BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

PROLOGUE:

"A no-holds-barred, pull-out-all-the-stops, breathless tangle of thriller..........................A new year at Hogwarts."

A new year at Hogwarts.....................After a weary journey through the "Hogwarts Express", all the students found themselves in the main dining hall, where in front of them, in the middle of the long teachers' table, sat Albus Dumbledore , smiling to see the children back at Hogwarts. Many innocent people (stone) among a few vicious ones. Malfoy gave a disgusted look at Harry, who was busy talking with Hermione and was soon joined by a boy. With that red hair, it was not difficult to identify Ron.

There, in the crowd, stood Ginny, a little nervous but more calm and contented. And among them, stood Colin, happy as ever..............

Nobody knew that among the happy and merry environment of Hogwarts, there existed a "Chamber of Secrets", where Riddle waited, planning viciously and smiling. Another side, Basilik was ready for the night adventures.............

Though some students were new to Hogwarts, they knew of the adventures of last year. They all knew, one mistake and a great damage would ensue.............

• Answers 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hmm, I went back and re-read and I might have been too eager to validate Chaits claim (because 2 and too are similar in fast-typed English :( ).

Since almost everyone has chimed in for the plan, I think it's OK to re-add it with the options that follow the night:

Right now 7 vs 1:

Group 1: Strong claims/Potential Goodies with an action: Aura, Peace, Thalia, YoDell

Group 2: Weak claims/ Likely Baddie among Stones: KlueMaster, Araver, Chaits, Curr3nt

Proposed actions on Group 2 people (coloring with green since this looks like a goodie BTSC now :lol:)

Harry - RID Kill Curr3nt as Malfoy

Ron - Block Chaits

End of night:

Scenario 1: Curr3nt dies - goodies win

Scenario 2: Harry acts, curr3nt does not die. Chaits is blocked. The NK is blocked

Scenario 3: Harry acts, curr3nt does not die, Chaits is blocked. The NK goes through.

(Absurd) scenario 4: Chaits is Harry and will get blocked (since he claimed Stone, this is an absurd scenario).

I will not discuss scenario 1 and 4 since these are straightforward.

Scenario 2: Curr3nt is cleared. Chaits is prime suspect. NK is blocked so Harry, Ron, Colin are still alive.

I don't see the point of the tie with Aura?? First off, see random tie means one of the two is selected. If Aura is selected she will survive the lynch. If Chaits is selected, he will be lynched.

Why not try to lynch Chaits directly?? If he is goodie, then baddies framed him, but having Harry, Ron and Colin alive, next night can go according to a similar plan, taking 2 other suspects from the list.

Scenario 3: Curr3nt is cleared, Chaits is cleared. NK may take target one of Harry, Ron or Colin or one of the other suspects. Making the next night harder to plan. In which case, I propose lynching one of suspects on the list or better yet, verifying Aura's claim (the no-lynch option which preserves numbers).

Now, if all the above is clear, let's add Colin to the mission.

In the case of Scenario 3, none of the people targeted by Harry and Ron are the baddie ... so, it makes sense to add Colin to follow a third suspect. If Colin does not get killed, Colin can confirm if the baddie acted ...

Q: If Malfoy manages to kill and Colin follows Malfoy and survives (i.e. not the NK target), does Colin receive the NK target as the target of Malfoy's "action"?.

So, if the answer to the above is Yes, then

Colin - Follow Araver or KlueMaster or Aura or Thalia or YoDell.

Your pick. If you survive, then you can come back and report/clear an extra someone if Scenario 3 happens and the NK goes through. If you don't survive, nothing is cleared, no info is lost. And KlueMaster is not cleared from your PoV, only from Harry's.

And one final note: I don't see the tie argument. If I'm not around tomorrow, please, in all sanity bandwagon on one suspect if there is one (Scenario 2) or take the no-lynch option, also verify Aura's claim (Scenario 3).

EDIT: Colors adapted for goodie BTSC feel :lol:

Edited by araver

me 2 :) (or '" me too" just to be exact :) )

@Thalia: curr3nt never says smth which is not true (which is not the same as always telling the truth :) ) - on the other hand , he's bending the truth in his favor

Anyway, if the RID KILL on him is incorrect, then he's cleared, and we can easily lynch Chaits tomorrow ...

In case araver's scenario nr.3 come into action then we're all wrong anyway and then everyone is open game at that moment ....

Hmm. My post seems to have disappeared. If there is a tie between Dumbledore and another role, doesn't the other role get lynched?

Based on previous Mafias, no. Dumbledore is not removed from the tie. Just can't be lynched = in case he is selected to lynch (either by plurality or selected randomly from the tie), he is revealed and does not die.

In the last HP Mafia, Devil's Snare was the equivalent of Dumbledore. In that Mafia, it said that Devil's Snare would be removed from the randomisation.

My bad then. Though that is a little weird, it is possible. And if the host already ruled on that in a previous Mafia, then yes, that is the most likely answer.

But IMHO, that is an extra ability e.g. cannot be tied. Semantics. The unlynchable part just covers surviving a lynch. Not a tie.

wont sceneario 4 not happen becasse RID >> block?

Correct, that was a red herring (hence the absurd tag, twice). It was supposed to tell me if anyone is actually considering the plan and trying to catch/patch any flaws or just skim-read or keep flaws to themselves :rolleyes:

Correct, that was a red herring (hence the absurd tag, twice). It was supposed to tell me if anyone is actually considering the plan and trying to catch/patch any flaws or just skim-read or keep flaws to themselves :rolleyes:

oh. i just ruined that then. :P

Dumbledore is removed from randomisation, but you are not told whether Dumbledore was in the tie or not. Basically, two people are tied, one dies. Post says that, doesn't say whether it's pure random or the living is dumbledore.

Night 4

Harry was indecisive. He knew he wanted Malfoy, but which mask hid the boy? Finally he decided on curr3nt and cast his spell. "Sectumsempra" he cried; Malfoy doubled over in pain.

At the same time, Ron tracked down Chaits and cried "stupefy".

Game over. Goodies win.

Inactive banned from my next game: Segul, Q-cumber, EDM.

God, I needed to replace inactives quicker. In future, one period without a post and without warning in public means you will be replaced. Without warning from me.

Period=24 hours. Day or night, but it only takes one.

And re: Dumbledore. The post will say it's a tie, but Dumbledore will not go to random.org, but he's still on the tie list, just guaranteed not chosen.

just for replacments - i understnad its your choice, but EDM had internet troubles, and explained. Its annoying, but just so you know its wasnt purposeful. :P

AND YAY! :D

ETA: and can we have the full roster w/ roles please? thanks! :D

ETA2: and who was harry? i probably whoul have it bynow, and i have my guess, butjust a confirmation, please :)

Edited by peace*out

I'm on an iPod it will come in the next few days on the mafiamaniac wiki, when I can do so from a computer.

Just a quick lol, N1, Colin was redirected from araver to araver

N4, curr suicided.