BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Xxxx Rollo

Xxxx Rollo is a thread establishing a variation of the game started by unreality. This post serves to setout some unambiguous, community-determined rules for the game and introduce some more flexibility regarding word length, etc.

HOW THE GAME PROCEEDS

Someone thinks of a word and posts a prompt for people to start guessing "???...???", which serves to nominate the word length.

The host may specify what scheme they will use for Clue Points but if not stated, 'Standard' Clue Points will apply (see below).

People begin guessing words.

When a word is guessed, the host puts CLUE POINTS next to the guess (Standard is "how many letters were in the correct position").

You cannot 'win' by just guessing some of the right letters though. To earn a SCORE you must either:

* "logick" one of the word's letters via an explanation of why that letter has to be logically 100% in that position; OR

* correctly identify the entire word.

When the host accepts a "logick", question-mark(s) are replaced with letter(s) and the poster is given a SCORE of +5 per letter.

When a player posts the entire word as a guess then that player gets a SCORE of +10 for the completed word.

Note that guessing the complete word does not count as the equivalent of "logicking" every individual letter.

The host receives a SCORE of +1 for each incorrect guessed word and also +5 for each incorrectly "logicked" letter/position.

RULES/LIMITATIONS

These limitations are intended to create an unambiguously fair situation but if a dispute arises not covered by them,

then the Host shall resolve the matter and these sules should be amended to suit and reposted in full.

* WORDS - To be valid, both answers & guesses must be in at least one dictionary and answers may not be proper nouns.

* DICTIONARIES - Validation dictionaries are TheFreeDictionary.Com, Merriam-Webster and Oxford.

* SCORING - 5/logicked letter & 10/complete word for Guessers AND 1/incorrect guess & 5/flawed logick for Host

* SCORE CAPS - A cap to each players' SCORE of 30 per game, applying to both host and guessers

* MULTIPLE GUESSES - You may only guess multiple words in a single post if no clue points exist for any guesses

* MULTIPLE SUCCESSIVE GUESS POSTS - You may only post successive posts if they are at least 2 minutes apart

* PROOFS - any number of letter proofs are allowed in a single post

* CLUE POINTS - (for nomination by host - either 'Standard', 'curr3nt' or another scheme defined):

'Standard' Clue Points = Number of letters in the correct position

'Curr3nt' Clue Points = Number of letters in the correct position and 0.5 for each letter in an adjacent position

You can see discussions surrounding

Edited by WombatBreath

I wont take any points from this game, as it looks like proofs get harder and harder to construct as the word length increases. I wouldn't be surprised if we find eight or nine letters is close to being the practical word length limit.

???????????

SOMERSAULTS - 2 

DRAGONFLIES - 1 

INTERESTING - 3 

INVESTMENTS - 1 

INVENTORIES - 2 

Score Changes: none yet

???????????

SOMERSAULTS - 2 	OBSTRUCTION - 4 

DRAGONFLIES - 1 	INSTRUCTION - 4 

INTERESTING - 3 	UTILIZATION - 5 

INVESTMENTS - 1 

INVENTORIES - 2 

Score Changes: none yet

INSTRUCTING

If the value is 2, last letters are ON b/c last are only change.

If the value is 6, last letters are NG b/c last are only change.

In both cases, the referenced change is from INSTRUCTION=4

?????????ON

SOMERSAULTS - 2 	OBSTRUCTION - 4 

INVESTMENTS - 1 	CONTROVERSY - 1 

INVENTORIES - 2 	INSTRUCTING - 2 

Score Changes: Shadow7 +10 (Yay first proof)

INSTRUCTORS

If 1, last unknown letter is I b/c last 3 are only difference from INSTRUCTING=2 with last 2 known wrong.

If 3, last unknown letter is O for the same reason.

INSTRUCTORS

If 1, last unknown letter is I b/c last 3 are only difference from INSTRUCTING=2 with last 2 known wrong.

If 3, last unknown letter is O for the same reason.

Shadow - I'm sure that what you are intending to identify is correct but can you be explicit and state which number letter you are referring to, when you say "unknown". Which letter # ?

?????????ON

SOMERSAULTS - 2 	OBSTRUCTION - 4 	INSTRUCTORS - 1 

Score Changes: Shadow7 +10 (+? pending clarification from shadow7)

Shadow - I'm sure that what you are intending to identify is correct but can you be explicit and state which number letter you are referring to, when you say "unknown". Which letter # ?

3rd letter from the back. the one right before ON

????????ION

Score Changes: Shadow7 +15

????????ION

DRAGONFLIES - 1 	INSTRUCTION - 4 	DEMARCATION - 6 

INTERESTING - 3 	UTILIZATION - 5 	SUBDIVISION - 3 

INVESTMENTS - 1 	CONTROVERSY - 1 	INDENTATION - 6 

Score Changes: Shadow7 +15

Even though strictly speaking JDave was wrong, because 'indenturing' scored 2, I feel that in the spirit of the game he gets the points because his logic was sound and the '1' was probably a typo. JDave - please correct the score in your game if I'm wrong.

CELEBRATION

DRAGONFLIES - 1 	INSTRUCTION - 4 	DEMARCATION - 6 

INTERESTING - 3 	UTILIZATION - 5 	SUBDIVISION - 3 

INVESTMENTS - 1 	CONTROVERSY - 1 	INDENTATION - 6 

INVENTORIES - 2 	INSTRUCTING - 2 	INDENTURING - 2 

Score Changes: Shadow7 +15, JDave +20, WbB 0 (just testing)

Shadow7: 15

JDave: 20

To clarify scoring: Note that this thread awards proofs and the word completion separately (word completion does not count as a proof of all letters). Shadow7 proved 3 letters, JDave proved 2 letters, then JDave got the complete word.

Not sure that my initial thought of 11 being too long was right or not - we got there in the end.

Edited by WombatBreath

WombatBreath you are a gentleman. I picked indentation/indenturing to swap out the ation but forgot about the common 'I' when I went to type it in. My logic was sound but I miscounted. I'll take 5 points for the logic and amend my score to 15.

So this is variable length, huh? How about 8 letters since that hasn't been done yet.

????????