BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

Six persons(one of them is my son), the age difference between one and other is 3 years,the older one is 30 years old.

2 of them play Foot ball,2 play Chess,and 2 play Table Tennis

2 of them eat Meat,2 eat Potatoes,and 2 eat Fish

2 of them drink water,2 drink Fanta,and 2 drink Cola

2 of them wear yellow shirts,2 green shirts,and 2 red shirts

a- Age difference between:-

....chess players=9 years

...Table tennis players= 3 years

...Fish eaters= 12 years

...the two wearing yellow shirts = 15 years

b-Meat eaters drink different drinks,but not water

c-Potatoes eaters play different plays other than chess

d-water drinkers wear different shirts ,but not red.

e-Fanta drinkers wear the same shirt color,other than green.

f-Cola drinkers have nothing else similar.

g-Foot ball players will soon resign.

The one who drinks water is my son....tell me more about him....

NoteTwo years ago my wife and I celebrated the anniversary of our 25 years marriage .

14 answers to this question

The only thing that can be definitely said is: He doesn't wear red shirt (All who wear red shirt drink Fanta), doesn't play football (Soon to resign football players are 27 and 30 years old, and father married just before 27 years), doesn't eat meat (Meat-eaters don'e drink water) and drinks water.

However there are multiple matrices possible and so there will be multiple solutions too. One example:Age: 15 18 21 24 27 30

Shirt: Y G G R R Y

Game: C T T C F F

Eat: F P M M F P

Drink: W W C F F C

Here, both can be son: of age 15 years or of age 18 years.

oops.. i think i got the wrong id here..

i was actually comparing my answer to brix's..

since our answers has nothing in common.. except for the water of course..

and about your matrix.. u can still relate one another and get a smaller range of results..

maybe even get the same answers as mine... ^_^

Anyways, i was hoping for wolfgang to tell us who got the correct answer though..

Edited by hungryforlogic

from the last clue-2 years ago , my wife & I celebrated the anniversary of our 25th year of marriage, as anniversary means 1 year plus 25 years plus 2 years ago= they are married for 28 years, and presuming that most couples had their first child on the first year of their marriage ( I have to presume or else there is no point in having this clue)-his son is 27 years old,

and since he is a water drinker- he must wear a green shirt, because , yellow tshirt wearers have a 15 years gap( so they can only be 30 & 15 -the oldest & youngest) and red shirts only drink fanta.

from clue A- Chess players have 9 years gap(30&21, 27&18, 24&15)table tennis have 3 years gap( 30&27, 27&24,24&21,21&18,18&15)

if I choose Chess players as 30& 21, then the table tennis players will be 27&24 or 18 &15, if i choose table tennis players as 27 &24, football players will be 18 &15- but clue e says-football players will soon retire, there is no logic for 18 &15 yrs old to retire , so the logical table tennis players are 18& 15, so that the football players are 27 &24, now they can retire as they may had already finished college . if i choose chess players as 27&18, that will leave only 1 choice for table tennis players to be 24 &21 and will leave again the football players to be 18 &15 which is again illogical. if the last option for chess players of 24&15, it will have 2 choices for table tennis of 30&27 and 21&18, the first choice will leave football players to be 18 &21 which I think is also too young to retire, and the other choice at 15 &27 years old. Thus, as 27 figures twice in the most likely choices for football player, I picked this sport for his son.

As the son is water drinker, then he cannot be a meat eater (clue b) so he can either be a fish eater or a potato eater. but as i have chosen 30 &21 years old as chess players who ate either fish or meat (as to the potato eaters play different sport except chess) and fish eaters have 12 years gap then the fish eaters is 30 years old and 18 years old, thus , this leave no other choice but a potato. so he is a potato eater.

I think u got a few things wrong there..

First.. the last clue-2 years ago , my wife & I celebrated the anniversary of our 25th year of marriage... means 27 years of marriage..

if u count it like that.. u re counting the fist moment they got married as a 1 year marriage..

Second.. Even if they are married for 28 years.. it is not necessarily for them to get their "first" child in the first year of marriage...

And it is not even said that it is their "first" child.. it could even be their fifth child or seventh.. doesn't matter..

I think the point of that clue is that to tell us that the 27 year old and the 30 years old cannot be their child.. since they re married for only 27 years..

As for the rest.. It's a little too long.. and quite lazy to type... :P

Edited by hungryforlogic

Is your son 15?

Does he play Chess and wear a Green Shirt?

And does he eat Fish?

(btw this is all guessing to be honest there was some thought but in the end i got confused so thought id guess :))

Two years before they celebrated 25th marriage anniversary. If they got their son before their first marriage anniversary, then their son may be running in 27th year now. But no doubt their Son could be of any age: 15year, 18year, 21year or 27year.

[1] Let the six persons be A, B, C, D, E, & F; and their age be 15Yr, 18Yr, 21Yr, 24Yr, 27Yr, and 30Yr respectively.

[2] Now since Fish eaters have Age difference of 12year, so they may be B & F or A & E.

Let us assume for the first instance --B & F are the fish eaters.

[3] Age difference between wearer of yellow shirts is 15Year, so they are A & F.

[4] Football players will soon retire, so they are E & F.

[5] Now chess players have 9 year difference, so they can only be A & D.

[6] Above concludes B & C play Table Tennis.

[7] Now potatoes eaters play different plays other than Chess, so A & D do not eat potatoes, and we assumed for the first instance that B & F eat Fish, therefore C & E eat Potatoes; and also that A & D eat meat.

[8] Now meat eaters A & D drink Different drinks but not water-- i.e. if A drinks Fanta then D drinks cola and if A drinks Cola, then D drinks Fanta.

[9] Water drinkers wear different colors other than Red i.e. Yellow and Green. So one of A & F is a water drinker, but from [8], A can’t be water drinker, therefore F is a water drinker. Now Fanta drinkers wear the same shirt color other than green, i.e. either both wear Red or both wear Yellow. A & F, both wear yellow, but F is a water drinker, so they can’t be Fanta drinkers, therefore Fanta drinkers wear Red shirts. Hence from [8], D drinks Fanta, and wears Red color, and A drinks Cola.

[10] Water drinkers wear different color other than Red, and F is a water drinker who wears yellow so other water drinker wears Green color.

[11] Now Cola drinkers have nothing else similar. A is a Cola drinker and other Cola drinker could be any one of B, C & E.

[12] Since couple celebrated 25th marriage anniversary two years ago so their Son could be any one of A, B, C, D & E. But A is a Cola drinker, and D is a Fanta drinker, while their Son is a Water drinker. So their Son is either one of B, C & E.

[13] Now the deadlock is reached, because there could be any one a water drinker. Therefore we may safely assume that their Son is E of 27 years today, a water drinker. Then from [10] he wears Green shirt.

WE NOW HAVE:

A - 15year - plays Chess - wears Yellow - eats Meat - drinks Cola.

B - 18Year - plays Table Tennis - wears Green - eats Fish - drinks Cola.

C - 21Year - plays Table Tennis - wears Red - eats Potatoes - drinks Fanta.

D - 24 year- plays Chess - wear Red - eats Meat - drinks Fanta.

E - 27Year - plays Football – wears Green - eats Potatoes - drinks Water.

F - 30year - plays Football - wear yellow - eats Fish - drinks Water.

What would happen if we assumed that A & E are fish eaters........? There could be many combinations, for example one might be the following:

A – 15YR – CHESS – YELLOW – FISH – COLA

B – 18YR – T T – RED – POTATOES – FANTA

C – 21YR – T T – RED – MEAT – FANTA

D – 24YR – CHESS – GREEN – MEAT – COLA

E – 27YR – FOOTBALL – GREEN – FISH – WATER

F – 30YR – FOOTBALL – YELLOW – POTATOES - WATER