BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello to all! This is Bellerephon, a friend of Cavenglok's. I have read his past mysteries and I have decided to start my own series. The main character is, as in Brian Dennis, YOU. However, in the story, her name is Bella Rephin. She is a detective who works in the chaotic town of Apex Valley, Arizona. This is the story of her first case...

Rules:

1. You may do anything you wish that is rational. As for the definition of rational... well, I hope that you have reason.

2. I will try to respond to all posts, but if two posts go in completely different directions, I will accept the one that was posted first. Therefore, try to expand and/or change parts of a previous post.

3. If there is severe indecision, I will call a poll in which each side explains their reasoning. I will then decide on the path that is more supported.

4. Any questions and/or comments are not unwelcome, but I would LOVE it if you guys had some helpful advice on my writing.

5. Riddles and clues, as in Brian Dennis, will be given in Italics.

Instructions

You are Bella Rephin, a private eye working in the hectic city of Apex valley, Arizona. The AVPD have enough on their hands as of the moment, so do not expect much help. You do, however, have a medical team.

You start with:

A cell phone

A pistol (I don't think I'll need to specify which kind, use your imagination)

A phonebook

A car (Again, use your imagination, but don't give it powers like a guided missile launcher)

A compass, a calculator, a web browser, and a map of Apex city that you can consult, all on your iPhone. (Android lovers, sorry)

A hot summer's day, in downtown Apex Valley

You have just started your business as a private eye, but you have gained some fame after capturing several burglars and a smuggler (long story, and not the one we're at now). As you're taking a stroll through some of the busier areas of Congress Avenue, looking for a crime to solve, you hear a rather peculiar conversation.

"Would you care for some white powder, boy?" A red-haired, middle-aged man asks a young teenager next to him, while pretending to look at some souvenirs.

"I'm sorry?" the teenager replies. He is evidently alarmed, but not overly surprised. Even after living here all your life, you're still not quite used to high crime rate and the casual conversations. However, drug dealing is still quite a big issue. You start approaching them.

"You obviously do not have much experience in the matter of drugs," the man says, just loud enough for you to catch.

You pull out your handgun (not very rare in Apex Valley. Most people have either a licensed firearm or an unlicensed firearm) and you break up the two.

"Unfortunately for you, sir, I have much experience in this field." You break into the conversation, sounding much braver than you were.

"Are you another one of those annoying private investigators again?" The red-haired person replies as he reaches into his pocket.

"Put your weapons down, sir, or I'll be forced to shoot."

"Calm down, girl. I will..." He says slowly, just as a small explosion from the toy store distracts you.

The perfect diversion. You think, but too late. He breaks free of your momentarily loose grip and bolts for a corner.

Drat! Another chance missed. You think gloomily.

Several days have passed since the incident, and it has retreated to the back of your mind. You are having lunch with a junior police officer (who is quite nice-looking) named Dan when you are interrupted by the head of the police department.

"Bella, we have received news of an attempted murder near one of the old abandoned warehouses. The guy shot in the stomach but he's not dead yet. Can you go and check on him?"

Well… you've just struck up your first conversation with this guy, and he apparently has no girlfriend yet… but then, there's the case. What to do next…?

Well, that's about it. There's your first choice… Boy or Case? (Remember that you can argue with previous posts by presenting your case better than they do.)

EDIT: Here's the maps

post-0-0-71923900-1311474878.jpg

post-0-0-77286200-1311474893.jpg

Orange - Police Station

Red - Hospital

Blue - Shops

Grey - Residual Areas (apartments)

Purple - HOME

Lime - Commericial buildings

Maroon - Gas Stations

Peach - Supermarkets

Brown - Hotels

Black - High Criminal Activity (HCAs)

Green - Bank

Yellow - Other

White - unused

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Well since both agree... than i'll go to the scene.

You agree with Dan to go to the scene of the crime. He's just so... UGHHH! Anyway, forget about him for now. You drive with Dan to the scene: an old abandoned warehouse that he has become a hotspot for crime. There are rumors of large stashes of drugs hidden there, but nobody has bothered to check. Today, it is empty except for a lone man moaning in the corner.

"I was wandering around town, trying to get a coffee when I heard gunfire," A pedestrian explains, "I called the police, then ran in. They thought I was a police officer and bolted."

"The guy isn't dead yet, but it wouldn't be long. The bullet caught him in the stomach. We've already called in a medical team, but I don't think he'll make it." The leader of the police squad says, "We should question him now."

You move closer to the man and realize, with a shock, that he was the very same red-haired drug dealer! You quickly approach him.

"Detective Bella, I presume?" the man asks.

"Yes. And you're the guy that I chased last week, aren't you." You reply

"Listen! There is no time for idle chatter!" The corporal in charge interrupts. You are slightly annoyed but understand that the man is about to die. However, just as you are about to ask a question, Dan interrupts.

"Don't shout at her!" You are surprised but slightly pleased for some reason.

"I am your commanding officer, Dan. Do not say that to me." The corporal's voice is calm but menacing.

"Fine."

You start again; "Why did they try to kill you? I thought you are one of them."

"Was." He corrects, "When you saw me, they thought I would be a hinderance. Then they jumped to conclusions and blamed the capture of one of their members on me."

"Can you tell me their names?"

"I don't know the name of any other members but someone by the code of "Griffin" who I take orders from. I also know that the gang is called Chimera." The man sputters, coughing some blood.

"That's... not a very good start."

"There is a safehouse on the south-west corner of downtown. We sometimes meet there."

"Thank you. That's good enough for me," You reply. The corporal looks ready for action, and Dan, thoughtful.

"Please, protect my family..." the man says quietly. Then he slumped to a side, and went limp.

Well, trust him or not... It could be an ambush...

@ Cavenglok: Unfortunately, the AVPD has more important matters to attend to (like tracing useless leads and getting bribes... You won't get any help from the regular AVPD anytime soon...

The stars are just important events occured. I have yet to add the safehouse.

@all To make your life miserable, you have no police squad at your disposal until you are hired by the AVPD as an investigator. Since internet shuts down in 2 minutes, sorry to Thalia but I can't make the choice just yet.

Do we know the guy's name? And more importantly, DO WE HAVE A TASER????? If you have read my posts in any of the Brian Dennis cases, you will know that the first thing I usually do is make sure we have a) some type of body armor [bulletproof, of course], b) a taser [you will not believe how much it helps!] and c) some big weapon that is really powerful but doesn't get in your way. I usually request a fully armed police squad, too, but that's out of the question here. And the weapon has already been decided. But still, can we get some awesome body armor and a taser? I'm sure if we pull a few strings, the head of the AVPD and'or Dan can make some things happen. And try to get a better weapon if you can.

@MissKitten: He's dead, if you haven't noticed :P We might be able to lay our hands on some armor... maybe if you and Dan became better friends? ;)

As for a taser, you are not permitted to use one until you're hired.

@all AVPD already has several investigators. You need to prove your worth before they hire you.

Since Thalia and Headshot agree on something...

You pull away from the Redhead. You know he couldn't be giving anymore information. Everybody around you looks down, because even he was a drug dealer, he was still a life. You stay in silence for a while, your hand wandering toward Dan. You feel a strong hand on your shoulder and just as you're about to turn, a ringtone breaks the silence.

"Uh... it's mine." Dan says awkwardly as his hand quickly leaves your shoulder. You feel disappointed as he goes and receives his call. The corporal looks at you and asks, "Is your job over?"

You feel unwanted as the rest of the squad slowly leaves, taking the redhead with them for examination and a background check. Having nothing to do for the moment, you go and look for Dan.

"It's too dangerous!" You hear Dan say as if he was in a heated argument. You don't want to intrude on his privacy, but you are too curious.

"Listen, that Bel-" Dan is cut off as the person at the other end shouts something. You start to back off, leaving Dan to his conversation.

"You don't need to risk yourself, I can. The Peg-" Dan stops halfway through his conversation. He whispers something under his breath. You realize what was the cause of his stop. You had knocked over an old piece of furniture, causing a racket.

"Bella? What are you doing here?" Dan asks softly but with a hint of steel in his voice. You look away and say "Idinmeanto" quietly.

"Sorry?"

"I didn't mean to. Anyways, who were you talking to?" You feel fiercely protective and you don't want anything to happen to Dan.

"What did you hear?"

"You said something was too risky..." You trail off, knowing you probably heard something you shouldn't have.

"Oh that," Dan replies, looking slightly relieved, "I was talking to my brother who wants to visit me in Climax City."

"And why's that dangerous?"

"Well, with the high crime rates and everything..." His voice grows quieter. The two of you stand in awkward silence for a while, just staring down.

"Well... I was wondering, do you have any plans this afternoon?" He asks, without ever looking up.

"Why?"

"I thought you'd like to join me for dinner somewhere?" You are extremely shocked at his question. You decided to take that as a sign of friendship, nothing more.

'Well, I could-" But then you remember that you are an investigator. "But I have more matters to attend to," You sigh, trying to impress on him you would like nothing more than to have dinner with him.

"I can go with you to the warehouse, if you'd like."

"No, it's alright. You have your job to do. Besides, you'll have to go meet your brother."

"I..." he looks confused. Then, he says, "Oh yes, I promised my brother I would visit him in Phoenix."

You feel slightly disappointed that he can't go with you, but that is replaced a sense of confusion.

Bella, what are you thinking? You ask yourself. He is just a friend.

"Anyways, I guess I'll have to go now." Dan says slowly, never looking at you.

You part your ways, him back to the station, and you to check out the safehouse. Just as Dan leaves, you feel a sense of insecurity that no one is watching your back.

You arrive at the old building that the man had told you about. As far as you could see, there was nobody hostile. However, your experience told that didn't necessarily mean there was nobody hostile. You approach the site slowly and stand next to the door. You can't hear anything, but you still pull out your gun and kick the door open like a cliché officer. You find that there is nothing in there, but you weren't about to give up easily. You feel your fingers about the dark room and find a hidden door inside a wardrobe. (I know, very cliché)

You are extremely disappointed by the sight inside. Tables are overturned, chairs messed up. The drawers are open, obviously stripped of anything useful to the police. The lone light threatens to go out, and the room stinks of sweat. You open several boxes at the back of the small room, but find that any drugs they might have originally held had disappeared. The single painting is about to fall, the carpet fading in color. You wonder what to do now.

I would like (if you have time) to not only decide on a course of action, but also comment on my writing. Too much filler? Not enough emotions? No descriptions?

Whoops! It seems as if I accidentally posted on Cavenglok's account. Stupid him, forgetting to log off on my computer. Anyways, I wrote that little bit and I'll try to get it to work somehow.

@MissKitten: He's dead, if you haven't noticed :P We might be able to lay our hands on some armor... maybe if you and Dan became better friends? ;)

As for a taser, you are not permitted to use one until you're hired.

@all AVPD already has several investigators. You need to prove your worth before they hire you.

Since Thalia and Headshot agree on something...

You pull away from the Redhead. You know he couldn't be giving anymore information. Everybody around you looks down, because even he was a drug dealer, he was still a life. You stay in silence for a while, your hand wandering toward Dan. You feel a strong hand on your shoulder and just as you're about to turn, a ringtone breaks the silence.

"Uh... it's mine." Dan says awkwardly as his hand quickly leaves your shoulder. You feel disappointed as he goes and receives his call. The corporal looks at you and asks, "Is your job over?"

You feel unwanted as the rest of the squad slowly leaves, taking the redhead with them for examination and a background check. Having nothing to do for the moment, you go and look for Dan.

"It's too dangerous!" You hear Dan say as if he was in a heated argument. You don't want to intrude on his privacy, but you are too curious.

"Listen, that Bel-" Dan is cut off as the person at the other end shouts something. You start to back off, leaving Dan to his conversation.

"You don't need to risk yourself, I can. The Peg-" Dan stops halfway through his conversation. He whispers something under his breath. You realize what was the cause of his stop. You had knocked over an old piece of furniture, causing a racket.

"Bella? What are you doing here?" Dan asks softly but with a hint of steel in his voice. You look away and say "Idinmeanto" quietly.

"Sorry?"

"I didn't mean to. Anyways, who were you talking to?" You feel fiercely protective and you don't want anything to happen to Dan.

"What did you hear?"

"You said something was too risky..." You trail off, knowing you probably heard something you shouldn't have.

"Oh that," Dan replies, looking slightly relieved, "I was talking to my brother who wants to visit me in Climax City."

"And why's that dangerous?"

"Well, with the high crime rates and everything..." His voice grows quieter. The two of you stand in awkward silence for a while, just staring down.

"Well... I was wondering, do you have any plans this afternoon?" He asks, without ever looking up.

"Why?"

"I thought you'd like to join me for dinner somewhere?" You are extremely shocked at his question. You decided to take that as a sign of friendship, nothing more.

'Well, I could-" But then you remember that you are an investigator. "But I have more matters to attend to," You sigh, trying to impress on him you would like nothing more than to have dinner with him.

"I can go with you to the warehouse, if you'd like."

"No, it's alright. You have your job to do. Besides, you'll have to go meet your brother."

"I..." he looks confused. Then, he says, "Oh yes, I promised my brother I would visit him in Phoenix."

You feel slightly disappointed that he can't go with you, but that is replaced a sense of confusion.

Bella, what are you thinking? You ask yourself. He is just a friend.

"Anyways, I guess I'll have to go now." Dan says slowly, never looking at you.

You part your ways, him back to the station, and you to check out the safehouse. Just as Dan leaves, you feel a sense of insecurity that no one is watching your back.

You arrive at the old building that the man had told you about. As far as you could see, there was nobody hostile. However, your experience told that didn't necessarily mean there was nobody hostile. You approach the site slowly and stand next to the door. You can't hear anything, but you still pull out your gun and kick the door open like a cliché officer. You find that there is nothing in there, but you weren't about to give up easily. You feel your fingers about the dark room and find a hidden door inside a wardrobe. (I know, very cliché)

You are extremely disappointed by the sight inside. Tables are overturned, chairs messed up. The drawers are open, obviously stripped of anything useful to the police. The lone light threatens to go out, and the room stinks of sweat. You open several boxes at the back of the small room, but find that any drugs they might have originally held had disappeared. The single painting is about to fall, the carpet fading in color. You wonder what to do now.

I would like (if you have time) to not only decide on a course of action, but also comment on my writing. Too much filler? Not enough emotions? No descriptions?

Edited by Bellerophon

Yeah, but see, if you're the almighty investigator you say you are, you can do background checks and figure it out. Maybe kiss Dan the next time you see him or something? That oughta work. Besides, you're TRYING to get him to like you. You're SUPPOSED to feel sad you can't go out to dinner. Although, I have a feeling Dan has something to do with this. I dunno what it is, it's just that you overheard that bit of the convo, and it makes me think that he went to clear out the place before you got there. And besides, with all the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Encylopedia Brown I read, I've picked up on a few things. Such as the person you like is usually the person behind the crime. And besides, it's the perfect cover for Dan, working with the police. He's like Snape, a double agent. Now, if only you could sway him t oyour side and get him to tell you everything...

:blush: Sorry, I kinda rambled there, didn't I? If anybody else wants to add, feel free. Your logic is probably better than mine. :lol: My intuition sucks.

PEG could mean Polyethylene glycol (PEG). which is used in anti-freeze. which is used to make drugs. we need to accept dinner with dan, but do not let him think we suspect him. just try and sweet talk some answers out of him.

but before we do that we need one more cliché check behind the picture to make sure there is nothing behind it.

on another not as I was reading your latest post(before i got to the last line) I was thinking to myself how good the writing was it feels like im reading a story keep up the good work.

You walk slowly across the room to the painting. You slowly lift the painting off the tack on the peeling wall. You gasp as you slowly place the painting on the carpet. Too easy? You think to yourself as you bring your hands to the tiny safe on the wall.

"OUCH!" You yell as something shocks you. Stupid static electricity. You think to yourself. You leave a second to recover, then slowly find the lock on the wall. It took you a while to find the tiny keyboard for a combination lock. There is only a small riddle scratched on the wall.

I stole before anybody else,

I taught my brother to be humble.

I am both musical and sly,

Without me, Olympus would crumble.

I think that the riddles themselves would be leaning toward Greek Mythology... Do your homework! :D

EDIT: DON'T YOU DARE SPOIL THIS CAVENGLOK. GIVE IT AWAY AND I'LL RUIN UR STORY!! WHY DID I TRUST YOU TO HELP ME MAKE MY RIDDLE??!! YOU KNOW THE ANSWER AND YOUR KNOT GIVING IT AWAY!!

Edited by Bellerophon

@ Thalia: Too easy...

You type in H-E-R-M-E-S on the keyboard. It beeps for a while and you hold your breath. Behold! It swung open slowly, only to reveal... Nothing. It seems as if they emptied that as well... what wasted time.

well since we are out of leads it time to go to dinner with dan.......................also can we tell if the dead guy or dan have any tattoos perhaps one of a Pegasus

You take out your cell and is about to dial it when you realize, with horror, that you don't have his number! You are extremely downtrodden and resort to kicking the furniture. Your frustration is about to explode when you notice a piece of white sticking out from the ground. Could it be...? You hold your breath and reach your hand out. You pull the piece of paper out from the carpet and you see only two lines written on the other side.

Fiery breath and serpent's tail,

Without this creature, you shall fail.