BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Desktop Mafia

Since Death Note Mafia is not getting many sign-ups, I'm trying a smaller game first. This one has rules a bit more like what people here seem to be used to.

---------------------------------------------------

"You have unused icons on your desktop. The desktop cleanup wizard can help you

clean up your desktop"

It's the message that every desktop icon dreads, because they know that it means the

worst-time to clean up the desktop. Once deleted, these icons are unlikely to see

your background ever again, dooming the programs they represent into obscurity. But

these icons aren't going to the Recycle Bin without a fight. They're taking matters

into their own hands.Get your mouse ready-the war for the desktop is about to begin!

-------------------------------------------------

For those of you who don't know how the game works, let me lay out for you the order

in which things will happen:

-A sign-up period will be held and eventually end when the roster is full. If you

want to un-sign up, you have to post this in the thread. You can't just delete your

sign-up post.

-Roles will be given out via PM, all with special powers that will be explained in

said PM. An explanation for all the roles will also be included further down in this

post.

-Day Phase will be announced and will last about a day. I will ultimately decide when

it ends. During this period, all participants may post in this thread and talk

amongst themselves. Try not to get too crazy. You can vote for who you want to send

to the Recycle Bin or to not send anyone and move on to the Night Phase. Voting and

talking are not mandatory, but are highly suggested. Players who don't really seem to

participate at all are no fun to play with. Ties are broken with Randomizer.

-Night Phase will be announced. This may be extended on occasion, depending on the

circumstances. During this period, players can PM me and use their powers, which will

be elaborated on when I go into the roles. Actions cannot be taken back.

-The Day Phase will begin again when the time comes. I will reveal who has been

deleted, but not who was responsible. If a player was chosen to be deleted but was

spared for some reason, I will not reveal this.

-The game will continue until victory is reached. How each role/group wins

varies, so I will go more into this in the character roles.

Roles:

Internet Explorer(Browser Program)

Powers-Each Night, check out the history of another player to learn who they actioned

on that turn.

Win Conditions-Eliminate Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mozilla Firefox(Browser Program)

Powers-Each Night, look up another player to learn which type of program they are.

Win Conditions-Eliminate Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.

Google Chrome(Browser Program)

Powers-Each Night, research another player to learn their role.

Win Conditions-Eliminate Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Yahoo! Messenger(Instant Messenger Program)

Powers-Each Night, choose another player to be informed of your role.

Win Conditions-Eliminate AIM and MSN Messenger.

AIM(Instant Messenger Program)

Powers-At the beginning of the game, choose a player and be able to communicate

freely with them over PM during the whole game. Upon their death, another player can

be chosen.

Win Conditions-Eliminate Yahoo! Messenger and MSN Messenger.

MSN Messenger(Instant Messenger Program)

Powers-Each Day, double or negate the vote of one player for that turn only.

Win Conditions-Eliminate Yahoo! Messenger and AIM.

Norton(Anti-Virus Program)

Powers-Each Night, choose a player to protect. This player will be immune to all

actions against them, except those of IM Programs.

Win Conditions-End the game with all System Programs safe.

Malwarebytes(Anti-Virus Program)

Powers-Each Night, choose a player to scan in order to learn what type of program

they are.

Win Conditions-Eliminate all IM Programs.

McAfee(Anti-Virus Program)

Powers-Each Night, choose a player to block until the following turn.

Win Conditions-Eliminate all Browser Programs.

Windows Movie Maker(Editing Program)

Powers-Each Night, choose a player to make their program crash. That player will not

be able to act or vote that Night or the following Day. Unfortunately, whenever this

ability is used, the user crashes also and suffers the same restrictions.

Win Conditions-End the game intact.

Adobe Photoshop(Editing Program)

Powers-Each Night, choose another player to copy their role. You must choose the

player you want to target with their role that same Night, but you won't learn what

role you copied.

Microsoft Word(Editing Program)

Powers-Every other Night, can paste actions directed at him onto other players.

Notes-If killed, has a 25% chance of being restored every turn afterwards.

Task Manager(System Program)

Powers-Every Night, choose a player to delete. This ability passes onto another

System Program if Task Manage is deleted.

Win Conditions-Make it so there is only of each type of program(Browser, Anti-Virus,

IM, Editing) left.

Notes-If killed, has a 25% chance of taking their killer with them. During the Day,

this can mean the last person to vote for them or someone who may have manipulated

the vote.

System Restore(System Program)

Powers-Every other Night, can choose a deleted program to try and restore. There is

only a 25% chance of success.

Win Conditions-Make it so there is only of each type of program(Browser, Anti-Virus,

IM, Editing) left.

Notes-If killed, has a 25% chance of taking their killer with them. During the Day,

this can mean the last person to vote for them or someone who may have manipulated

the vote.

Device Manager(System Program)

Powers-Every Night, choose a player to scan and learn which player actioned on them

last. Can be used regardless of whether or not the program was deleted. The Night

Deletion cannot be detected and will be passed over for the action before it.

IM, Editing) left.

the vote.

Rules:

-After sign-ups end and the game starts, do not post in the game thread if you are

not part of the game. If you have any questions or something relating to the round

or your role, PM me.

-Please don't cheat. No game-breaking. If you are caught breaking rules, you're out

and will be barred from future games.

-Read these posts VERY carefully and follow the instructions.

-In your PMs, clearly state who you want to target.

-The two phases begin and end when I say. Sometimes, a phase will end sooner, if all

actions have been completed or something like that. Once all actions have been

submitted, the Night Phase will end. I will try to give you a rough time as to when

the phase will end, if I can. Day Phase will never be longer than 24 hours, and

Night Phase will usually be shorter.

-Any game questions, even from participants, must be PMed to me. Like, if you don't

understand your role. Do not ask questions that can damage gameplay in the thread.

-It's recommended that all participants keep an eye on the top of the page, to see

if they have new messages.

-Once you're a Ghost, you can still post, but you can't give any hints if you know

someone's identity, nor can you vote. Don't even pretend-vote, because with so many

players, it's easy for me to mistakenly count a vote from a dead player.

-Do not sign up if you think you can't post regularily. If there are any issues that

will prevent you from posting, contact me, and I'll see what I can do. Also, remember

that people are human. I need to sleep too, so I may on occassion end/start the phases

a little earlier or later than originally stated.

-You can't take back which power you decided to use or who you decided to use it on.

-Action PMs players send me during the wrong phase will usually be considered null,

unless there is a specific reason the PM was sent at that time. This cannot happen on

a regular basis.

-Please try and participate. You don't technically have to speak up during the

Daytime Phases, but it's good for the game. The same goes for those of you that have

special powers. The game can't continue during a Night Phase until you've all contacted

me. If there is a reason why you can't contact me during the Night Phase, explain and

PM me your choice and action during the Day Phase.

-Players are not allowed to PM one another unless specified otherwise.

-Read through the game thread carefully once the game begins. It's good to know

what's going on.

-People new to this kind of game, please know that you shouldn't generally reveal who

you are. I'm just worried I'll pass out the roles and people will complain and reveal

who they got. You CAN say who you are, but it's wise to only do that as a form of

strategy.

-If you fail after an extended period of time to contact me with a name or an action

at Night, then you may not get a chance to do anything at all.

-This is a fast-paced game and participation is a must. Please do not sign up if you

will not be readily available to play. Players are expected to join in the Daytime

Phase discussions, vote when people are accused, and PM me promptly if they have

special powers to use.

-I don't want people dropping out mid-game or asking to be replaced.

Current Participants

Player 1-

Player 2-

Player 3-

Player 4-

Player 5-

Player 6-

Player 7-

Player 8-

Player 9-

Player 10-

Player 11-

Player 12-

Player 13-

Player 14-

Player 15-

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who don't know how the game works, let me lay out for you the order

in which things will happen:

-A sign-up period will be held and eventually end when the roster is full. If you

want to un-sign up, you have to post this in the thread. You can't just delete your

sign-up post.

So repost the roster with ourselves removed and stating that we are no longer playing?

-Roles will be given out via PM, all with special powers that will be explained in

said PM. An explanation for all the roles will also be included further down in this

post.

-Day Phase will be announced and will last about a day. I will ultimately decide when

it ends. During this period, all participants may post in this thread and talk

amongst themselves. Try not to get too crazy. You can vote for who you want to send

to the Recycle Bin or to not send anyone and move on to the Night Phase. Voting and

talking are not mandatory, but are highly suggested. Players who don't really seem to

participate at all are no fun to play with. Ties are broken with Randomizer.

You state that the maximum length of Day is 24 hours; what is the minimum length? Are vote changes permitted? Are there any limits on this?

-Night Phase will be announced. This may be extended on occasion, depending on the

circumstances. During this period, players can PM me and use their powers, which will

be elaborated on when I go into the roles. Actions cannot be taken back.

-The Day Phase will begin again when the time comes. I will reveal who has been

deleted, but not who was responsible. If a player was chosen to be deleted but was

spared for some reason, I will not reveal this.

So the only thing that will be in the night post will be that player XYZ was deleted, without stating by whom? No other actions will be shown? Will players be informed of the success of *their own* action via PM?

-The game will continue until victory is reached. How each role/group wins

varies, so I will go more into this in the character roles.

Rules:

-After sign-ups end and the game starts, do not post in the game thread if you are

not part of the game. If you have any questions or something relating to the round

or your role, PM me.

-Please don't cheat. No game-breaking. If you are caught breaking rules, you're out

and will be barred from future games.

Does the definition of cheating vary from that stated in the Newbie Guide to Mafia in any way? If so, how? (just as a double-check)

-Read these posts VERY carefully and follow the instructions.

-In your PMs, clearly state who you want to target.

-The two phases begin and end when I say. Sometimes, a phase will end sooner, if all

actions have been completed or something like that. Once all actions have been

submitted, the Night Phase will end. I will try to give you a rough time as to when

the phase will end, if I can. Day Phase will never be longer than 24 hours, and

Night Phase will usually be shorter.

So at the end of one cycle a preliminary end time for the next will be given, but is subject to change? Is that an accurate understanding?

-Any game questions, even from participants, must be PMed to me. Like, if you don't

understand your role. Do not ask questions that can damage gameplay in the thread.

So we are not allowed to ask questions to the host in the game thread once the game starts? Not even as a strategy choice (b/c some of us have asked publicly vs. privately as a strategic move)?

-It's recommended that all participants keep an eye on the top of the page, to see

if they have new messages.

-Once you're a Ghost, you can still post, but you can't give any hints if you know

someone's identity, nor can you vote. Don't even pretend-vote, because with so many

players, it's easy for me to mistakenly count a vote from a dead player.

-Do not sign up if you think you can't post regularily. If there are any issues that

will prevent you from posting, contact me, and I'll see what I can do. Also, remember

that people are human. I need to sleep too, so I may on occassion end/start the phases

a little earlier or later than originally stated.

-You can't take back which power you decided to use or who you decided to use it on.

So we cannot send in a preliminary action, just to make sure that we've done *something* and then change that action later?

-Action PMs players send me during the wrong phase will usually be considered null,

unless there is a specific reason the PM was sent at that time. This cannot happen on

a regular basis.

-Please try and participate. You don't technically have to speak up during the

Daytime Phases, but it's good for the game. The same goes for those of you that have

special powers. The game can't continue during a Night Phase until you've all contacted

me. If there is a reason why you can't contact me during the Night Phase, explain and

PM me your choice and action during the Day Phase.

-Players are not allowed to PM one another unless specified otherwise.

So this one follows Den-standard rules on BTSC? (clarifying since in Death Note you considered not having that rule explicitly stated as meaning any and all BTSC was allowed)

-Read through the game thread carefully once the game begins. It's good to know

what's going on.

-People new to this kind of game, please know that you shouldn't generally reveal who

you are. I'm just worried I'll pass out the roles and people will complain and reveal

who they got. You CAN say who you are, but it's wise to only do that as a form of

strategy.

-If you fail after an extended period of time to contact me with a name or an action

at Night, then you may not get a chance to do anything at all.

How long is an extended period of time? Are players required to use their power each night?

-This is a fast-paced game and participation is a must. Please do not sign up if you

will not be readily available to play. Players are expected to join in the Daytime

Phase discussions, vote when people are accused, and PM me promptly if they have

special powers to use.

-I don't want people dropping out mid-game or asking to be replaced.

A lot of us are in school and things come up that we aren't expecting. If such things come up and we truly cannot afford the time to play, what would you like us to do, since you've said you don't want players dropping out midgame?

I know you complained about people asking questions and not signing up, but I think we all wanted to know the answers to their questions as considerations affecting their choice to sign up. This is definitely the case with me and these questions.

If you have questions, PLEASE do not quote the whole post. It is a pain to read and takes up a lot of space. I'd appreciate if if you could cut the post down a bit by removing the unnecessary parts of the quote.

The template used for the rules and guideliens was created for a different forum, but that's basically it. Repost the roster with yourself removed and state that you are doing so.

There is no minimum for the length of Day Phases. In this game, you can change your vote freely before the Day Phase ends.

I will do my best to give Phase end times, but these will not change. Even if I am not around to call an actual end to the Phase myself.

Actions cannot be changed, so be sure you know what you want to do before you send yours in.

The rules flat-out say you cannot PM, unless your role has some kind of exception.

Players are generally required, but this is mostly for the "Night Kill". An extended amount of time basically just refers to holding up the game because you haven't acted yet.

I really don't want anyone dropping out. Why sign up if you don't think you'll be able to play?

If you have questions, PLEASE do not quote the whole post. It is a pain to read and takes up a lot of space. I'd appreciate if if you could cut the post down a bit by removing the unnecessary parts of the quote.

The template used for the rules and guideliens was created for a different forum, but that's basically it. Repost the roster with yourself removed and state that you are doing so.

There is no minimum for the length of Day Phases. In this game, you can change your vote freely before the Day Phase ends.

So if 8 people were on right when night ended and all voted for the same person, the Day could theoretically end 10 minutes after the previous night? That sort of thing, based on your prior statement (in Death Note, but not contradicted here) that all it takes to end the day is a majority on one target action, would *appear* to be allowed.

I will do my best to give Phase end times, but these will not change. Even if I am not around to call an actual end to the Phase myself.

So if an end time is stated at the start of the phase, that is set in stone, regardless of either all actions being in/conditions to end the phase being met early, or conditions not being met at the original end time?

Actions cannot be changed, so be sure you know what you want to do before you send yours in.

The rules flat-out say you cannot PM, unless your role has some kind of exception.

Players are generally required, but this is mostly for the "Night Kill". An extended amount of time basically just refers to holding up the game because you haven't acted yet.

That still strikes me as a somewhat subjective definition. I was hoping for an approximate time limit before it gets to what you would consider "holding up the game"

I really don't want anyone dropping out. Why sign up if you don't think you'll be able to play?

I'm talking about *unanticipated* circumstances--i.e. expecting you'll have plenty of time, and then all of a sudden all 4 of your teachers slam you with huge projects due in the next week. What do we do if something like that happens?

I politely asked your to stop doing that, but you did it again anyway.-.-

A Day Phase would never end in eight minutes, and I have no idea where you're getting that. Unlike in Death Note Mafia, voting majority does not end the Day Phase in this game. I'm pretty sure I deleted everything that sais that.

If I set an end time, the end time is set in stone.

I don't think this game would take up so much of your time that you'd be unable to handle stuff offline.

Actually, Sak, [and I don't mean to be rude here] a lot of times, depending on the players playing in the mafia, they can take up a lot of time. And this mafia especially, as it looks almost as a 1(individual) vs. 1 vs. 1 within a 3(faction) vs. 3 vs. 3 vs. 3 vs. 3. And that could ge complicated. Also, I know that my teachers assign craploads of homework that takes 6 or seven hours to finish with about a 15 minute break for dinner, so I totally get Thalia's concern about unanticipated things popping up. Also, what is there's a family emergency or something? Like, if a really close member of your family requires you to be with them for some reason or another, and you get not time to play? Thalia and I are just worrying about unanticipated restrictions IRL.

Again, I realize this post can come off as rude, but I don't intend it that way.

I politely asked your to stop doing that, but you did it again anyway.-.-

1. the first time, I didn't. I kept only the relevant sections. 2. the second time, I responded to nearly all of it, and it wasn't long at all.

A Day Phase would never end in eight minutes, and I have no idea where you're getting that. Unlike in Death Note Mafia, voting majority does not end the Day Phase in this game. I'm pretty sure I deleted everything that sais that.

1. if majority ends the day phase, it conceivably could. *nearly* impossible, but if all it takes is majority, then yes, possible. 2. You did not say either way in this game, hence I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that the rules would be similar to the previous.

If I set an end time, the end time is set in stone.

Again, double-checking, because of the insistence on all night-actions getting in.

I don't think this game would take up so much of your time that you'd be unable to handle stuff offline.

My concern here is more the other way around, that offline stuff would take so long that I couldn't afford the time to check the game. That would be the way prioritization would tend to go....

There were many parts in there that are not at all relevant to the questions you are asking.

I stated that this game would be different from Death Note Mafia and more like the versions of Mafia played here. The parts about majority were all removed.

Again, I really think that the game will not take up much time.

I really hope people will start signing up. Right now, it's just MissKitten again.>_>

Well, thank you for answering my questions, but I'm afraid that I do not at this point want to play a game with your restrictions/alterations. I'm sorry, and if I could be sure that I was sufficiently free for 2 weeks after my signing up (assuming I was towards the end of signups), then I would. But not at this point.

They're probably waiting for the next TMM. After all, it's a TMM, or Trainer's Manual Mafia, designed to helps players ease into the world of mafia instead of plunging in head first. I think that maybe after a couple more TMMs, a lot of the players will have graduated to the bigger, bolder world of mafia. But maybe put this in your sig? I would do it myself, but A) I really like my quotes and B) As the host, it's kinda your responsibility to advertise your mafia, not your players'.

Why not? Just click "Edit Profile" then, on the right, go to "Edit My Signature". And it's your mafia. If other players have more pull than you, then that's a reflection on your image here on BD. If people aren't going to click on a link in your sig, they're probably not gonna play in your mafia.

I can't edit my sig, just like I can't edit my posts, and I can't see the forum buttons.-.- And I'm still new, and some of the better-known members have been harassing me, so of course I don't have much pull here.

I'm only playing TMM because they are a lot lighter than what yours is going to be like (especially with everyone basically going against most everyone else and allying with people would be difficult since no one wants to reveal who they are). It's too much for my schedule this quarter :/ Sorry

Sakura- While it is true that this Mafia is smaller than Death Note, it is still a bit on the large size. As MiKi and Shadow mentioned, a lot of us have school taking up a large part of our day. I have played in a Mafia where I went to bed and woke up to 200+ notifications for the game. By the time I got through those, there were another 60 or 70 waiting. As I'm sure you can imagine, it took quite a while to read through it all (especially when Curr3nt and Araver are making their posts whose lengths sometimes make me want to jump out the window). That was in the summer. Now I have a conveniently located window that is sufficiently high off the ground to jump out of. I think your game sounds interesting and I might put it in my signature but it might help if you made it a smaller game.

This is getting ridiculous.>_> My Mafia is perfectly small-there are only fifteen players. It seems like everyone is making excuses not to play, even though it's not that different than every other Mafia played here. I suspect that this game will also never end up being played, and I don't think that's right. I'm getting really sick of this treatment.

Sak-C. No one is making excuses. Look at CoR....its been in sign up phase for what..the last 1-2 months(possibly more than that). Its a big mafia like yours....Most of the people who said they cant sign up for your mafia havent signed up for CoR too...

Your mafia sounds interesting. I would like to take part if you remove the restriction that we cant backout between the game....I'm sure we'll get backups. And this way, if there is more flexibilty....more people would want to join in.

Sak, there aren't really a whole lot of mafias out there. There is the TMM, which only noobs are signing up for, so they obviously won't play yours. There's CoR, as mentioned, which has been in signup since the summer, I think. There's Death Note Mafia, which, again, doesn't have a lot of signups. There's Klue's Mafia, which I won't do since I checked out coozle.com, and was totally puzzled, and his mafia seems to based on that. Are there any others I'm missing?

So it's not just your mafia, it's all the ones out there.

Edited by MissKitten