BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

It is widely recognized that there are three versions of the word (to, too, two) in the English dictionary. If you had to make up a sentance stating that there are three 2s in the Enlish Language, how would you spell the word for 2s? Perhaps there's a fourth to describe the other three???

If I knew the answer, I'd be happy to provide the spoiler, but I don't.

6 answers to this question

It is widely recognized that there are three versions of the word (to, too, two) in the English dictionary. If you had to make up a sentance stating that there are three 2s in the Enlish Language, how would you spell the word for 2s? Perhaps there's a fourth to describe the other three???

There are four fours too (four for fore fawe). If there was a fourth too for the other three there'd be a fifth four too for sure.

Interesting question. I don't know if there would be a generally accepted answer. Myself, I would use the International Phonetic Alphabet; I think it would be something like: There are three [tw]s in the English language. Of course, I am probably using the wrong vowel sound, and the correct one may not be available in this font.

i know someone who new one and he new one too

Old n gold

Tew, to, too, two

fawe, for, fore, four - u need one more now octopuppy (FAW is fire at wil - still alive aparrently and acronyms don't count)

The problem with the question is in the assumption.

There are not three versions of a single word.

There are three words which sound alike.

If two and too are the same word, just different versions, and we say that solely because they sound identical,

then sight, cite and site are versions of a word, for the same reason.

How would you say "there are three sights in the English language?"

Generally, a word is taken to mean a character string.

A given character string "bill" might have several meanings: something you pay, part of a cap, a law before it becomes a law ... etc.

But "bill" nevertheless is one word, and its sentence would be "There is one bill in the English language."

Does that help?

I said a word is defined as a character string.

I found some authorities that disagree with that.

If a character string "bark" for example has multiple meanings [dog, tree] you can say those are different words, called homographs.

Since they are pronounced the same, they are also homophones.

They could therefore be called homophonic homographs, but they're usually just called homonyms.

OK, so what are your words -- to, too, two?

Certainly they are homophones - they sound identical.

But since they are spelled differently - are different character strings - they are heterographs.

Homophonic heterographs, to be precise.

I'm not sure why they would not be called heterographic homophones, but then I'm also not sure who cares.

But wait, there's more.

What if they are spelled the same [homographs] but pronounced differently [heterophones]?

For example row [meaning an argument or fight] and row [as opposed to a column] -- what do we call them?

You might think they'd be called homographic heterophones. Or heterophonic homographs.

But no, thankfully.

They're called heteronyms.

The two persons with really strange interests who are still reading this post should now get on with your lives. :huh: