BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

One Up Me

TheCube

PLEASE READ THIS

Rookie contacted me to ask if we'd agreed on rules for this thread.

The reason he asked is because 2 members have down-repped one of the participants on at least 5 occasions.

As such, there is nothing in the forum rules to stop this. However, if there are rules in place for the thread, then (as he has said earlier) at least etiquette dictates that it shouldn't be done.

I think that if 1 player is being frequently down-repped then it smacks of a personal attack and that is just plain wrong.

So, I propose we agree to some sort of rules. My thoughts are simply this:

No down repping at all, unless of course the post is so disgusting/offensive/obnoxious as to warrant it. If that is the case then I hope the poster is reported anyway. If someone's answer doesn't tickle your sense of humor, that doesn't make it wrong.

The problem we have - as Tiger Lily has touched on - is that rep points are currently being handed out like confetti. It used to be that you got a rep point for setting a really good puzzle, or giving a really good answer. I won't go too much into the history of it, but I think we may have gone too far down the road to return to the old ways.

Please add your own comments, and hopefully we can swiftly get some rules in place.

PLEASE READ THIS

Rookie contacted me to ask if we'd agreed on rules for this thread.

The reason he asked is because 2 members have down-repped one of the participants on at least 5 occasions.

As such, there is nothing in the forum rules to stop this. However, if there are rules in place for the thread, then (as he has said earlier) at least etiquette dictates that it shouldn't be done.

I think that if 1 player is being frequently down-repped then it smacks of a personal attack and that is just plain wrong.

No down repping at all, unless of course the post is so disgusting/offensive/obnoxious as to warrant it. If that is the case then I hope the poster is reported anyway. If someone's answer doesn't tickle your sense of humor, that doesn't make it wrong.

The problem we have - as Tiger Lily has touched on - is that rep points are currently being handed out like confetti. It used to be that you got a rep point for setting a really good puzzle, or giving a really good answer. I won't go too much into the history of it, but I think we may have gone too far down the road to return to the old ways.

Please add your own comments, and hopefully we can swiftly get some rules in place.

I will adhere to whatever rules are agreed-upon, but I really don't have any preference one way or the other. Rep means nothing to me. *Shrug*

Down-repping allows one person to make a spread, so unless everyone's doing it, it should be disallowed. Only voting for one per round is limited by late contributors (especially when t_l shows up late and blows us out of the water). =P

Anon's idea of allowing down-reps, but only back to 0 is right up my alley.

Feel free to down-rep this post (even into negatives) if you disagree.

Back to the game, though: "The situation was like a fox in a henhouse....."

@Anon: so did my bro!!! :D

@General BDs: I know whoever had down-repped me hates me for some reason or doesn't want me to join in One-Up Me.......whatever it is....only the Admin/Mods have a right to prevent me from playing to participating in any thread......However, if you have a beef with me, I suggest you PM me telling me why you hate/dislike me/my style so much....it'll make you feel better and I can improve myself, if you wish..... :)

Back to the game:

The situation was like a fox in a henhouse...the cops had to shoot the robbers and take all the jewelry into custody..... :)

Here's where I find the sticking point to this debate:

Once you give rep points (positive or negative) to a post, you can't then remove them later.

I think it's fair for a person to decide they wouldn't have given a post rep points except to vote in this game situation & want to return to "neutral" for that post after voting is closed.

So, if rookie can (after all, it might not be an option in the current set up) AND is willing (it might be a pain in the a$$) to allow members to change the status of the reps they've given on a post, I think it's fair for members to make up their own mind about changing the status of their "vote" after voting is closed for that subject. If not, well - continue as we've begun is probably the easiest.

At the very least, there should be absolutely NO DOWN-REPPING for the current voting.

So, if rookie can (after all, it might not be an option in the current set up) AND is willing (it might be a pain in the a$$) to allow members to change the status of the reps they've given on a post, I think it's fair for members to make up their own mind about changing the status of their "vote" after voting is closed for that subject. If not, well - continue as we've begun is probably the easiest.

At the very least, there should be absolutely NO DOWN-REPPING for the current voting.

Members are not and will not be able to change their reputation given.