BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

I <3 Roleplay, but I'm not so into the combat of it, I'm more into talking with NPC-esque characters and dramatic backstories xD

I voted for Dystopian mostly because that's like ._. my favourite genre of anything. Ever. But I'm used to med.fantasy. The whole amnesia thing is fun mostly because I host a ton of those on another site and I'm quite familiar with them :D

Oh for those who may be confused about the format, it's been like this so far; there's a kind of gamemaster/"dungeonmaster"/host (it's been me but of course could be anyone) that kind of explains the scenario, situation, the world, the NPCs, everything except for the PCs (the player characters, whom are controlled by the players themselves). The setting being in a shoutbox or livechat. It could work in a forum setting too, it would just be much slower. Luckily BD has a live chat too so there are all kinds of options

I personally prefer the RP section of the game as I tend to find combat a little dull.

agreed. I've definitely been thinking of ways to streamline it further than it already is (for future games at least).

For those of you who said a historical period, what did you have in mind? there are all kinds of possibilities here. Endless really :) A few that might be interesting: (but in no way is this list exhaustive)

* europe during world war II

* rome or greece during their respective golden years (or the collapse thereof)

* biblical times/locations

* cavemen/nomad era

* the 60s

* piracy in the 1400-1700s region (the "golden age of piracy" being mid 1600s to early 1700s or w/e)

* the dark ages / the crusades / inquisition / etc

**** etc

One way to streamline combat could be to allow it to require more inventiveness and make it so that it is more about finding inventive ways to use things in relation to the opponent and location.

One way to streamline combat could be to allow it to require more inventiveness and make it so that it is more about finding inventive ways to use things in relation to the opponent and location.

yea that's a really good idea. Another thing I was thinking was a sort of Toughness stat (one of only a couple stats) that sort of represents your physical toughness/strength/stamina/whatever. And in unarmed combat, whoever has the highest Toughness wins and can choose to subdue, headlock, or knock out their opponent (you would actually have to double their toughness to kill them from unarmed combat). And then if you're armed, it's totally different. Like if guns were a thing in the game, 1 hit will either kill or severely wound (incapacitating that part of their body for future use until healed, if ever). So it would be about your accuracy/skill/experience with said gun. A knife would just be a more lethal extension of a Toughness-style fight. And multiple people in a Toughness-style fight would then incorporate strategy/tactics/location to get the better hand. Or something. It needs tweaking of course but yea it's a lot simpler, especially 1-on-1: i.e., unreality has toughness of 3. Grizzly bear has toughness of 10. grizzly bear wins :P But if I climb in a tree and drop a bunch of rocks on its head to knock it out (kind of the innovation twist you proposed), then I win

Am I the only one, according to the poll that likes a pure RP?

Looks that way. I have nothing against it, it's just hard to handle certain situations sometimes unless everyone accepts that the host has the ultimate power to kill them off if the situation is appropriate. With combat, it kind of allows a fighting chance (literally), or at least a displacement of blame from the host :lol::P

I would have chosen pure roleplay, but every so often the situation comes around that the only answer is violence ._.

But seriously; pure roleplay is much more fun to me, but I find that isn't the case with a lot of people ._. So things like DnD are okay with me but there's way too much combat and not enough freedom (which is why I like to more in forums :P)

I used to be on here more but, I'm still in Mafiaville. I really can't say that I have enough time, unless it is late at night only.

I chose space b/c your imagination can run endlessly. I can play combat or none at all. Of course, I picked pure RP b/c it may be more interesting than just another war game. If a game that I like happens to fit in my itinerary, I may sign up. Only thing is I may need a poke on MM to get me to go elsewhere.

for those who are voting up the medieval-style RP, well there's one going on right now on MM so feel free to join in; the next one (either running side by side with the khyros RPG or starting anew at some future time) probably won't be medieval (since the current one is) , so if you do want that high fantasy type setting (elves and dragons and such) then hop over to MM :P I guess the second highest winner will be the next one. Unless people exclusively swords&sorcery style which is fine too

Considering the fact that Winds of Atmos was my first Forum RP.

What is a Pure RP?

no combat, just talking. It doesn't necessarily mean there's absolutely no conflict or violence; it's just descriptive rather than numeric

I used to be on here more but, I'm still in Mafiaville. I really can't say that I have enough time, unless it is late at night only.

I chose space b/c your imagination can run endlessly. I can play combat or none at all. Of course, I picked pure RP b/c it may be more interesting than just another war game. If a game that I like happens to fit in my itinerary, I may sign up. Only thing is I may need a poke on MM to get me to go elsewhere.

noted :)

no combat, just talking. It doesn't necessarily mean there's absolutely no conflict or violence; it's just descriptive rather than numeric

So no stats? Would rather it be more of the type that we are playing on MM right now. Would play either, just my preference.

More comfortable and easier for me to wrap my head around what is happening, plus my writing skills are sub-par in my opinion :( . More sight based, can sort of see the world better.

Edited by Framm 18

So no stats? Would rather it be more of the type that we are playing on MM right now. Would play either, just my preference.

More comfortable and easier for me to wrap my head around what is happening, plus my writing skills are sub-par in my opinion :( . More sight based, can sort of see the world better.

right - I'm going with the amnesiac route (since the poll roots for that) and sort of designing a new game for future playing perhaps. It has a stat system too but very simple (even simpler than the medieval one going on at MM) because it's more deadly than chopping at each other with swords, aka there's guns involved.

yea that's a really good idea. Another thing I was thinking was a sort of Toughness stat (one of only a couple stats) that sort of represents your physical toughness/strength/stamina/whatever. And in unarmed combat, whoever has the highest Toughness wins and can choose to subdue, headlock, or knock out their opponent (you would actually have to double their toughness to kill them from unarmed combat). And then if you're armed, it's totally different. Like if guns were a thing in the game, 1 hit will either kill or severely wound (incapacitating that part of their body for future use until healed, if ever). So it would be about your accuracy/skill/experience with said gun. A knife would just be a more lethal extension of a Toughness-style fight. And multiple people in a Toughness-style fight would then incorporate strategy/tactics/location to get the better hand. Or something. It needs tweaking of course but yea it's a lot simpler, especially 1-on-1: i.e., unreality has toughness of 3. Grizzly bear has toughness of 10. grizzly bear wins :P But if I climb in a tree and drop a bunch of rocks on its head to knock it out (kind of the innovation twist you proposed), then I win

That sounds like a very good sort of idea.

A good deal of helpful data has been collected, thanks guys :) if I were to start an RP here (probably based from a thread but most interaction happening either on a shoutbox like at MM or probably, Brainden's live chat), should I do so now/soon, or in a little while? When are people most often free to play? E.g. I am available a few days each week (usually sometime between 9 and 5 :P)

Brainden just got a new live chat feature which is pretty awesome and will work great for this purpose :) Up at the top in the toolbar, 2nd from the right, is the Chat tab!

Note that Free Chat incorporated into BrainDen forums is for 5 members max. For more member you may use http://brainden.com/chatboard.htm