Question

• Answers 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

barley

although i can't see how it fits everything

'Tis ok, though this guess is not it.

bitters? still on the booze idea - locked and robbed liquor cabinet seems to work but not sure on the preservation front. ooh, or maybe lemon?

Sorry PG, the fine beverages require something different.

Curry? Probably not it, but the whole flavor thing kinda got me thinking. And then a bunch of my friends like to make fun of me and curry, so it's always on my mind... *walks off while singing a rendition of Fireflies called "Curryflies"*

Haha, I like the answer (& yumm!!) but no, not what I'm looking for. ^_^

Since the riddle has to do with barrels, malt, fermentation and flavoring I was reading up on the beer brewing process and thought this might help solve the riddle:

( From Wikipidia)

The first step in wort production is to make malt from dried, sprouted barley. The malt is ground into grist. The grist is mashed, that is, mixed with hot water and steeped, a complex and slow heating process that enables enzymes to convert the starch in the malt into sugars. At set intervals, notably when the mixture has reached a temperature of 45 °C, 62 °C, and 73 °C,[1] the heating is briefly halted. The temperature of the mixture is usually increased to 78 °C for mash out. Lautering is the next step, which simply means the sugar-extracted grist or solids remaining in the mash are separated from the liquid wort.

In homebrewing, the malt-making and mashing steps can be skipped by adding malt extract to water. The wort is then boiled and the process proceeds as indicated below.[2] (See Brewing for more details.)

Once the wort mixture has been created, it is then boiled in order to sanitize as well as extract the flavor and aroma from the hops, which are added to the wort at set times in two parts: the bittering hops are boiled for around an hour to an hour and a half, and the finishing hops are added toward, or after, the end of the boil. Hop cones contain resins, which provide the bittering and take a long boil to extract, and oils, which provide flavor and aroma, but evaporate quickly. Generally speaking, hops provide the most flavoring when boiled for around 15 minutes, and the most aroma when not boiled at all (i.e., added after the boil, a process called dry hopping.)

At the end of boiling, the hot wort is quickly cooled to a temperature favorable to the yeast. Once sufficiently cooled, the yeast are added, or "pitched", to begin the fermentation process.

The adjunct grains which can be added to the mash include wheat, corn, rye, and rice. Adjunct grains may first need gelatinization and cooling.[3] They are used to create varietal beers such as wheat beer and oatmeal stout, to create grain whisky, or to lighten the body (and cut costs) as in commercial, mass produced pale lagers.

to PRESERVE

From Dictionary.com:

1. to keep safe from danger or harm; protect

5. to prepare (food), as by freezing, drying, or salting, so that it will resist decomposition

11. ( usually plural ) fruit, etc, prepared by cooking with sugar

back for another guess...

soy? specifically soy sauce...

Sorry LJ, not what I'm looking for.

to PRESERVE

From Dictionary.com:

1. to keep safe from danger or harm; protect

5. to prepare (food), as by freezing, drying, or salting, so that it will resist decomposition

11. ( usually plural ) fruit, etc, prepared by cooking with sugar

Another good guess, but too close to the clues, which only point in the direction of the intended answer.

Vanilla :

1.It is used as flavor to some drinks

2. I am not sure if it is a preservative though

3.it makes food delicious

4. It is obtained from pods of fruits

5.it can be used to flavor hot foods ( desserts)or cold(ice cream)

6. It is said to be very expensive that robbery often occurs

Vanilla :

1.It is used as flavor to some drinks

2. I am not sure if it is a preservative though

3.it makes food delicious

4. It is obtained from pods of fruits

5.it can be used to flavor hot foods ( desserts)or cold(ice cream)

6. It is said to be very expensive that robbery often occurs

Sorry brix, what I have in mind is absolutely used to preserve.

Smoking (food)

I add depth to fine beverages Smoking is sometimes used to flavor tea & liquors.

Many foods I help to keep It is used to preserve a variety of foods - vegetables, fish, cheese, meats, etc.

Tradition, having plenty It has been used for a *very* long time.

Delicious bounty do you reap Mmm, barbeque ... amongst other things.

From fruit & forest do I come Woods used for smoking are fruit & hardwood species.

Cold & hot to do the job Smoking methods include hot smoking & cold smoking.

Lock where I live & work

Or be sad when you are robbed Smokehouse - A building where foods are both smoked & stored, and in some places/times would be subject to thievery.