BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Rules

-After sign-ups end and the game starts, do not post in the game thread if you are not part of the game. If you have any questions or something relating to the round or your role, PM me.

-Please don't cheat. Follow your character's guidelines. If you are caught breaking rules, you're out and will be barred from future games.

-The two phases begin and end when I say. Sometimes, a phase will end sooner, if all actions have been completed or something like that. For example, if everyone votes to go to sleep, the Daytime Phase will immediately end. If no further action can be taken during the day, it will end. Once all special characters have PMed me their choices, the Night Phase will end. I will try to give you a rought time as to when the phase will end, if I can.

-Any game questions, even from participants, must be PMed to me. Like, if you don't understand your role. Do not ask questions that can damage gameplay in the thread.

-If you are a special character who can act, PM me during the Night Phase.

-It's recommended that all participants keep an eye on the top of the page, to see if they have new messages.

-Once you're dead, you can still post, but you can't give any hints if you know someone's identity, nor can you vote. Don't even pretend-vote, because with so many players, it's easy for me to mistakenly count a vote from a dead player.

-Do not sign up if you think you can't post regularily. If there are any issues that will prevent you from posting, contact me, and I'll see what I can do. Also, remember that people are human. I need to sleep too, so I may on occassion end/start the phases a little earlier or later than originally stated.

-You can't take back which power you decided to use or who you decided to use it on.

-PMs special characters send me during the Daytime Phases will usually be considered null, unless there is a specific reason the PM was sent at that time. This cannot happen on a regular basis.

-Please try and participate. You don't technically have to speak up during the Daytime Phases, but it's good for the game. The same goes for those of you that have special powers. The game can't continue during a Night Phase until you've all contacted me. In the case of special powers, attempting to cheat by repeatedly being absent in an effort not to have to choose anyone will result in removal from the game. If there is a reason why you can't contact me during the Night Phase, explain and PM me your choice and action during the Day Phase.

-Read through the game thread carefully once the game begins. It's good to know what's going on.

-People new to this kind of game, please know that you shouldn't generally reveal who you are. I'm just worried I'll pass out the roles and people will complain and reveal who they got. You CAN say who you are, but it's wise to only do that as a form of strategy.

-Due to some participation problems, most special characters will have understudies in the form of another character. If they fail after an extended period of time to contact me with a name or an action, then I will PM their understudy. The understudies will not know who the username of the person they make choices for, and in the cases of stuff like investigations, it will still be the original person who gets the information. L's understudy will be Near or Watari(if Near is dead), Near's understudy will be Watari and vice-versa, Wedy's understudy will be Watari, Jealous' understudy will be Rem, and Mello's understudy will be Matt and vice-versa. Since there is usually more than one Kira, they will not really need understudies. If it comes down to one Kira who is not present, Rem will be the understudy. Due to the nature of their powers, Rem, Shidoh, and Kiyome will not have understudies, and understudies will not know if their partner possesses the Eyes or a Death Note.

-If a Majority is reached, voting is frozen.

-This is a fast-paced game and participation is a must. Please do not sign up if you will not be readily available to play. Players are expected to join in the Daytime Phase discussions, vote when people are accused, and PM me promptly if they have special powers to use. If you keep people waiting, understudies might be contacted, or you might even be removed from the game, if it gets bad enough. I don't want to have people dropping out mid-game or asking to be replaced.

• Answers 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

From what I gather, dead people's roles are revealed, and everything goes through. I think this is more of an each-person-for-themselves type mafia.

Also, MoMa and Klue: Let's give this a chance, yeah? I haven't played any mafias different from the BD style, so I'm eager to try this. And if you guys are worried because this isn't familiar, it'll make the most sense if you actually do it, right? Besides, I think we got off on the wrong foot with Sakura, and I, for one, am willing to give her another chance. So what say you put your names on the roster and try this out? [Wow.... I sound like I'm some grade school counselor or something....]

Oh, I'm very familiar with how this game goes. I host it live quite a bit. It works well live (much better than Den Style, unless you have a whiteboard), but I have no interest in playing it in a forum environment. The rules work well live (to keep the game moving during day phases), but you'll see what I mean after you play. There doesn't have to be 20 players, either. It can be cut down to 8 if absolutely necessary.

And I think the basic template is somewhere along the lines of [and correct me if I'm wrong]: RID Kill>Redirect>Block>Save>Kill>Spy.

It depends on the host, but that's the beauty of OOA. It changes the entire way a game is played.

But there's no OOA in this game, as Sak pointed out about three times now.... =P

There's also no oxygen in the air I breathe, since I can't see it.

Edited by Molly Mae

Look, stop it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again-just don't talk to me, since you can't be civil. You're not the host, I am. I've run this game many times before, and I've played it live as well. It has gone just fine. If problems arise, they can't be looked at afterwards.

It has gone just fine. If problems arise, they can't be looked at afterwards.

I think you mean "can" there. However, without any disclosed order it will be completely up to you as to how you apply the actions. This may interfere with people's planning process as they'll have to make certain assumption about the OOA which may or may not be right.

That's what Molly's trying to point out using all means (from civil question to sarcasm) but you are choosing to ignore it repeatedly.

I know what I'm doing, and I'm pretty sure most people have common sense and can read the posts. It's pretty clear.

This post is intended to be civil (seriously). I'm not bashing you or anything. I'm very critical when it comes to game threads being posted.

The OOA isn't for the host. The players can read the post and understand what happened--I agree. But the OOA is there to bridge the logic behind the post to the actions that were submitted.

I think the misunderstanding lies here. There is an OOA as long as there are multiple actions that change other actions, even if the OOA is not posted. You, however, are not obligated to post an OOA--I'll give you that. So withholding an OOA I can understand if not condone. But I can't understand denying that an OOA exists. I think that's where we are misunderstanding each other.

I'm keeping this on-topic and I am trying to get this game moving along. I'm not trying to sabotage it. I'm not attacking you. I just want the rules (as players of Den Mafia understand) to be clear between them and the host.

:o

I never said any such thing regarding harassing you. It was an inside joke...unless you think I actually can lynch the host...by the way this isn't your game...it belongs to YamiChan so :P

You both need to stop, or I'm reporting you. For the record, Death Note Mafia was made by an unknown person. It was modelled after the party game Mafia and is played in real life with cards. Maybe people have made online versions based around it. And yes, I got this one from YamiChan, with her permission. I don't appreciate your "subtle" accusation of theft. Both you and Molly need to stop posting in this topic. You're turning it into something ugly.

This post is intended to be civil (seriously). I'm not bashing you or anything. I'm very critical when it comes to game threads being posted.

The OOA isn't for the host. The players can read the post and understand what happened--I agree. But the OOA is there to bridge the logic behind the post to the actions that were submitted.

I think the misunderstanding lies here. There is an OOA as long as there are multiple actions that change other actions, even if the OOA is not posted. You, however, are not obligated to post an OOA--I'll give you that. So withholding an OOA I can understand if not condone. But I can't understand denying that an OOA exists. I think that's where we are misunderstanding each other.

I'm keeping this on-topic and I am trying to get this game moving along. I'm not trying to sabotage it. I'm not attacking you. I just want the rules (as players of Den Mafia understand) to be clear between them and the host.

Seriously. This above post is not an attack. If you have problems with questions about the game, please consult a moderator.

All of my posts in this thread have been on-topic. Please stop attacking me and accusing me of things just because I'm Molly.

Edited by Molly Mae

You're not being funny. Just stop. The fact that you are saying these things and that quote in your sig betray your true intentions. Stop.

My signature is not a part of this discussion and never tell me what my intentions are.

I don't like you, yes. That's true. But I'm not going to sabotage your game because of that. While I'm trying to honestly get answers about the mechanics of the game (for the sake of those who play it), you dodge and just say "it works, stop attacking me, you're being mean and uncivil."

Seriously. As a host, answer the questions that the players have. That's all I'm asking.

Okay, honestly, Sak, I was willing to give you a chance, but this isn't working. Molly and Mo were being perfectly civil and honest. It's not their fault that you're not willing to accept constructive criticism. And the things you're saying to them: that's just how they are! The quote in Molly's sig is actually kinda funny. Not in context, obviously, but if you read just the quote in his sig, it's hilarious. All we're trying to do is make the game a better experience for all involved. It's not gonna be a fun game if players are complaining about the host. And the way you're acting, there are definitely gonna be complaints. So the way I see it, there are two options:

A) Put aside your pride and listen to what we have to say

B) Just drop the game

The choice is yours.

Molly and Maurice need to get out of my topic, like I've asked them several times. Molly has even been asked to not even speak to me, since she can't be civil. I am perfectly willing to listen to constructive criticism, but not bullies. That quote is not funny to me, and it's just another of her digs at me. I am not dropping my game. I know it will never get enough players with this hate campaign against me, and those two have done a good job chasing people away like they planned, no doubt. All I wanted was to host my game in peace. Now I'm being harassed from all sides and have to deal with their veiled insults and accusations. Stay out of this topic and don't post if you can't be civil.

No one is getting anywhere this way so let's try a different way. Sakura, in the event that 1 action affects or prevents another action, who's action would go through? You mentioned that saves come before kills so. . .

Jealous's save

Rem's save (if he uses it)

The Kiras' kill

Kyome's kill

Mello's kill

Shidoh's kill

Rem's kill (if he uses it)

spies and Matt's wiretap

Saves prevent kills

Kills prevent spies/ Matt's wiretap

Let's say that all the roles who have kills tried to kill each other. For example, let's say that each role with a kill on the list above wanted to kill the role below them. (The Kiras want to kill Kyome, Kyome wants to kill Mellow, etc.) Who lives and who dies?

@SC - 20 players really is a lot. As you noticed, I had trouble keeping up a 9 player game even though I had order of actions and all that stuff (I messed up the night post). You need to have an organised way of recording the actions so you don't get confused or get stuck in some sort of loop. The problem with running large mafias is that it really gets confusing for the participants as well. Time zones make it almost impossible for players to synchronize unless there is some sort of system. A lot of things can happen for 15 hours and it can be so really hard to keep up even in a small mafia.

Also if you just want to host a normal mafia try TMM.

Ok, enough is enough. Going by the rule that mod's indecision is final:

1. Molly and Mo, you are not allowed in this thread and any other thread related to this game (in short you are not allowed to play this game, so why bother raising the questions anyway?)

2. MiKi and Thalia you are just repeating what everyone else has already said, hence it is advisable that you two just play the game when it is posted, and right now do not try to correct the mod.

3. I find the game fairly simple but highly subjective when it comes to rules. Also, the game balance cannot be assessed with so much uncertainty around the OOA. I find it difficult to believe that this game has no OOA, and I refuse to play a large game that has no OOA. So, I shall excuse myself from this one.

4. Re-read the above 3, as long as you are thinking that I'm not serious about them.

Like I said, I've run this game before, and things have gone pretty well. I still suggest you give it a try before you criticize.

Thalia, it's like I've been saying-it's all already in the first few posts. Any special differences are noted there. If Mello kills Kiyome and she kill hims the same Night, then both die, unless a save or block interferes.

Wouldn't preventing maurice or Molly from playing set a precedent?

Other hosts would then have a basis for preventing other people from playing in their games.

So... Can the host prevent individuals from playing in their game? If so is there criteria involved or is it by the host's whim?

---

If maurice and Molly are allowed to sign up and play a game played in this forum then they should be allowed to ask game related questions to assist in deciding if they wish to play.

Thalia, it's like I've been saying-it's all already in the first few posts.  Any special differences are noted there.  If Mello kills Kiyome and she kill hims the same Night, then both die, unless a save or block interferes.
OK. Thanks. Guess I missed that part. So, a block will prevent a save or kill and a save will prevent a kill. All kills go through as long as the role was alive at the beginning of the night unless they were blocked or saved. Is that right? Edited by Thalia

That's right, Thalia. Will you sign up?

curr3nt, I'm pretty sure that hosts CAN stop certain people from participating in their games. Right after I joined, someone from MM went around trying to force people into barring me from their games. I'm not a fan of it. I'd like to let maurice and Molly play, espeially since we only have one person signed up, but what can I do? Both have proven they can't be civil towards me, and I don't want them trying to break my game. Molly already broke another game I participated in, and unlike some hosts, I don't take behavior like that lightly.

Nobody tried to force anyone into barring you from any games Sak-C. Nobody has barred you from any games.

But it is good to see your opinion on such matters.

I do also believe you need to refine your definition of civility. I have tried repeatedly to bring you into the fold, and I know for a fact that Molly stuck his neck out for you as well. But very well. After re-reading the OP and seeing how much this varies from Den Style I doubt I have an interest in this game (also, I am not a fan of manga/anime, but I know I'm in the minority there).

The reason that OOA/OOP matters not is because nothing will be posted in the night posts. You simply find out who died and what the roster is. Nothing to deduce from there.