BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

mewminator

Question

22 answers to this question

But I agree with your assessment for the answer to the particular problem posted in this thread.

I'd actually be willing to argue that the answer truly is

Edited by maurice

0.2 cigarettes is not A CIGARETTE it is A PART of a cigarette

Right, but if you asked me how many hours it takes me to drive to Chicago, I'd say 1.5. I can't make it in an hour (actually......) and two hours could get me halfway across Lake Michigan (not really). It would still be 1.5, regardless of whether the .5 isn't a full hour.

For all those who decided to complicate things I specifically said "How many cigarettes can he make from 25 cigarette butts?" therefore e did not make (as in craft it or stick it or...etc) the remaining 0.2 was not made by him it was a full cigarette smoked to the remains and note to other replies he will not smoke 0.2 of a cigarette the fore it will remain in his inventory for the next ones he finds. For the programmers or people who know something about computers this is called an integer function which is ignoring decimals do that if you will

Right, but if you asked me how many hours it takes me to drive to Chicago, I'd say 1.5. I can't make it in an hour (actually......) and two hours could get me halfway across Lake Michigan (not really). It would still be 1.5, regardless of whether the .5 isn't a full hour.

I asked how many cigarettes he will make and he cannot make any cigarettes without 5 cigarette butts

and he did not make that 0.2

so wait...if there were 5 poor smokers then they couldn't make an extra one? Because they couldn't put together their .2's to get 1? If that's the case then ok...point taken.

BTW, was my answer correct?

Edited by maurice

I asked how many cigarettes he will make and he cannot make any cigarettes without 5 cigarette butts

but he's 2/10 the way towards making another one...that has to count for something...right?

This is true. But you asked a question that's been asked before on this site (please look up puzzles using search bar) and we solved it, so we decided to take it one step further. U mad?

i love how people here take an old riddle and take it to another level like that... makes it feel new :P^_^

BTW, was my answer correct?

and yes maurice well done you were right from the very beginning, its original answer is 6 ever since the riddle was made God knows how many years ago :D

Edited by guppy

If the person is an ETPS (extremely tenacious poor smoker) and does not mind working to get infinitesimal fractions of a cigarette then the answer truly is

which is sum of the infinite series :

5 + .2*5 + .2^2 *5 + 2^3*5 + 2^4*5 + ......