BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello to all! This is Bellerephon, a friend of Cavenglok's. I have read his past mysteries and I have decided to start my own series. The main character is, as in Brian Dennis, YOU. However, in the story, her name is Bella Rephin. She is a detective who works in the chaotic town of Apex Valley, Arizona. This is the story of her first case...

Rules:

1. You may do anything you wish that is rational. As for the definition of rational... well, I hope that you have reason.

2. I will try to respond to all posts, but if two posts go in completely different directions, I will accept the one that was posted first. Therefore, try to expand and/or change parts of a previous post.

3. If there is severe indecision, I will call a poll in which each side explains their reasoning. I will then decide on the path that is more supported.

4. Any questions and/or comments are not unwelcome, but I would LOVE it if you guys had some helpful advice on my writing.

5. Riddles and clues, as in Brian Dennis, will be given in Italics.

Instructions

You are Bella Rephin, a private eye working in the hectic city of Apex valley, Arizona. The AVPD have enough on their hands as of the moment, so do not expect much help. You do, however, have a medical team.

You start with:

A cell phone

A pistol (I don't think I'll need to specify which kind, use your imagination)

A phonebook

A car (Again, use your imagination, but don't give it powers like a guided missile launcher)

A compass, a calculator, a web browser, and a map of Apex city that you can consult, all on your iPhone. (Android lovers, sorry)

A hot summer's day, in downtown Apex Valley

You have just started your business as a private eye, but you have gained some fame after capturing several burglars and a smuggler (long story, and not the one we're at now). As you're taking a stroll through some of the busier areas of Congress Avenue, looking for a crime to solve, you hear a rather peculiar conversation.

"Would you care for some white powder, boy?" A red-haired, middle-aged man asks a young teenager next to him, while pretending to look at some souvenirs.

"I'm sorry?" the teenager replies. He is evidently alarmed, but not overly surprised. Even after living here all your life, you're still not quite used to high crime rate and the casual conversations. However, drug dealing is still quite a big issue. You start approaching them.

"You obviously do not have much experience in the matter of drugs," the man says, just loud enough for you to catch.

You pull out your handgun (not very rare in Apex Valley. Most people have either a licensed firearm or an unlicensed firearm) and you break up the two.

"Unfortunately for you, sir, I have much experience in this field." You break into the conversation, sounding much braver than you were.

"Are you another one of those annoying private investigators again?" The red-haired person replies as he reaches into his pocket.

"Put your weapons down, sir, or I'll be forced to shoot."

"Calm down, girl. I will..." He says slowly, just as a small explosion from the toy store distracts you.

The perfect diversion. You think, but too late. He breaks free of your momentarily loose grip and bolts for a corner.

Drat! Another chance missed. You think gloomily.

Several days have passed since the incident, and it has retreated to the back of your mind. You are having lunch with a junior police officer (who is quite nice-looking) named Dan when you are interrupted by the head of the police department.

"Bella, we have received news of an attempted murder near one of the old abandoned warehouses. The guy shot in the stomach but he's not dead yet. Can you go and check on him?"

Well… you've just struck up your first conversation with this guy, and he apparently has no girlfriend yet… but then, there's the case. What to do next…?

Well, that's about it. There's your first choice… Boy or Case? (Remember that you can argue with previous posts by presenting your case better than they do.)

EDIT: Here's the maps

post-0-0-71923900-1311474878.jpg

post-0-0-77286200-1311474893.jpg

Orange - Police Station

Red - Hospital

Blue - Shops

Grey - Residual Areas (apartments)

Purple - HOME

Lime - Commericial buildings

Maroon - Gas Stations

Peach - Supermarkets

Brown - Hotels

Black - High Criminal Activity (HCAs)

Green - Bank

Yellow - Other

White - unused

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

The riddle refers to both the monster and its bane. You need both of the answers to proceed.

@Misskitten: I won't tell him the plot. He only helps me make riddles.

And I won't spoil the riddles. (cackle)

The first line is chimera, I agree. But I seriously doubt you need the freaking Chimera. And fail in what?

According to Greek Mythology, Bellerophon had help from the gods, who led him to the Pegasus, and they slew the Chimera. So we need to find something to do with the Pegasus?

If you wanna stump me, stop using Greek mythology-related riddles. :)

Edited by Cavenglok

Well, Cavenglok solved the riddle!

Just as you are ready to run to the police station and tell them the new development, you notice something on the back of the riddle. It says:

Painting-Roman

What?

Could there be another answer to the riddle?

FOR THE LAST TIME, CAVENGLOK, LOG OFF ON MY LAPTOP

anyway, "Cavenglok's" post is actually my post because he forgot to log off.

By the Way, the hint "painting-Roman" refers to the riddle about a god, not the one about the Chimera and Pegasus.

... First of all, we are obviously not one person multi-accounting. There is a significant difference between my writing style (more focus on descriptions, details, and filler in general) and Cavenglok's style (to the point). Secondly, it's because a) he uses my laptop and DOESN'T log out or b) he forgets log out of my account. I just hope that nobody thinks we are the same person.

Sorry for not posting for quite a while. We've been busy packing for an excursion and for the last few days, we've been on an excursion (i.e. no internet or laptop)

Mercury is right!

You slowly enter the letters M-E-R-C-U-R-Y. You see a secondary smaller hatch swing open. Inside, there is only one note.

If you discover this note, we will assume that you know about us.

We are the Pegasus, the seventh squad of the Apex Valley Police Department[

However, to contact us, you would need a phone number.

We will give you two hints.

The sum of our seven-digit phone number is 19.

Our phone number is a palindrome.

To prove that you are worthy, you must find the number.

We will give you the last five digits in riddles.

The first two will show themselves when you solve these riddle.

A black, hollow ball rolls around,

But it couldn't stop, for there was nothing to be found.

The first pair of numbers in our list of amounts,

Yet it is the biggest our hands can count.

More than the devil, less than infinity

Only one more than twice a trinity.

This is by far the hardest riddle we made so far. We spent much of our mealtimes coming up with this riddle, but it is still mediocre. To clarify things, basically you have to solve for the last five digits, then the first two will be obvious. Four riddles, but five digits... hmmmm

Actually, he made a mistake. Trust me, we did this together. This is the true combination.

A black, hollow ball rolls around,

But it couldn't stop, for there was nothing to be found.

The first pair of numbers in our list of amounts,

Yet it is the biggest our hands can count.

I am the brother of the last letter.

This amount of heads is always better.

More than the devil, less than infinity

Only one more than twice a trinity.

Edited by Cavenglok

Good job MissKitten! That was hard to make.

You punch in 7201027 on your cell phone and you hear nothing but the beeps for a few seconds. You tense, hoping that one of your leads will have finally come to fruition. Somebody picks it up on the first ring.

"Hello?"

"Is this the... Pegasus?" You feel slightly awkward about what to ask. What are you going to say, Can I ride you or something?

"You are..."

"I am Bella Rephin, private detective."

"Hello Ms. Rephin. Can you please prove that you are not a member of the Chimera?"

"Well..." You say, "Is my word good enough?"

"Unfortunately, no. However, we do know one fact about the Chimera; that their members are very dim. I have one riddle for you to solve. If you can answer it, we will know you are not a member of the Chimera."

You scratch your hair for a while. You were always good at riddles. However, were you ready for it?

"Sure," you say before you lose your composition.

"What dwelleth in houses and homes,

But not in apartments or domes.

I come before you in huts,

And I lie in gashes but not cuts."

"Well..." You begin. Surely this is the most mystifying riddle so far.

The last line is a forced rhyme... and doesn't make awesome sense, but will do. This is by far the hardest riddle I had so far. I made it with Cavenglok.