BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

EventHorizon

Question

This is similar to "Apples Delivery, Hungry driver" but I heard this form back in elementary school. I also have a few more questions to ask about it.

You have 2000 bananas to bring across the desert. You are riding a camel that must eat one banana per meter (ie, you cannot drop all bananas and move the camel like with the apples question). The camel can hold 1000 bananas at a time.

Assume that if you go a fraction X of a meter, then the camel eats X part of a banana.

Question 1: How many bananas can you bring to a bazaar 1000 meters away?

Question 2: How many bananas can you bring to the bazaar (still 1000 meters away) if you started with 3000 bananas?

Question 3: How far could your camel go (one way) if you started with 5000 bananas?

Question 4: How much further could your camel go than in Q3 if you started with 6000?

Question 5: How many bananas would you need to start with to be able to reach a bazaar 2000 meters away?

Question 6: How many bananas would you need to start with to be able to make a return trip from the bazaar in Q5?

Question 7: If you have a capacity of C and B*C+E bananas (B is a positive integer, 0 <= E <C), how far (one way) can you ride the camel?

10 answers to this question

Oops...took a little too long to edit.

Let the following be questions 6-9.

Question 6: How many bananas would you need to start with to be able to make a return trip from the bazaar in Q5 (with the requirement that while at the bazaar you cannot have any bananas out in the desert)?

Question 7: Same a Q6, but you can leave bananas out in the desert.

Question 8: If you have a capacity of C and B*C+E bananas (B is a positive integer, 0 <= E <C), how far (one way) can you ride the camel?

Question 9: Same as Q8 except you need to return (eg, two way trip)?

This is similar to "Apples Delivery, Hungry driver" but I heard this form back in elementary school. I also have a few more questions to ask about it.

You have 2000 bananas to bring across the desert. You are riding a camel that must eat one banana per meter (ie, you cannot drop all bananas and move the camel like with the apples question). The camel can hold 1000 bananas at a time.

Assume that if you go a fraction X of a meter, then the camel eats X part of a banana.

Question 2: How many bananas can you bring to the bazaar (still 1000 meters away) if you started with 3000 bananas?

Question 3: How far could your camel go (one way) if you started with 5000 bananas?

Question 4: How much further could your camel go than in Q3 if you started with 6000?

Question 5: How many bananas would you need to start with to be able to reach a bazaar 2000 meters away?

Question 6: How many bananas would you need to start with to be able to make a return trip from the bazaar in Q5?

Question 7: If you have a capacity of C and B*C+E bananas (B is a positive integer, 0 <= E <C), how far (one way) can you ride the camel?

1. you dont need a bannana eating camel, carry them yourself, 1000 meters is not far.

2. 3000 ahy, well atach a cart to the camal and lead the camel who is pulling bannanas.

3. again cart it, 5000 meters

4. 1000 meters

5. as with problem 1, walk maybe eat 3 bannanas in that time, after all, it is high noon.

6. again 2 maybe 3

7. C bannanas

hopefully

kiger

1. you dont need a bannana eating camel, carry them yourself, 1000 meters is not far.

2. 3000 ahy, well atach a cart to the camal and lead the camel who is pulling bannanas.

3. again cart it, 5000 meters

4. 1000 meters

5. as with problem 1, walk maybe eat 3 bannanas in that time, after all, it is high noon.

6. again 2 maybe 3

7. C bannanas

hopefully

kiger

1000 bananas may be a bit much to carry repeatedly. It may also have been in miles when I first heard it.

So try to answer these when forced to ride the camel.

1. 333 bananas

2. 533 bananas

3. 1787 m

4. 1878 m

5. 7690 bananas

rest were too long to calculate. I am making general formula if I get that then will write the rest.

7. I will modify the representation slightly. I will limit 0<E<=C. Let X=BC+E

So now let r=(C/(2B+1)) if C mod (2B+1) is 0 or 1 else r=(C/(2B+1)) +1

after r meters new number of bananas is Y=X-r(2B+1).

if Y=DB+1 where D is integer then make Y =DB.

Again repeat the same process and keep accumulating r's in each step. stop when you reach the place or bananas are zero.

Are 3 and 4 tricks, in that the answer to 3 is 1000 meters and the answer to 4 is 0, as you can only carry 1000 at a time?

here's a method to get 200 bananas to a bazaar 1000 meters away when starting with 1600 bananas.

pick up 600 bananas, move 200 meters toward the bazaar (400 left), drop 200 bananas (200 left), move 200 meters back.

pick up 1000 bananas, move 200 meters toward the bazaar (800 left), pick up the 200 bananas you dropped previously (1000 left), move 800 meters to the bazaar (200 left).

You now have 200 bananas at the bazaar.

I don't know that this is the maximum, but without too much thought, I can get 500 bananas out of the 5000 by going in 250m stages, dropping off 500, and then 250 back. 5 times for the first stage, 3 times for the second stage, 2 times for the third stage, and once for the last stage.

I don't know that this is the maximum, but without too much thought, I can get 500 bananas out of the 5000 by going in 250m stages, dropping off 500, and then 250 back. 5 times for the first stage, 3 times for the second stage, 2 times for the third stage, and once for the last stage.

you can get more bananas to the bazaar than that, but that was a good effort.

Question 3 actually asks how far you could travel and not how many bananas you can get to the bazaar.