BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

wolfgang

Question

Sam, Tom ,and Jim are three brothers having a total amount of 60$.

The one with minimal amount of money always tells the truth,the other with average amount of money always lies, and the one with the large portion of money can either lie or tell the truth.

Sam says: Tom is poor.

Tom says: Jim is a lier.

Jim says: I am rich!!

Howmuch money has each one of them?

Who is who?(truth teller,lier and random teller?)

6 answers to this question

Sam can not be the honest one since that would make him poor, and his claim false.

Jim can not be the honest one for the same reason.

Tom is honest and poor. Jim is the lier and has modest money. Sam is rich and happened to tell the truth about Tom.

As for amounts, if the modest amount is average, then it is 20. The poor and rich amounts have to add to be 40, but can vary. Tom has between 0 and 19 while Sam has between 21 and 40, 40 minus whatever Tom has. I see nothing that narrows down the ranges of money they can have beyond this.

Sam can not be the honest one since that would make him poor, and his claim false.

Tom is honest and poor. Jim is the lier and has modest money. Sam is rich and happened to tell the truth about Tom.

As for amounts, if the modest amount is average, then it is 20. The poor and rich amounts have to add to be 40.

Assuming "minimal" amount of money means least possible, Tom has 0 dollars and Sam has 40. If minimal means to actually have at least one dollar, then Tom has 1 dollar and Sam has 39.

I misread minimal to just mean small last time rather than minimum.

As for amounts, if the modest amount is average, then it is 20. The poor and rich amounts have to add to be 40.

Assuming "minimal" amount of money means least possible, Tom has 0 dollars and Sam has 40. If minimal means to actually have at least one dollar, then Tom has 1 dollar and Sam has 39.

Yeah....correct!!

So...

Tom has only 1$ and is the truth teller

Jim is the lier,having 20$.

And Sam (the rich one) has 39$,he can either lie or tell the truth( as he did in this case).

Edited by wolfgang

Why sam can not tell truth?

If assume Sam tell truth, Tom is poor, and Tom will tell truth.

Therefore, Jim is lier. Jim is not rich. He is medium one.

Sam is rich one. Tom is poor one.

Any problem here?

Why sam can not tell truth?

If assume Sam tell truth, Tom is poor, and Tom will tell truth.

Therefore, Jim is lier. Jim is not rich. He is medium one.

Sam is rich one. Tom is poor one.

Any problem here?

Your answer is the exact answer I gave. Please read it again. I did not say Sam can not tell truth, I said he could not be the honest one (who always tells the truth). My answer noted that Sam did tell the truth though.