BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

deannadream

Question

10 answers to this question

you use your unlimited supply of rope to fill the gap between the two poles and walk across but then you would need a cubic mile of rope to get close to fill the gap lol

Wellll!

Climb down to the ground, walk to the other pole. Just leave the rope behind, that much would be too heavy to carry

I was thinking this as well... unless you mean he wants to reach the top of the other pole

Wellll!

Climb down to the ground, walk to the other pole. Just leave the rope behind, that much would be too heavy to carry

ya,he wants to get to the top. And it'll be kinda hard crawling up a smooth, mile-high pole with no ledges or anything.

you use your unlimited supply of rope to fill the gap between the two poles and walk across but then you would need a cubic mile of rope to get close to fill the gap lol

he does do it this way, but how can he do it? Personally, I can't throw anything a mile away...

Throw away the small rock. Then make a lasso with the rope and lasso the second pole. Pull the rope tight, tie it to your pole, and walk across the tightrope. Use the twig as a balance stick.

Here is my idea, sorry can't get spoiler box to work , tried 5 times won't let me click OK . So stop reading if you don't want a spoiler ( at least I hope it is...)

-First I would throw the rock and twig away, then tie one end of the rope tightly to the top of my pole, make a lasso knot on the rope and then rock back and forth until my pole swings close enough to the other pole ( it's a mile high so it should be quite flexible...) Then I would lasso the top of the other pole and quickly tie them together. Then voila, I can easily climb onto the other pole and live happily ever after there....

Simplest method:

Fashion the stick into a boomerang, and use it to throw the rope around the other pole and back to start making a bridge - would fail if the boomerang is too weak or small. But having a rock as a stick-shaping tool would make sense, then. Otherwise, the rock could be replaced by a coil of rope.

More practical:

First, measure out slightly more than two miles of rope. Thin this section out (by using the sharp edge of the rock to cut two of the three internal strands, perhaps, and disentwine them). Tie the stick in about halfway. Then, holding both ends, swing first just the looped end in a vertical circle and add more and more rope from the pile beside you to the swinging rope to build up momentum. (Throwing 2 miles of rope a mile takes a lot of strength! - this is why it was lightened) When at least half the rope is swinging easily, let it fly so it loops around the far pole. That high up, the wind should help. So if aiming is difficult, use the stick in the rope as a kind of rudder and by pulling on one or the other side of the rope adjust its position. When the rope makes it around the far pole, pull the first end in your hand until the two miles are replaced with non-thinned rope. Secure tightly around the near pole, making a tight loop of rope slightly over 2 miles long. Then, using the loop as a pulley system, weave a rope basket onto one rope side and make your way across to the other side!

Alternatively, one could weave the end of the rope into a net slightly larger than the top of the pole. Then, you swing and release it and (after a few tries) get the net to cover the top of the far pole, going over the edges. By pulling a second section of rope also connected to the net, you close the net like a drawstring over the far pole, making it attached tightly. Then, walk across the tight rope. But, the rope angles downward slightly from the top of one poll to the near-top of the drawstring net. So then, one would secure the rope on the immediate side, and make a rope swing hanging down to ride on.

Natural:

Some spiders travel by weaving balloon-like nets and letting the wind take them. With thin enough rope, you could do this, using the rock as an anchor and some more rope to fashion a sail. Though perhaps a kite-like object would be best to aim.

Tie the rope on the top of the pole on which you are. come down and take the other end of the rope to another pole. Take the rope around the another pole, and pull it so that it reaches as high as possible. Again take the end of the rope to the first pole and repeat the procedure. Repeat the procedure to get maximum rounds of rope on both poles. now you can bind the other end of the rope to the rock, and climb on the pole resting feet on the rounds of rope. If you don't reach the top than you can move the topmost round upward resting on round just below it and come down and move the next uppermost round again. Repeating the procedure till the rounds take you to the top of the poles.

May be the twig is used to move the tight round of rope upwards.

Tie the rope on the top of the pole on which you are. come down and take the other end of the rope to another pole. Take the rope around the another pole, and pull it so that it reaches as high as possible. Again take the end of the rope to the first pole and repeat the procedure. Repeat the procedure to get maximum rounds of rope on both poles. now you can bind the other end of the rope to the rock, and climb on the pole resting feet on the rounds of rope. If you don't reach the top than you can move the topmost round upward resting on round just below it and come down and move the next uppermost round again. Repeating the procedure till the rounds take you to the top of the poles.

May be the twig is used to move the tight round of rope upwards.

In the solution I have given solution to reach the top of both the poles. To reach top of only one other pole, you may apply the trick only for other pole. Is this the right solution..... or there is some other trick also...?