BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Hard Grid Puzzle

Question

I just wanted to point out the fairly remarkable coincidence that the first row of

Pickett's updated chart (8,7,?,4,1,?,?,2,?) agrees with the fibonacci sequence taken

mod 9 (the first row values are in bold):

I agree....that is a remarkable coincidence. I guess that is the sequence being used...now to figure out the correct/logical path being used in this grid. Great find superprismatic

Thanks to all for their great finds and suggestions. I never would have found this connection and without that info...you are lost....

b-a-r-b-a-p-a-p-a.gif

<P>The Fibonacci sequence mod 9 makes sense and it repeats itself

after twenty-four terms. I agree that the 0s in the mod 9

sequence have been replaced with 9s in the grid. I'm trying to work some

logical paths through the grid that fit with the 5x 9's shown in the

grid. Hopefully i can make it fit.<BR></P>

Edited by ragh

But why take the sequence mod 9, begin at an arbitrary point (not the beginning), and then modify the sequence by swapping 0's and 9's?

It seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

You're right....it is a bit of a stretch. I doesnt make sense to swap the 0's for 9's. Maybe the 9's are in the 9x20 grid to throw us off or maybe they are meant as a type of redirect or a trigger that tells us to stop the sequence and restart the sequence from the beginning again.

I've tried the fibonacci sequence mod 9 (and replacing the 0's with 9's) but it only fits the first line. I've tried going around in a "hulahoop" pattern, going straight across each line, down the columns and it just can't work in any of those directions. Maybe there's some other pattern with the Barbapapa code?

Hunt at your own risk.

Review the diagnostic page for Barbapapa.

I think it's a trap.

Thanks Molly Mae, this is certainly good to know. I'm going to forward that link to the geocache puzzle owner and see what he has to say about it. I did a full scan and I haven't picked up any Malicious software. Fortunately i didnt click on any of the links, as the main page was all that was needed to rearrange the columns.

You says you think it's a trap. Please expand on this. Are you saying the person who created this geocache puzzle, has deliberately set a trap in an effort to spread malicious software?

Thanks Molly Mae, this is certainly good to know. I'm going to forward that link to the geocache puzzle owner and see what he has to say about it. I did a full scan and I haven't picked up any Malicious software. Fortunately i didnt click on any of the links, as the main page was all that was needed to rearrange the columns.

You says you think it's a trap. Please expand on this. Are you saying the person who created this geocache puzzle, has deliberately set a trap in an effort to spread malicious software?

No, that's unlikely.

I was just quoting Admiral Ackbar

I've tried the fibonacci sequence mod 9 (and replacing the 0's with 9's) but it only fits the first line. I've tried going around in a "hulahoop" pattern, going straight across each line, down the columns and it just can't work in any of those directions. Maybe there's some other pattern with the Barbapapa code?

I've pretty much done the same. Nothing seems to fit. Apparently a few have solved it. I'd sure like to know how.

http://www.barbapapa.fr

The letters at the top of the columns can be rearranged to be BARBAPAPA (see above link)...and the colors of the characters on that page match the colors at the top of the grid...that seems WAY to coincidental to me...Plus the colors of the letters match up with the character's colors in the name BARAPAPA. Finally, the site above is the "official site" (remember the clue was sometimes it's best to use official resources)...So that site HAS to contain the answer....

The only purpose of the "official site" is to rearrange the columns. The puzzle creator confirmed this. Once the columns are arranged correctly you can remove the letters as they are no longer useful.

Now we have a 9x20 grid with 20 numbers, 154 ?'s and A,B,C,D,E and F.

I'm just musing here...

We know Pickett's updated chart (8,7,?,4,1,?,?,2,?) agrees with a segment of fibonacci sequence taken mod 9 (the first row values are in bold):

The fibonacci sequence mod 9 doesnt appear to fit into 180 cell 9x20 grid using 0's or 9's.

The 2 double 4's in column 5 and the 2x 9's in row 4 and 8 are sticking out to me. Is it a trap or was it put there to assist with solving the puzzle.

The 4 double numbers in rows 1, 3 and 5 is sticking out to me. Is it a trap or was it put there to assist with solving the puzzle?

Is it likely that there are at least 2 or maybe more identical rows?

The 5 scattered 9's in the grid is a clue maybe and put there for a reason. Is it possible they are the only 9's in the entire grid?

Do we fill in the grid from top to bottom someway or do we start from the middle and work our way out?

9by20grid-1.jpg

I removed the letters on top because they are no longer required.

Edited by ragh

I've reached out to a mathematics professor with a Ph.D. Maybe he might be able to shed some light or offer some insight into this enigma.

Surprisingly he responded right away and said he will take a look at it tomorrow. If he can't shed any light on this, then who can?

873412927 going around like a hulahoop,

Can't fill in the whole grid, but if on the right path

then direction (i think) changes for the bottom half.

Took a leap of faith to guess last two rows, perhaps..

Leads to a colourful building with some junk in front.

873412927 going around like a hulahoop,

Can't fill in the whole grid, but if on the right path

then direction (i think) changes for the bottom half.

Took a leap of faith to guess last two rows, perhaps..

Leads to a colourful building with some junk in front.

You are probably right Wilson. The "Hulahup..." title is meant to give us 2 hints. The first is tied into the "Hup Hup Hup, Barbatruc" french saying when Barbapapa is shapeshifting. The second hint probably implies that the puzzle is solved by multiple number sequence circle (Hula hoop) patterns. The problem is figuring out how to fit it into the grid in a way that the next row is determined by the previous rows numbers, working are way down to the bottom.

The following words from the puzzle description keep replaying in my head...

"the right choice"s" and "logic" will be required to fill in the grid.

What kind if choices?....starting seeds (numbers)?....direction?...shape?...etc.

The puzzle obviously goes from top to bottom...the big question is how.

Start with 873412927

Number in the left hand column gives the moves forward for the next row?

If a 2 appears in the right hand column then repeat that row once again?

If an 8 appears in column 5 then do a 180 to get next row?

Had to work back to get row 11 as 278734129.

(which probably indicates that this is all wrong)

A4 B7 C1 D2 E7 F9

Sorry, don't seem to be able to attach or paste my grid.

Edited by Wilson

Start with 873412927

Number in the left hand column gives the moves forward for the next row?

If a 2 appears in the right hand column then repeat that row once again?

If an 8 appears in column 5 then do a 180 to get next row?

Had to work back to get row 11 as 278734129.

(which probably indicates that this is all wrong)

A4 B7 C1 D2 E7 F9

Sorry, don't seem to be able to attach or paste my grid.

Interesting idea Wilson and i appreciate your efforts. It's too bad the coordinates N45 26.471 W75 44.279 put you on private property in someones backyard.

Any luck with this puzzle?? I also have been looking at this for quite sometimes and I am still scratching my head...

The owner says that here is no needs to rearrange anything.

""Il faut juste remplir la grille et la première ligne (celle avec les lettres en couleur) est le point de départ. Vous n'avez pas besoin de "remettre en ordre" quoi que ce soit. Les colonnes et les lignes doivent demeurer telles quelles.""