BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Shadow7, you did well on four-fifths of your answers. You might wish to re-examine 7D.

Aaryan, I do see how one might read the clue and get an impression that your answer could be the answer. But it is not the intended answer.

For those who have not worked on a cryptic crossword before I give these hints. A cryptic crossword clue usually requires mentally dividing the clue into two parts with one part being a definition of the word answer and the other, either the same, or a cryptic reconstruction of the letters by the re-arrangement of letters (anagrams), the appending of letters or small words together, the dropping of letters or small words, the use of phonetics (homophones, syllables), and sometimes through the use of symbolic representation (for example, a period [.] could exist in a clue to represent the word period, point or dot). Where there is a reconstruction involved, the clue should hint at the reconstruction. As examples, to stir and shuffle in the clue might mean the word is an anagram and/or the letters need rearranging.

Edited by Dej Mar

Shadow7 (7D) - Incorrect.

Aaryan (6D) - No, not the answer. Good guess though.

rsn (1D) - I am not sure how you arrived at the incorrect guess.

rsn (11A) - I see how you guessed it, but it is not right.

Aaryan (8D) - Not correct.

Occasionally, an different answer fits the clue than the one that is intended. If you feel your answer does just that and I agree (you may need to present your argument), I will award you as one of those that 'first' solved that clue.

:lol: about 1D

but felt good about 11 A

is 3D correct? what about 5A, 6D & & 7D are they correct

some positive reinforcement is required :unsure:

All answers given that were not said to be incorrect are correct.

11A was a good guess, yet it doesn't quite fit the clue. But, as I said in my previous post, if you make a strong enough argument I will award you as solving that clue -- but the answer will not check with many of the cross clues...so it will yet need be solved correctly.

Yard Back - Dray with Photograph 'P' so PRAY

I understood the logic, but it would only be half the clue, then.

As I stated previously, the definition of the word should also be given in the clue. Where the whole clue is half the clue, the clue is called (in cryptic crossword circles) a pun, and would be noted with either an exclamation or question mark. Elsewise, divide the clue into two parts. One part is the definition, the other is either a definition or a cryptic instruction on how the word is to be created or discovered. Your answer would solely be the second, with no definition. Take for instance your 3D.

...is about a period of history.

...is about // a period of history.

IS = ARE, with the instruction that it is reversed (ABOUT), thus, ERA.

A period of history is a definition of ERA. Thus, ERA is the answer.

Edited by Dej Mar