BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A man was born in 1917. He lived through great depression, fought in the war, and saw Martin Luther King Jr. give his famous speech. But this man is not allowed to vote for the president of America this year on account of his age. Why?

23 answers to this question

A man was born in 1917. He lived through great depression, fought in the war, and saw Martin Luther King Jr. give his famous speech. But this man is not allowed to vote for the president of America this year on account of his age. Why?

A man was born in 1917. He lived through great depression,fought in the war, and saw Martin Luther King Jr. give his famous speech. But this man is not allowed to vote for the president of America this year on account of his age. Why?

"Maybe as he was depressed earlier , he has become mentally unstable(insane) now(assuming it was not the economic depression)"

Please verify the answer.

Edited by grey cells

There is no president of America. There are presidents in some of the countries in America. But this has nothing to do with his age.

A 91 year old man would not be prohibitted from voting for the President of the United States on account of his age. 1917 was not a leap year, (1916 was, but a person born on Feb 29, 1916 would still be 23 years old in 2008, and able to vote).

There are a couple possible reasons the man would not be able to vote for the US president: 1. He was not a US citizen (not on account of his age). 2. He had died of old age.

Let me clarify: Not the president of America, but of the United States of America. The man was not mentally unstable and is still alive.

Edited by Lausus

He is not a US citizen. The number of years he stayed in US doesn't qualify him to be a US national ... so can't vote. Probably he will vote when he is 95 or so ....

;)

As far as I know the election for the president of USA is not scheduled till next year.So as there are no elections this year , the man or for that matter anybody else cannot vote.

Edited by grey cells

;)
As far as I know the election for the president of USA is not scheduled till next year.So as there are no elections this year , the man or for that matter anybody else cannot vote.

i think u got it. makes the most sense.

Edited by Theo

;)

This still doesn't address why it is on account of his age. The problem states it is because of his age that he cannot vote.

Plus, election day is Nov 4, 2008, which is this year. That person will not be president until 2009, but the election is scheduled this year.

The answers you guys are giving don't work because the riddle states, "But this man is not allowed to vote for the president of America this year on account of his age. BTW, the Presidential election is this year. It's always on a leap year.

ETA: statman beat me to it

All I can think of:

The man is under 18 and 1917 is the time, given in military time, that he was born. He saw the speech given on TV, lived through his own great depression, and you can still join the military at 17 with consent. If that's the answer, it doesn't fit so well as we don't call clock time "in 1917" and we generally don't call those under 18 men.

I am now curious to see what the answer to this question is. The 26th amendment states: The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

There is no way that I can see that a person would not "on account of his age" be allowed to vote.

Seeing Scraff' answer gave me an idea

Born in 1917 could be a place (born in room 1917 of the hospital), not a date.

He lived through great depression could be personal, or family related, not "the great depression"

fought in the war-which war. Of course the last actual war was WWII, since then the US has not officially declared war. The others have been "police actions". But, he could have fought in a game war, or fought in a building called war.

Anyone can see MLK Jr. give his famous speech online now.

So, he could be younger than 18 years old.

Edited by statman

The man is under 18 and 1917 is the time, given in military time, that he was born. He saw the speech given on TV, lived through his own great depression, and you can still join the military at 17 with consent.

Under 18 years old man fought for America in wars???

Under 18 years old man fought for America in wars???

The OP doesn't say "wars", it says, "the war". As I said, you can join the military at 17 and they can certainly send you to war.

Does this limit to just this upcoming election, or to voting in general, or does it matter at all?

Edited by faisoka

It seems impossible. I came up with a possible answer though:

:P

this is the election year right after 1917, and he is not old enough to vote, but later he does all the stuff mentioned

maybe he is standing for president himself.Again maybe the age factor is mentioned to confuse us.

You are allowed to vote for yourself and the riddle states "on account of his age".

It seems impossible. I came up with a possible answer though:

:P

this is the election year right after 1917, and he is not old enough to vote, but later he does all the stuff mentioned

That doesn't work because the riddle states "this year".

If this year means "1917", then he's not just not allowed to vote for President because he's less than one year old, he can't vote because there was no Presidential election in 1917.

A 91 year old man would not be prohibitted from voting for the President of the United States on account of his age. 1917 was not a leap year, (1916 was, but a person born on Feb 29, 1916 would still be 23 years old in 2008, and able to vote).

Just because someone's birthday doesn't come around except for every 4 years doesn't mean that guy doesn't age four years between birthdays. Someone born Feb 29, 1916 would be 92.