BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

PROLOGUE:

"A no-holds-barred, pull-out-all-the-stops, breathless tangle of thriller..........................A new year at Hogwarts."

A new year at Hogwarts.....................After a weary journey through the "Hogwarts Express", all the students found themselves in the main dining hall, where in front of them, in the middle of the long teachers' table, sat Albus Dumbledore , smiling to see the children back at Hogwarts. Many innocent people (stone) among a few vicious ones. Malfoy gave a disgusted look at Harry, who was busy talking with Hermione and was soon joined by a boy. With that red hair, it was not difficult to identify Ron.

There, in the crowd, stood Ginny, a little nervous but more calm and contented. And among them, stood Colin, happy as ever..............

Nobody knew that among the happy and merry environment of Hogwarts, there existed a "Chamber of Secrets", where Riddle waited, planning viciously and smiling. Another side, Basilik was ready for the night adventures.............

Though some students were new to Hogwarts, they knew of the adventures of last year. They all knew, one mistake and a great damage would ensue.............

• Answers 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

LOL.

@Curr3nt :angry: How dare you commit suicide when I'm trying to kill you?! :P

Well, we can fill in the roster ourselves

1. PEACE-

2. nox- Basilisk

3. Aaryan- Hermione

4. Anon26-

5. yoDell-

6. Thalia- Harry N1-Q as Basilisk, N2- Nox as Basilisk, N3-was Slick as Ginny but talked into EDM as Malfoy, N4- Curr3nt as Malfoy

7. Chaits-

8. Q-Cumber- Riddle

9. Slick- Ginny

10. Araver-

11. EDM/KM-

12. Auramyna-

13. Segul/Curr3nt - Malfoy

I think YoDell was Colin but I'm not sure.

Edited by Thalia

Well, we can fill in the roster ourselves

1. PEACE - Ron (n1:EDM, n2: nox, n3:slick, n4: chaits)

2. nox - Basilisk

3. Aaryan - Hermione

4. Anon26 -

5. yoDell -

6. Thalia - Harry (N1-Q as Basilisk, N2- Nox as Basilisk, N3-was Slick as Ginny but talked into EDM as Malfoy, N4- Curr3nt as Malfoy)

7. Chaits -

8. Q-Cumber - Riddle

9. Slick - Ginny

10. Araver - Stone 4 (N1 - waited patiently for the night-kill, N2 - was sure to be killed, unsure if Harry will get nox, N3 - was sure will get killed, N4 - no worries)

11. EDM/KM -

12. Auramyna -

13. Segul/Curr3nt - Malfoy

@Thalia, yeah, I stopped after Peace and Aura claimed ... I was kinda sure that {Harry, Colin} = {Thalia, YoDell}, order not important for goodies.

Though it would have been fun for some baddie to claim Harry at some point *sigh*

cur was playing a slick game (no pun intended) by trying to look nonchalant.

Oh, and lol's for N1:

EDM was double blocked

Yodell (Colin) spied araver, and Q (Riddle) redirected her to araver

Harry RID'd a baddie Q=Riddle) as another baddie (Basilisk)

Edited by Aaryan

cur was playing a slick game (no pun intended) by trying to look nonchalant.

Oh, and lol's for N1:

EDM was double blocked

Yodell (Colin) spied araver, and Q (Riddle) redirected her to araver

Harry RID'd a baddie Q=Riddle) as another baddie (Basilisk)

aaaaand you were kinda right about the "experienced players" thing! :P in the end, the baddies had cur, nox, q, and slick! :P

I was Colin;) ofcourse ..

Got redirected N1 when I targeted araver and got suspicious on him :-)

Night 2 it was aura: no action :'(

Night 3 followed the plan and followed thalia and realized she was harry because I got edm as my target's target... So I cleared them both in my mind , but as thalia did not out her role at all I covered for her so she would not be targeted if she rid wrong.;-)

Glad we won;-) it was my first win as a goodie :thumbsup:

Though I must say, goodies won mostly out of luck. A lucky RID in N2 and Q and Segul's inactivity sealed it. In the end, araver came up with a sure win, though. And cur being there earlier in the game would have made a big difference.

Hmm, not sure about that. In fact, I guess there is no way I can agree with what you said: luck being the main factor behind the Goodie win.

Yes, the win is crushing (7 living Goodies out of 9) because of the baddies inactivity.

Inactivity is a shame, but it was not the only cause of the baddies' downfall:

- the Baddies inability to defend, raise suspicions somewhere else: Nox after D1/during N2, Slick in D3, current in D4/N4

- the lack of any Baddie strategy even in BTSC /powerplaying night actions in N1-N3. For e.g. why did Slick take the NK in N3, when it was obvious he was gonna be blocked?

Both made the goodies' job of finding and taking them out much too easy. Sorry, but not only inactivity, but lack of any good moves from Baddies made them lose this game. And without covering/defending in the game thread, no baddie team is ever going to win (as long as NK can be blocked)

Also, I would not count either of the RID Kills as lucky. Neither RID kill was on N1. Neither was born of luck. Both were follow-ups of suspicions in the game thread. Both were gambles with a high profitability rate if successful and a lot of insights gained even if not successful.

Not sure what defense you were expecting me to come up with. With Segul's inactivity that means no Harry or Colin. With 2 Stone claims and EDM being a likely stone that means Harry and Colin were two of the four unclaimed. Means Slick and I were the baddies.

That is what I was given from the start. I did try to move the lynch to Aura but no one seemed to really buy it and I didn't feel I could push it harder without drawing more attention to me.

Baddies really werent lucky here. Segul and Q being inactive meant no manipulation like cur does, and less influence in the popular conversation.

Though I must say, I was referring to things like "the araver plan" or "the KlueMaster plan". But most of it began with Thalia getting nox (I think she may have been listening to unintentional hints) and sheer luck in D2.

And as shadow said, inactivity kills.

For the record, I never gave any hints before I died. I just has a really bad defense :P. I spied peace N1, and blindly voted nox D1. But I flatter myself knowing that people took my ridiculous defense as a hint at nox.

Not sure what defense you were expecting me to come up with. With Segul's inactivity that means no Harry or Colin. With 2 Stone claims and EDM being a likely stone that means Harry and Colin were two of the four unclaimed. Means Slick and I were the baddies.

That is what I was given from the start. I did try to move the lynch to Aura but no one seemed to really buy it and I didn't feel I could push it harder without drawing more attention to me.

Only one that would sway the RID Kill from you (you kinda basically said you are fine with the RID kill targeting you *shrug*).

You are correct, there was little you could do at that point, except counterclaim a Stone (such as Chaits). I don't believe you had any chance to win at that point. Sorry if my words seemed to imply otherwise.

Baddies really werent lucky here. Segul and Q being inactive meant no manipulation like cur does, and less influence in the popular conversation.

Though I must say, I was referring to things like "the araver plan" or "the KlueMaster plan". But most of it began with Thalia getting nox (I think she may have been listening to unintentional hints) and sheer luck in D2.

And as shadow said, inactivity kills.

For the record, I never gave any hints before I died. I just has a really bad defense :P. I spied peace N1, and blindly voted nox D1. But I flatter myself knowing that people took my ridiculous defense as a hint at nox.

Hmm, I understand how it looked from your PoV.

But, as I explained during N2 (and I was truthful in that), you could have explicitly told if you spied either Nox or Aura (and you did not). And you could have voted in self-defense. That meant that nothing was for certain, but if you accept the bad defense theory this makes blind-voting more likely.

I intentionally used your votes to get Nox and Aura under suspicion / talking during the next night, to provide a target for Harry to try:

- Nox couldn't lift the suspicion off him (hence he was the target of the RID Kill after your lynch)

- Aura defended (a bit, apparently just enough to not be targeted by Harry that night) and was later forced to claim during the next day to alleviate all suspicion off her.

So your two random votes were transformed, through pressure, into a baddie getting targeted and a goodie outing.

And also, out of the votes on you (3rd and 4th dropped), at least one of Slick and Chaits was a baddie who was bandwagoning shamelessly. After Chaits was forced to claim in D2, this left the Slick option, which was taken care of in N3.

So, your lynch was indeed a turning point ... it put the goodies at an apparent disadvantage, and we were kinda forced to get the pressure going faster (force people to out, coordinating night actions in public, etc). At least this is how I felt it. There is actually a syndrome in Mafia, not very clear in this one particular game, more visible in other games - the faction which takes hits early on gets more determined / doubles their efforts to come back. This means taking more risks, which in turn, if unlucky, can come back and bite you.

I do see your point about the first RID Kill being lucky i.e. Nox was Basilisk, the very first thing Harry tried. It was 25%.

But, the minute Nox did not defend properly (both to suspicions based on your vote and a possible spy + the fact he voted for EDM which had an almost perfect defense after N1), Nox became a target of goodie actions. If you take the RID kill away, he would have been blocked and revealed to be Basilisk anyway after N2.

So, I'm saying he should have been better protected by himself and his teammates. Someone should have taken the fall to protect the Basilisk ... this was their Achilles' heel.

I did consider Day 2 a lucky lynch since Q and Segul (and to a much lesser degree EDM) were inactive/unable to defend. It could have been a bad lynch, but guess what ... it wasn't. They were both inactive AND Baddies. This does not happen very often.

And indeed all these bits added to the goodies winning by a 7 players alive margin. But again, luck was not the major factor in the victory itself ("mostly out of luck"), just the major factor in the fast/big margin.

Another thing I failed to mention. Inactivity does kill, but ...

I usually shout for the host to replace my inactive teammates, even if I am a ghost or a goodie who may by accident shout to replace a baddie. More obvious if I am a baddie in need of teammates voting with me *shrug*. It makes me unpopular for some hosts, if I keep bugging them everytime someone does not appear for a day or night phase ... but it helps with winning more times than not. Depends how much one wants that win to happen *shrug*

I was forced to play an entire game as the single active baddie (with 2 inactives after N1/D1) and I managed to win only because the WinCon was to take out and outlive 3 important goodies (which we achieved in D2, without 2 Baddies voting). If it had been a majority WinCon, then, yeah, a Win would have been far less possible for baddies without some luck (winning some coinflips at least). And if that is the case, to survive, Baddies usually build cases and take down other baddies, sacrifice the inactives/weaker players (ability-wise) to get credit and continue to survive undisturbed.

Okay, I just want to say here, that although I was all over KlueApprentice, I did say I was suspicious of curr3nt. It was out of those two but KA was acting very illogical and trying to put blame on people who claimed at the beginning without making any claims himself (I understand he didn't want to narrow down Harry/Ron/Colin for the baddies.)

You did a good job Curr3nt, the only reason I suspected you was because everyone else was ruled out. You did an excellent job of staying under the radar and everything you said sounded like "goodie talk". Klue, everything you said sounded like pushing the blame. Why would you act that way as a goodie? The logical thing for a goodie to do would be to suspect one of the non-claimers, not one of the early claimers. It's not like a baddie could spy kill on N1 and assume a goodie's identity. If somebody else was Dumbledore or one of the claimed stones, wouldn't it have made it a lot easier to narrow it down if they counterclaimed?

Also Klue, why do you openly admit to meta-gaming? You do realise that's against the rules? This is something you have been openly discussing ever since Newbie Mafia 2 and then through all the other mafias you've been in and the shoutbox too! It's not right. And now that the game is over you can tell me what meta-gaming put me as a baddie. I only went by your activity in the thread, and you have to admit you were acting very suspicious. When you kept trying to push for me or Chaits to be lynched or RID killed, it appeared to me as if you were trying to waste all the goodies actions. Those actions would have been much better spent on checking out the unknowns. Can you see it from my point of view? Now can you explain your point of view to me?

Aura, all I can say is that you are carrying over one games feelings into the next.

Be honest and only then try to judge me. I never blamed you, though I did suspect Chaits coz of his closely following Slick.

The meta-gaming I was talking about was wrt to curr3nt that I had immediately explained to shadow after posting it here. But, let me explain it to you now. When Shadow contacted me to replace EDM, I told her that any draft now will immediately be considered to be a baddie, due to baddies inactivity. She told me that not all new drafts need to be baddies, and asked a series of questions related to actions I'll take if I'm in a certain role. Then, I was given the role of a stone. It was simple to assume the other draft is a baddie (which is curr3nt). But, since I wanted to avoid any meta-gaming, I tried to act as if I don't know of this fact and killed any hunch in this regard by focusing on other players.

Among them, Chaits and you had claimed the roles, but then claims never mean anything to me unless there are matching actions. I didn't blame Chaits before he followed Slick. And, when it was mentioned that your claim was not verified, and you immediately flinched; then, you were behaving suspicious to me. 'coz you had nothing to lose if a lynch was proposed on you.

Moreover, in every plan I proposed, I proposed a chain of actions (including some action on me if I go wrong), and explained the logic as well. Tell me, exactly how did you justify your opposing me?

You have kept calling me illogical and suspicious, what exactly did you have on me? I was drafted later in the game, all I could do was read the posts which is not exactly same as living those 2/3 days and hence I was still somewhat detached. If you cannot understand this simple thing then I don't know what to say to you.

Still, if you want to have personal grudges, as you've shown by modifying my nick, let me know. I'll then try to avoid being in a game with you. 'coz I don't want to play another game besides the game.

EDIT: typo

Edited by KlueMaster

I was drafted later in the game, all I could do was read the posts which is not exactly same as living those 2/3 days and hence I was still somewhat detached.

I have to disagree with this statement now that the game is over. Coming into the game late has severe advantages--it forces you to go over the posts and voting patterns with a fresh pair of eyes not blinded by a lot of banter while knowing more about what's going on real-time. There are quite a few times where I've jumped into a game and been able to see things that others haven't, usually because they're too close to it to see it. Other times, I've been the one who was too close to see (read Secret of Mana Mafia and how OT deceived me).

*Shrug*

I've always found that joining a game gives more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

@Molly

While I agree with you on this, perhaps you shall understand the context of my using the term detached. Being a new player, I will not see the game the way old players will, and hence I will not follow their stream of emotions. That's where I will be detached from the popular know-feel about the game. It may bring the advantage of being unbiased, but at the same time I don't have a rapport to capitalize upon (that others have built over past 2/3 days).

EDIT: it seems typos are inevitable with this keyboard and me.

Edited by KlueMaster

I want to first apologize for being a bum and not being able to be online when I should have....:(

Secondly, Congrats to the winners!!! I take no part in this victory, so Congrats to Klue, too...:D

Shadow & Aki....seriously great hosting! You should get into more complex stuff, i feel.....:thumbsup:

Ok, I'll fade away now......:(

... Other times, I've been the one who was too close to see (read Secret of Mana Mafia and how OT deceived me).

*Shrug*

First off, thanks for getting me to go back and read that annihilation. :D

How did OT deceive you? I didn't see it. It seemed like you thought she was good from the start. Or is that what you mean? Shall I let you see the BTSC where I was like "C'mon, let's not kill MM, he really wants to play this game" and she was like ":mad: Be a man, mo! MM must die!" ?

@Klue and Aura - I understand the passion behind your posts, especially now that the game is over ... and I don't want to take sides, cause I saw you both as goodies *shrug*

But just for the record, Klue, EDM had an almost perfect defense after N1, so you were mostly a confirmed Goodie - a vanilla one. What (I believe) Aura expected from you in D3/N4 was to go along with coordinating actions towards people who had not claimed first ... since you had no other private info from night actions to rely on. When you did not, and tried to cast suspicions on those that had claimed/defended in D2, you automatically reminded everyone (myself included) that there is a minor possibility that you could be Malfoy. You basically put yourself into the spotlights again, just when almost everyone (including the Baddies I presume), were thinking Harry RIDed you in N2 and cleared your name (per proposed N2 goodie actions in the thread).

Oh, and btw, finding a nemesis and metagaming about it in later Mafias does happen, and sometimes is fun. Other times, it is speculated by the other faction. You should hear Phaze and Izzy going at it in some games *rolleyes*

Edited by araver