BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

An old lady carying the Eggs in basket on het head. Suddenly she met an accident and all eggs were broken. The person was ready to pay compansation for Eggs. He asked how many eggs were there? She said I am illiterate and I can not count, but when I Was putting the eggs in the Row of 2 Nos the one egg was extra, similarly when I was arranging in row of 3 Nos then also 1 egg was remaining, When I was arranging in Row of 4 Nos then also one was remaining, When I was arranging in Row of 5 Nos then also one was remaining, When I was arranging in Row of 6 Nos then also one was remaining but when I was arranging in the row of 7 it was complete and no reminder. So find out what is the lowest possible no. of eggs.

Pramod Kasarekar

10 answers to this question

She had minimum 301 eggs in the basket.

An old lady carying the Eggs in basket on het head. Suddenly she met an accident and all eggs were broken. The person was ready to pay compansation for Eggs. He asked how many eggs were there? She said I am illiterate and I can not count, but when I Was putting the eggs in the Row of 2 Nos the one egg was extra, similarly when I was arranging in row of 3 Nos then also 1 egg was remaining, When I was arranging in Row of 4 Nos then also one was remaining, When I was arranging in Row of 5 Nos then also one was remaining, When I was arranging in Row of 6 Nos then also one was remaining but when I was arranging in the row of 7 it was complete and no reminder. So find out what is the lowest possible no. of eggs.

Pramod Kasarekar

301 eggs, around 30 pounds of eggs, depending on size. Add container weight and it does make for a precarious way to carry eggs! Next possible number is 721, really getting heavy

There were twenty-five dozen eggs plus one egg (id est, 301) in the basket on the old lady's head that met with an accident.

7 rows of [301 - 0] eggs = 307/7 = 43 eggs in each row.

6 rows of [301 - 1] eggs = 300/6 = 50 eggs in each row.

5 rows of [301 - 1] eggs = 300/5 = 60 eggs in each row.

4 rows of [301 - 1] eggs = 300/4 = 75 eggs in each row.

3 rows of [301 - 1] eggs = 300/3 = 100 eggs in each row.

2 rows of [301 - 1] eggs = 300/2 = 150 eggs in each row.

Pramod Kasarekar

the answer is 301 eggs:

301/7=43+0

301/6=50+1

301/5=60+1

301/4=75+1

301/3=100+1

301/2=150+1

:)

No spoiler as this is an unsolvable puzzle with the information given. The puzzle said the lady was illiterate and couldn't count (being illiterate doesn't mean you can't count - but lets stick with this). Then she starts talking about the number of rows she is placing the eggs in - if she can't count how are we to know the number of rows are correct? If the rows are incorrect (which they should be because she can not count) then the seventh row could have been the 19th row or any other number for that matter - thus making the puzzle unsolvable.

In lay man terms we just need to find 70k + 21 for the answer and divide it to see the answer. It would be 301. One can also use Chinese remainder theorem for the same.

No spoiler as this is an unsolvable puzzle with the information given. The puzzle said the lady was illiterate and couldn't count (being illiterate doesn't mean you can't count - but lets stick with this). Then she starts talking about the number of rows she is placing the eggs in - if she can't count how are we to know the number of rows are correct? If the rows are incorrect (which they should be because she can not count) then the seventh row could have been the 19th row or any other number for that matter - thus making the puzzle unsolvable.

To clarify: illiterate and can not count means: 1) The lady is illiterate 2) She can not count either. These are 2 separate piece of information and have no relation between them what so ever. Secondly she can not count would mean that she would be telling the other person using some sign which may not be possible to depict here. Hence it is for our own readability that the information is given in numbers. For you own convenience you can take it as she told the man the number of eggs using her finger. I hope you'd find the riddle solvable not. blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif