BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I put some money in the bank. I wait until there is some interest on it, then take the intrest, go back in time to when I origanaly put the money in the bank, and put that money in as well as the origanal money. Then, there will be more money to begin with, which means there is more interest, which means more money gets put in, which means more interest...

Now I have Infinite money!!

17 answers to this question

I put some money in the bank. I wait until there is some interest on it, then take the intrest, go back in time to when I origanaly put the money in the bank, and put that money in as well as the origanal money. Then, there will be more money to begin with, which means there is more interest, which means more money gets put in, which means more interest...

Now I have Infinite money!!

But how does that make infinite money?

Look. Imagine I put in £100. Let's asume the intrest was 3% each year. In 1 year, I would have £103 (from the interest), and I say "I would ike to take out all money but £100" I obviously have £3 with me now. If I take it back in time to when I origanaly put £100 in, and put my £3 in there too, I would have £103 in. But then, when the interest is put on, 3% more will mean I would of had £106.03, which means instead of taking out £3, I took out £6.03, and put that in the bank instead of the £3, so I have £106.09, so I end up with the interst of £109.27, so I put in £9.27 and have £109.27 in the bank...

My money is constantly growing, however, it is all instantly hapening at the same time. Basicly, I wave an infinite amount of money!!!

Look. Imagine I put in £100. Let's asume the intrest was 3% each year. In 1 year, I would have £103 (from the interest), and I say "I would ike to take out all money but £100" I obviously have £3 with me now. If I take it back in time to when I origanaly put £100 in, and put my £3 in there too, I would have £103 in. But then, when the interest is put on, 3% more will mean I would of had £106.03, which means instead of taking out £3, I took out £6.03, and put that in the bank instead of the £3, so I have £106.09, so I end up with the interst of £109.27, so I put in £9.27 and have £109.27 in the bank...

My money is constantly growing, however, it is all instantly hapening at the same time. Basicly, I wave an infinite amount of money!!!

Due to the natural law of conservation of time, you will end up forming an infinite queue at the bank consisting of you and yourself, thus taking forever to generate the infiniteth dollar.

Due to the natural law of conservation of time, you will end up forming an infinite queue at the bank consisting of you and yourself, thus taking forever to generate the infiniteth dollar.

No, there will only be 2 instances of me: the one that origanaly put in the money, and the one who puts in the interest, because he said "I will like to take out all money but £100", ensuring that ALL interest is taken out, not just the 1st set of interest.

No, there will only be 2 instances of me: the one that origanaly put in the money, and the one who puts in the interest, because he said "I will like to take out all money but £100", ensuring that ALL interest is taken out, not just the 1st set of interest.

No, assuming the future isn't changed by time travel, you can't only have 2 instances of yourself going to the bank. If you only went twice, then you only had £100 + £3, yielding £106.03, which is clearly not infinite. If you claim to get infinite interest, then you must have entered the bank on infinite occasions.

Your argument for 2 instances of you fails because then you can't explain why your interest would be infinite.

No, assuming the future isn't changed by time travel, you can't only have 2 instances of yourself going to the bank. If you only went twice, then you only had £100 + £3, yielding £106.03, which is clearly not infinite. If you claim to get infinite interest, then you must have entered the bank on infinite occasions.

Your argument for 2 instances of you fails because then you can't explain why your interest would be infinite.

Actually, because I said "I would like to take out all money but £100" means that the instance carrying £6.09 replaces the instance carrying £3, who is then replaced by the instance carrying £9.27, and they are replaced by the instance carrying £12.54, and so on...

Actually, because I said "I would like to take out all money but £100" means that the instance carrying £6.09 replaces the instance carrying £3, who is then replaced by the instance carrying £9.27, and they are replaced by the instance carrying £12.54, and so on...

I like voider's original idea except that by allowing there to be an infinite queue of people depositing at the same time, he seems to have allowed the prerequisite to happen which is the infinite amount of people withdrawing different amounts from the same yet different bank account at the same time. So technically by voider's idea you still would make infinite money. refining it a little bit you could say by the conservation of time, the queue to withdraw money must eventually become long enough to allow for the time spanned by the depositers to overlap with the time spanned by the withdrawers. In fact everyone would end up waiting in a line to withdraw money that they will deposit back, but the person depositing the money back in would be further up in line.

sort of the grandfather paradox, except your not killing anyone.

let's see if we can get this into a more acceptable form.

you deposit 100$ in a bank, exit the bank, time travel to the future where its gained say 75$ of interest.

then you time travel back to a point shortly after you time traveled forward, revisit the bank, and deposit the 75 dollars as well.

hmm. agian, you wouldn't have an inifinite amount of money, as eventually the past will catch up to the future, though you could hypotheically generate a fairly large sum.

What if, instead of depositing the $75 after the first you deposited the $100, you gave unto your old self the $75 to deposit just before he walked into the bank? So only one of you walks into the bank in the original present and one walks out in the future (collecting all but $100).

I think that may have been the original intention of the OP.

assuming its possible to interact with your past self, the complexities could be astounding.

lets say i build a time machine. in my wallet i have 100$. i time travel backwards 5 minutes, and give my past self all the money in my wallet. (100$). now my past self has 200$. when he reaches the five minute mark and time travels back, he gives his past self $200. and so on.

even stranger, no matter how many times i do this, my future self has no money in his wallet! :-)