BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Rules

-After sign-ups end and the game starts, do not post in the game thread if you are not part of the game. If you have any questions or something relating to the round or your role, PM me.

-Please don't cheat. Follow your character's guidelines. If you are caught breaking rules, you're out and will be barred from future games.

-The two phases begin and end when I say. Sometimes, a phase will end sooner, if all actions have been completed or something like that. For example, if everyone votes to go to sleep, the Daytime Phase will immediately end. If no further action can be taken during the day, it will end. Once all special characters have PMed me their choices, the Night Phase will end. I will try to give you a rought time as to when the phase will end, if I can.

-Any game questions, even from participants, must be PMed to me. Like, if you don't understand your role. Do not ask questions that can damage gameplay in the thread.

-If you are a special character who can act, PM me during the Night Phase.

-It's recommended that all participants keep an eye on the top of the page, to see if they have new messages.

-Once you're dead, you can still post, but you can't give any hints if you know someone's identity, nor can you vote. Don't even pretend-vote, because with so many players, it's easy for me to mistakenly count a vote from a dead player.

-Do not sign up if you think you can't post regularily. If there are any issues that will prevent you from posting, contact me, and I'll see what I can do. Also, remember that people are human. I need to sleep too, so I may on occassion end/start the phases a little earlier or later than originally stated.

-You can't take back which power you decided to use or who you decided to use it on.

-PMs special characters send me during the Daytime Phases will usually be considered null, unless there is a specific reason the PM was sent at that time. This cannot happen on a regular basis.

-Please try and participate. You don't technically have to speak up during the Daytime Phases, but it's good for the game. The same goes for those of you that have special powers. The game can't continue during a Night Phase until you've all contacted me. In the case of special powers, attempting to cheat by repeatedly being absent in an effort not to have to choose anyone will result in removal from the game. If there is a reason why you can't contact me during the Night Phase, explain and PM me your choice and action during the Day Phase.

-Read through the game thread carefully once the game begins. It's good to know what's going on.

-People new to this kind of game, please know that you shouldn't generally reveal who you are. I'm just worried I'll pass out the roles and people will complain and reveal who they got. You CAN say who you are, but it's wise to only do that as a form of strategy.

-Due to some participation problems, most special characters will have understudies in the form of another character. If they fail after an extended period of time to contact me with a name or an action, then I will PM their understudy. The understudies will not know who the username of the person they make choices for, and in the cases of stuff like investigations, it will still be the original person who gets the information. L's understudy will be Near or Watari(if Near is dead), Near's understudy will be Watari and vice-versa, Wedy's understudy will be Watari, Jealous' understudy will be Rem, and Mello's understudy will be Matt and vice-versa. Since there is usually more than one Kira, they will not really need understudies. If it comes down to one Kira who is not present, Rem will be the understudy. Due to the nature of their powers, Rem, Shidoh, and Kiyome will not have understudies, and understudies will not know if their partner possesses the Eyes or a Death Note.

-If a Majority is reached, voting is frozen.

-This is a fast-paced game and participation is a must. Please do not sign up if you will not be readily available to play. Players are expected to join in the Daytime Phase discussions, vote when people are accused, and PM me promptly if they have special powers to use. If you keep people waiting, understudies might be contacted, or you might even be removed from the game, if it gets bad enough. I don't want to have people dropping out mid-game or asking to be replaced.

• Answers 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

How the Game Generally plays out

-First, a sign-up period will be held for the round in question. It can take a while to get enough players to play, as we usually need at least fifteen or seventeen. If you sign up, PLEASE do not just disappear. It may take a while, but the game will eventually start. If you change your mind about playing, you must post that you want to un-sign up, though doing so is strongly discouraged. Sign ups will end when we have enough players.

-Roles will be given out via PM, some with special powers that will be explained in said PM. An explanation for all the roles will also be included further down in this thread, but keep in mind that not all those characters will neccessarily appear in each game. There will always be at least one Kira and an L, as well as a few Investigators. Other special characters and additional Kiras will be added or subtracted depending on the number of people who sign up.

-I will announce the start of the game.

-Day Phase will be announced and will last about a day or until the voting reaches majority. I will ultimately decide when it ends. During this period, all participants may post in this thread and talk amongst themselves. Try not to get too crazy. You can vote for who you want to kill or to go to sleep and move on to the Night Phase. Voting and talking are not mandatory, but are strongly suggested. Players who don't really seem to participate at all are no fun to play with. Only one person can be killed during this phase. When a person is killed, their identity will be revealed. In the case of a tie, Randomizer will decide what happens.

-Night Phase will be announced once the Daytime Phase ends. This may be extended on occasion, depending on the circumstances. During this period, most special characters must PM me and use their powers, which will be elaborated on when I go into character roles. If a long time passes, and I have not heard from a certain individual, their understudy will be contacted. The understudies will also be explained further down.

-The Day Phase will begin again when the time comes. I will reveal who has been killed, but not who killed them. Their identities will also be revealed, and an updated player list will be posted. If a person was chosen to be killed but was spared for some reason, I will not reveal this.

-The game will continue until victory is reached. How each character/group wins varies, so I will go more into this in the character roles section.

Characters

Investigators(Chief Yagami, Matsuda, Mogi, Aizawa, Ukita, Raye, Naomi)-The non-special characters, they are the good guys who want to catch Kira. Though special characters, L, Watari, and Near are also considered part of this group. Mello is not officially considered an Investigator, but he can choose to side with them.

Win Conditions: In order for the Investigators to win, they must kill all the Kiras.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Kiras(Light, Misa, and Mikami)-The three Death Note users, they are the only players who will know eachother's identities. Mello is not officially considered a Kira, but he can choose to side with them.

Power-Each night, they must talk amongst themselves over PM and agree on someone to kill, then PM their choice to me. All Kiras must PM me this choice, so I know they've reached an agreement on this person.

Win Condition-In order for the Kiras to win, they must outnumber the Investigators mentioned above.

Notes-If one of the Kiras is targeted by Shidoh, they will lose their Death Note and their power. They are still considered a Kira. If Rem gives one of these Death Note's to a Kira, they can choose to give it back to its owner during a Night Phase, but can't vote to kill that night if they do. If a Kira wants to return a notebook, they must PM me and tell me.

Kiyome-While not a Kira herself, Kiyome is on their side. She has a few scraps of paper from the Death Notes, her own set of bodyguards, and is a popular television personality.

Power-Each night, Kiyome can choose to use one of her Death Note scraps to make a kill by PMing me at night. She can only do this three times over the course of the round, and if she kills a Kira, then she herself will die. Every other night, she can choose to deploy her bodyguards for the following turn. When her bodyguards are on-duty, she cannot be lynched, and if anyone other than a Kira or a Shinigami tries to use one of their powers on her, they will be killed. Since Kiyome also has power over Kiras followers, every other night, she can choose to have them mob a player, which will prevent said player from taking any action or saying anything of value the following turn.

Win Condition-In order for the Kiras to win, they must outnumber the Investigators mentioned above.

Notes-Unlike the Kiras, Kiyome will not lose the ability to kill if targeted by Shidoh.

L-The head of the Investigators, who want to stop the Kiras.

Power-Each night, he must PM me the name of person he wants to investigate. I will then tell him whether or not that person is a Kira.

Win Condition-His win condition is the same as the other Investigators.

Watari-L's butler, he is also considered part of the Investigators.

Power-Each night, he must PM me the name of person he wants to investigate. I will then tell him whether or not that person is L. Understudy to L and Near.

Win Conditions-His win condition is the same as the other Investigators.

Near-Second in line to L, he will inherit L's powers if L dies.

Power-Each night, he must PM me the name of person he wants to investigate. I will then tell him whether or not that person is a Kira. Understudy to L.

Win Conditions-His win condition is the same as the other Investigators.

Notes-Can't use his powers until L has died.

Mello-Third in line to L, he can be considered a wild card, in that he is neither fully a villain nor a hero. At the start of each game, he must PM me with his allegience-the Kiras or the Investigators.

Power-Each night, he must PM me the name of a person he wants to kill.

Win Conditions-Mello's win conditions vary, depending on whose side he chooses to be on. It is basically the same as that of whichever side he chooses to be on.

Notes-If targeted by Shidoh, he can lose his Death Note, thus robbing him of the ability to kill. He can then reveal his identity to Shidoh and request his notebook back, via PMing me.

Matt-Fourth in line to L, he is a friend of Mello's. As such, he will automatically be on the same side as Mello.

Power-Each night, he must PM me the name of a person he wants to wiretap. Any PMs sent to the GM from this person until the next Night will be forwarded to him.

Win Conditions-Matt's win conditions vary, depending on whose side Mello chooses to be on. It is basically the same as that of whichever side he chooses to be on.

Notes-Can only be used if Mello is in play.

Wedy-Something of a freelance agent, Wedy currently works for L.

Power-Each night, she must PM me the name of a person she wants to investigate. She will then learn that player's role. If she investigates a Kira, she has a 50% chance of being killed as a result.

Win Conditions-The same as that of the Investigators.

Shidoh-A shinigami in league with Mello.

Power-Each night, he must choose someone. If that person is a Kira or Mello, they will lose their notebook. He can choose to either take the notebook or use his power again the following night. If he has the notebook, he then has the option to kill one person each night, instead of using his other powers. He must PM me with his choice. Understudy to Mello.

Win Conditions-He will win if he gets all the notebooks or Mello remains alive.

Notes-If Shidoh doesn't get the notebook, it might be taken by Rem. Once he has it, he can choose to give it back to Mello if Mello requests it. As long as he has it, he can kill one person each night instead of using his other powers, if he wants.

Jealous-A shinigami who has strong feelings for Misa.

Power-Each night, he must choose someone other than himself to protect. If that person is targeted by a Kira or Mello, they will be spared. Each protection only lasts for the night it is given.

Win Conditions-He will win as long as Misa remains alive.

Notes-Even if he is killed, the person he protected that night will still be safe.

Rem-A shinigami who cares for Misa. She starts the game off with her own Death Note, but cannot freely use it to kill. It is up to her whether or not she wants to hang onto it or give it away.

Power-If Shidoh succeeds in disabling a Kira or Mello, she can get the notebook or protect Misa. Rem will not know when a notebook is available, so she must PM me to search for one instead of using another of her powers. Once Rem has a notebook in her possession, her options for the next night will be the following: Use the notebook to kill L at the cost of her own life, give the notebook to someone, search for a Death Note, or protect Misa. She must PM me her choice, and she can only protect Misa a total of three times. Each protection only lasts for the night it is given. She can choose to not take any action at all. Understudy to Jealous.

Win Conditions-She will win if Misa survives.

Notes-She can only be used if both Misa and Shidoh are used. If Rem gives the notebook to someone, they can either accept it(giving them the ability to kill one person each night instead of using any other power they have that night, if they choose) or, in the case of the Investigators only, give the notebook to L or Near(if L is dead). Neither L or Near can use the book, but they can destroy it instead of investigating someone at night. If someone other than a Kira or Mello accepts the book, and uses it to kill, they will be considered a Kira, along with whatever character they are. They can choose to remain anonymous or ask me via PM to join the other Kiras' circle. If they join the Kiras' circle, they can no longer kill whomever they want, and must agree with the group.

Special elements

Shinigami Eyes-During any Night Phase, players may PM me with the name of a player they think is a Shinigami, saying they want to make the eye trade with them. If they are correct, they will gain the Shinigami Eyes. Each night, someone with the eyes can choose to look at a player by PMing me. They will learn that character's role. This does not work on Shinigami, Kiyome, or anyone with a Death Note in their possession. Each Shinigami can only have a trade with one person at a time, and they will know who that person is. If the player with the Eyes dies, the Shinigami can make another trade. If the Shinigami dies, then the player who made the trade will be saved from death once, but they can no longer use the Eyes. If the player with the Eyes dies, then the Shinigami they traded with will be saved from death once. In order to make the trade, players must sacrifice some of their lifespan. As a result, each day, there is a 20% chance they will die, even if they lose the eyes. If they die and are revived because the Shinigami who made the trade with them dies, then this will no longer be in effect. Shinigami, L, and Near cannot make the trade.

Death Notes-The notebooks used by the Kiras, they allow a player to kill one person every night. At the start of the game, there are four active Death Notes in play-those owned by the three Kiras and the one owned by Mello. Rem also has her own Death Note, which she can use kill L at the cost of her own life or give to someone else. Shidoh can cause a player to lose their Death Note, while both he and Rem search for and pick them up. However, only Rem can use or give away Death Notes in her possession. A person can have more than one, and if a Kira has more than one, they can make a second kill, seperate from their group.

This is a game of strategy. Kiras can plot amongst themselves over PM at night or one can even come up with a plan on their own and keep it a secret from the others. They can take a risk and betray one another. L can reveal his identity in an effort to protect himself when accused or in order to reveal Kira. Another person can falsely claim the identity of L. You can ask Jealous to protect you or even ask Kira to spare you. The possibilities are endless, and it may take an insane risk to achiecve victory. So, who cares to sign up?

Current Participants

Player 1-

Player 2-

Player 3-

Player 4-

Player 5-

Player 6-

Player 7-

Player 8-

Player 9-

Player 10-

Player 11-

Player 12-

Player 13-

Player 14-

Player 15-

Player 16-

Player 17-

Player 18-

Player 19-

Player 20-

Current Participants

Player 1- MiKi [MissKitten is my full user, so that's what you should send the PM to, but I generally go by MiKi around here.]

Player 2-

Player 3-

Player 4-

Player 5-

Player 6-

Player 7-

Player 8-

Player 9-

Player 10-

Player 11-

Player 12-

Player 13-

Player 14-

Player 15-

Player 16-

Player 17-

Player 18-

Player 19-

Player 20-

w00t! Let's get this party started! This seems interesting since it's different from the regular style of mafia that I play, and that most of the players on BD probably play, so yay! I need a challenge!

Since it is a large game, I'd prefer to see the game balance analysis before signing-up.

Also, I didn't see the name in queue. Hoping that there is no schedule conflict, considering that it's a large game.

I'm not sure what you mean by this analysis, but the game has been played through before without any problems. If you have concerns, feel free to bring them up. And they said in the queue that I could start sign-ups now, because it's a larger game.

The analysis that I'm talking about tries to assess the collective power v/s wincon each faction has in the game, thereby trying to asses their possibility of winning. In a large game, it helps in avoiding a predominantly baddies/goodies favoring game.

Also, please specify what will be the content of night/day posts, and how an action conflict is resolved? Also, is there a precedence or order of action?

Edited by KlueMaster

I believe I already said what about be in the Night and Day Posts-an announcement of who was killed, along with an updated player list.

Action conflict? What do you mean?

There is no order of action.

There's always an order of actions, even if you don't realise it.

If A kills B and B kills C, does C die?

If a Kira tries to kill Kiyome, Mello tries to kill that Kira, and Kiyome tries to mob the Kira, what happens?

If a Kira kills Shidoh and Shidoh tries to take the notebook from that Kira, what happens?

If a Kira tries to kill Kiyome and Kiyome tries to mob Gelus (not Jealous), and Gelus tries to save Kiyome, what happens?

Depending on the interpretation of the order of actions, many different outcomes can be foreseen.

1. Kiyome mobs Gelus, so Gelus is unable to save Kiyome. So the Kira can kill Kiyome and Gelus is mobbed.

2. Gelus saves Kiyome and Gelus is mobbed for the next cycle.

3. The Kira kills Kiyome and Gelus is not mobbed.

All three of these can be justified by different orders of actions. Although the third one would be counter-intuitive. OOA is needed whenever there are 2 or more actions that affect other actions (Kira's kills, Kiyome's mob ability, and Gelus' saves according to some).

A published OOA lets the players know what to expect in these situations. Additionally, it allows for consistent posts from the host so the players can use logic to deduce who did what and how the situation in the night post was reached. If there are different results from the same actions every night, anyone can tell you that the game is too random. The OOA is the host's way of letting the players know how he compiles the actions.

As I said, there is no order of action. If two players target another, both succeed. If an ability breaks this, then that is said in the section for that ability. If Kira targets Jealous, the person Jealous protect will still be protect that Night.

So basically all actions go through?

I guess kills are non blocking anyways, and there are no blocking actions (Kiyome's block is a deferred block) so this shouldn't be a problem.

I believe I already said what about be in the Night and Day Posts-an announcement of who was killed, along with an updated player list.

So that means there will be no information whatsoever regarding which role did what?

From what I gather, dead people's roles are revealed, and everything goes through. I think this is more of an each-person-for-themselves type mafia.

Also, Sakura, regarding the whole "No OOA" thing, what happens if A kills B, but C saves B? Would B be killed or saved? This my main question for now, but I agree with Molly. There are plenty of scenarios where OOA is required. Like, if A kills B, but C saves B, and D kills C, and B kills D? What would happen then? There has to be a basic OOA, even if it's just Kills>Saves or Saves>Kills or something.

And yeah, I'm really busy right now [i'm actually not even supposed to be on BD; I'm taking notes for Social Studies due tomorrow...] and I've been busy the past few days, but I'm trying to slow down a bit, so I'll hopefully get this in my sig in a couple of days.

Also, MoMa and Klue: Let's give this a chance, yeah? I haven't played any mafias different from the BD style, so I'm eager to try this. And if you guys are worried because this isn't familiar, it'll make the most sense if you actually do it, right? Besides, I think we got off on the wrong foot with Sakura, and I, for one, am willing to give her another chance. So what say you put your names on the roster and try this out? [Wow.... I sound like I'm some grade school counselor or something....]

Edited by MissKitten

Saves would naturally override killing, because that's the whole point of them. If Jealous saves someone, then they can't be killed, unless Jealous is blocked in some way. It's not an order, just how it is.O_o I mean, the whole point of a save is to prevent a person from being killed. I'm pretty sure all the necessary inforrmation is in the first few posts I made.

So then the OOA would be block>save>kill, because a block prevents a save, and a save prevents a kill. Regardless of what should be "common sense", some actions override others, and that's what forms the OOA. So even though you're saying there's no OOA, there is a subconscious [sp?] OOA that you follow. If you want to find this OOA, just ask yourself some questions like: If A happened, but B would interfere with A, would A or B happen? If A happens to B, and B happens to C, and C happens to prevent A, what would happen? Questions like that help you find the OOA. And I think the basic template is somewhere along the lines of [and correct me if I'm wrong]: RID Kill>Redirect>Block>Save>Kill>Spy. And other actions are put in based on how important you think they are.

Sakura, sometimes things that are obvious to you, aren't to others. That's why people are asking questions. Most of these players are used to these things being stated very explicitly, since some of them tend to do counter-intuitive things in their games, rather than matching the obvious assumptions.

I wouldn't consider that an order, since it's just the way things would be naturally. If a save didn't override a kill, then it wouldn't be a save. Again, all of this is in the first few posts. I doubt this game is going to end up being played anyway, since no one is signing up.@_@

maybe with saves, yes, but not with blocks and other things. in the OOA, saves could be more important than blocks, or blocks could be more important than saves. Similarly, kills, spies, etc, could be more important than blocks, redirects, etc., or vice versa.

ANd give your mafia some time. Coup's been going on for what, a couple of moths now? It's only been a few days since you posted the thread. People will sign up, you just have to be patient.