wrote about did and others had to translate it into other languages. Also, having been translated and rewritten so many times, and some of the books being cut out, and translated into "modern day language" ...that it has been twisted and its true meaning is no longer clear. All that seems to fit the riddle in my mind. What do you think?

U.S. Constitution or something therein?(This is one of the other things that went through my mind while reading it...our Constitution is a good match for at least some of it if not all! My other one just fit better, I thought...matched more of the verses and fit them better. This was my second choice, though! My third was the Magna Carta! But I am not knowledgeable enough on that subject, myself!!!)

s

Edited by princecharmthings

While things along the lines of the constitution and Christianity and the Dead Sea scrolls are certainly understandable as answers, I'd consider them too close to a "forgotten philosophy" that the title excludes. I generally make the true answer something that is unequivocally very different than the decoy answer in the title that the riddle sounds like at first blush, yet something that's clearly described by the riddle when interpreted in another way. English units of measurement are a little further from that category, but I'm not sure if I'd really say that their time has come and gone and come again.

I'm born of scholars' toil long

Forsaken, no longer germane

My time has come, my time has gone

Anon it is coming again

My words now few will understand

They're twisted obscuring the truth

And so they spread throughout the land

Discernment requiring a sleuth

In downward spiral, chaos calls

Destroying the orderly life

Until the ruler finally falls

Thus bringing and end to this strife

Revolution...social unrest, upheaval, and Revolt!

What do you think?