BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

there are two sheet of paper (paper sheet A and paper sheet B)of equal size(height, length, width ) and weight and drop them from same height then how would you ensure that paper sheet A would land first??(Of course, nothing could be attached and added to either sheet of paper.)

good luck..

22 answers to this question

Two possibilities:

drop sheet A first (since I don't think the riddle specified that)

But that's way too easy, and probably not what you're looking for, so...

wad it or fold it up (to reduce drag, thereby making it fall faster)

Edited by jpar1983

To ensure A lands first, I would want to reduce random variability and to do that I would modify both A and B. A would be folded to its most compact and as close to a sphere as possible to reduce it's surface area so there is less air resistance. B should be folded into a large shape to ensure it has a lot of air resistance. Its shape does not have to be closed however, and it will probably fall slower if its shape has a missing side, like a cube with a missing side or half a sphere, something like a parachute shape. Whether a parachute falls right side up, upside down, or on its side, it should still take longer than a wad of paper to fall.

One common answer is definitely wrong. One dropped vertically and one dropped horizontally is insufficient since there is no means to insure that they will remain in that orientation. Whether dropped horizontally or vertically, given enough height, it will not continue in its original orientation but will constantly change orientation all the way to the ground. I like gresleysteve's answer, though the other common answer is probably correct.

Cut or tear slits toward the center in B. This will slow its decent when dropped. Then make small folds from one end of A until the length is reduced to about half its original size, then fold in the opposite plane to gifi you a pencil shaped results with one end heavier and drop A with heavy side down. Extra weight on bottom will insure continued vertical orientation making it fall faster than simple folding.

N, a sphere will not necessarily have the least air drag. some aerodynamic shape will be better. For sheet B, best thing will be to leave it as an unfolded sheet of paper.

To ensure A lands first, I would want to reduce random variability and to do that I would modify both A and B. A would be folded to its most compact and as close to a sphere as possible to reduce it's surface area so there is less air resistance. B should be folded into a large shape to ensure it has a lot of air resistance. Its shape does not have to be closed however, and it will probably fall slower if its shape has a missing side, like a cube with a missing side or half a sphere, something like a parachute shape. Whether a parachute falls right side up, upside down, or on its side, it should still take longer than a wad of paper to fall.

An unfolded sheet would have a variable descent. If it were to fall with its flat side exposed the whole way, that would be slower, but if it flips so that it cuts through the air then that would be its fastest speed possible.

N, a sphere will not necessarily have the least air drag. some aerodynamic shape will be better. For sheet B, best thing will be to leave it as an unfolded sheet of paper.

Two possibilities:

drop sheet A first (since I don't think the riddle specified that)

But that's way too easy, and probably not what you're looking for, so...

wad it or fold it up (to reduce drag, thereby making it fall faster)

for #2 :thumbsup:

The OP claims needs to "ensure" a hit the ground first. I'm pretty sure this problem is logic based, not physics based.

dwardodweebs067 provided the most elegant logical answer.

for #2 :thumbsup:

not expected so many answers most of them are correct but dropping sheet horizontally and vertically possibly not correct...

@dwardodweeb :thumbsup: for witty answer..

@gresleysteve :thumbsup: for applying physics...

You synchronise it so that e.g - a plane covered in glue flies underneath at the right time to catch paper B. OR stand over a waste paper basket and drop A to the ground & B in the wastepaper basket. OR drop both and catch B before it hits the ground.

crumple "b" into a ball then crumple "a" around it, ensuring "a" would always land first.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Can I change my answer?

Seriously, I like this one!

Wait, I think I got it.

Make a paper airplane of paper a and hold it down so it shoots down. I know from experience that if you aim an airplane right and have one that shoots straight and true, you could have paper A down first.

Edited by teasemybrain

there are two sheet of paper (paper sheet A and paper sheet B)of equal size(height, length, width ) and weight and drop them from same height then how would you ensure that paper sheet A would land first??(Of course, nothing could be attached and added to either sheet of paper.)

good luck..

by folding paper A as much as we can so that it rips through air and land faster ( this wud work in non vacuum medium)